Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimmeracer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hi,
I just ordered a new iMac with the following specs just for video editing:
27" iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i7 3.5GHz
8GB RAM
3TB Fusion Drive - I got this setup with the 3TB fusion for a good deal due to the fact that it was an open-box, otherwise I would of went with a SSD.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780MX with 4GB of GDDR5

My question is, what is the best way for me to setup my hard drives (OS, Programs, Pagefile, Media Cache, Media, Projects, Previews, Exports, etc.) for editing with the this iMac and hard drives that I own?

I currently use a combination of a 6TB Lacie Raid-0 HD and a 1.5TB OWC FW-800 Raid-0 for video editing on my MBP which has a SSD and oem 750gb HD.

iMac Setup:
3TB Fusion: OS, Programs, Parallel
6TB Lacie Raid: Video Storage/Media Drive

1TB OWC USB 3 external:
Multiple OWB FW-800 Externals:
I might consider getting a Lacie 1TB thunderbolt HD, if it will be of any significant benefit.
I do plan on getting a arc-8050 raid somewhere down the line, but that is out of my budget right now.

Also, I am already familiar with the standard guidelines for disk usage which is in the link below, but since the iMac cannot be configured with multiple HDs, I am looking for any suggestions from people knowledge with this kind of setup.
http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/Jive...line+Disks.jpg

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.