Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Vox Music Player Updated with Redesigned Interface, Gapless Playback

Coppertino's Vox music player today received a new update, bringing a refreshed design that displays album art and hides playback controls until needed, along with new features such as gapless playback and improved searching across devices and file locations. The update also features improved multi-device support and bug fixes addressing previous issues with radio stations and general stability.

Quote:
Well known in the Mac community for delivering gorgeous sound, intuitive user features and flexible file support, VOX 2.0's most exciting update is the completely redesigned smart interface, which now slickly displays album art; seamlessly tucks away controls until needed, and offers perhaps the most lightweight, flexible, modern music player available for OS X. Additionally, Mac fans asked and Coppertino listened. VOX 2.0 now features gapless playback that eliminates pauses between audio tracks.

VOX 2.0 updates include:
- New playlist formats for export;
- Smarter searching across all devices and file locations;
- Improved multi-device support via the Audio MIDI;
- Several bug fixes address some minor issues that occurred when changing radio stations, stability when handling high loads and with services support.
Originally launched last August, Vox is designed to be a replacement for playing music within iTunes, and supports a wide variety of audio formats including MP3, FLAC, AAC, Musepack, Ogg Vorbis, WAV, and more. Vox can import an existing iTunes library with metadata, and also offers offers a built-in equalizer as well as internet radio connectivity, which is available as an in-app purchase.

Vox 2.0 is available in the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Vox Music Player Updated with Redesigned Interface, Gapless Playback
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:04 AM   #2
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know what it means that Vox imports iTunes music? Does it double the space and create it's own library or does it share the library?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:08 AM   #3
iReinventnv
macrumors newbie

This is just an add
iReinventnv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:12 AM   #4
starbird
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJism23 View Post
Does anyone know what it means that Vox imports iTunes music? Does it double the space and create it's own library or does it share the library?
My question, too. Also, how does it handle iTunes in the iCloud / iTunes Match songs?
starbird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:14 AM   #5
tMac7
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It just uses/scans your iTunes Library and plays the music from there. So no copies will be created.

But does anyone know if you can apply effects again? I heard that Vox had this feature but it was removed. Would be great to play my music with 432 Hz again.
tMac7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:19 AM   #6
attila
macrumors 6502

If only this could replace iOS sync...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:23 AM   #7
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

So is it worth the download or what? Must be if MR is using this indirect ad placement.
iEnvy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:56 AM   #8
sigma7
macrumors member

CloudPlay + Vox =
sigma7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:05 AM   #9
SBlue1
macrumors 6502a

Its slow. Plus it can find my Apple TV but not my Airport Express stereo. Deleted it.
SBlue1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:30 AM   #10
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 603

Nice app.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Coppertino
macrumors newbie

Quote:
VOX uses (share) the same library (iTunes library).
Coppertino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:45 AM   #12
energyboy
Banned

Awesome update!

But a few bugs:

My only gripe is that the animation when hovering over the player is a bit choppy on Mountain Lion but only animates when actually in the program. When a different app is the topmost app, hovering over the player does nothing. When Vox is top most, it doesn't transition to the controls immediately. There needs to be a way to disable the transition, and allow users to bring the controls from menu bar instead (I almost always have the same controls and never change them).

Song title scrolling doesn't work unless its kicked in by actually being in the app, it doesn't always display when something else is topmost.

The fading in/out between Artist and Album Title is annoying, there should be some method of control or display options, like a scrolling marquee on two lines:

Artist Name - Album Title
Track Title

An option to turn off the scrolling would be nice too.

As far as it's design... its absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I liked version 0.2.8 for the minimalism, version 1.0 for its redesign but this slightly flatter look is absolutely PERFECT. I hope to god they don't change it, its the first time I've actually appreciated and liked a bit of a flat look. Less is more and the UI designer on this did an amazing job. THANK YOU!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppertino View Post
VOX uses (share) the same library (iTunes library).
It can also be disabled, which is great!
energyboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:00 PM   #13
tkermit
macrumors 68030

Feels sort of Metro-ish…rather CPU intensive unfortunately (if you look at the effect on the activity of the WindowServer and kernel_task processes)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vox.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	458636   Click image for larger version

Name:	metro.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	458637  
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:15 PM   #14
parish
macrumors 65816

Nice update, but a couple of minor gripes.

It's not displaying album art in the player but it is in the Dock icon The previous version did display it in the player (but just a small icon in the top left corner).

In the previous version the currently playing track was displayed in yellow/orange - title, artist, etc. - but in the version the only indication is that the track number is replaced by a small equaliser icon which makes finding the current track in large playlists a bit tricky - have to scroll through slower.

Great player though. I mainly use it for playing FLACs to save having to convert to ALAC for iTunes.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:22 PM   #15
glenbogle
macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me on how to get the prefspane for using the keyboard controls to work? It's all installed as it should be, but if I try to use them nothing happens in Vox and iTunes opens.

Any ideas?
glenbogle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 05:31 PM   #16
tkermit
macrumors 68030

Anyone else have the problem that it doesn't remember your preferences and reopens the intro animation every time you open the app?

I see the following errors turn up in the Console:
Code:
Vox[23810]: NSUbiquitousKeyValueStore error: com.coppertino.Vox does not have a valid com.apple.developer.ubiquity-kvstore-identifier entitlement
syncdefaultsd[22466]: Can't register com.coppertino.Vox
usernoted[202]: ApplePushService: entitlement check for 'com.apple.developer.aps-environment' failed for 'Vox' (23810)
I've also noticed that the iTunes library parsing would suddenly fail after a few hours of usage.

EDIT: After deleting the prefpane and app itself as well as the com.coppertino.Vox container-folder and then restarting the system, the preferences seem to stick now, although the error messages still remain.

EDIT2: Again experiencing issues with the iTunes Library functionality. Guess I'll have to live without it for the time being. It's been like this for some time and restarting the app shows no effect.

EDIT3: Deleting every file whose name starts with 'iTunesMusicSource.storedata' from ~/Library/Containers/com.coppertino.Vox/Data/Library/Application Support/Vox helped fix it this time, although I have a feeling the issue will return
Attached Images

Last edited by tkermit; Jan 28, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
tkermit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:48 PM   #17
energyboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkermit View Post
Anyone else have the problem that it doesn't remember your preferences and reopens the intro animation every time you open the app?

I see the following errors turn up in the Console:
Code:
Vox[23810]: NSUbiquitousKeyValueStore error: com.coppertino.Vox does not have a valid com.apple.developer.ubiquity-kvstore-identifier entitlement
syncdefaultsd[22466]: Can't register com.coppertino.Vox
usernoted[202]: ApplePushService: entitlement check for 'com.apple.developer.aps-environment' failed for 'Vox' (23810)
I've also noticed that the iTunes library parsing would suddenly fail after a few hours of usage.

EDIT: After deleting the prefpane and app itself as well as the com.coppertino.Vox container-folder and then restarting the system, the preferences seem to stick now, although the error messages still remain.

EDIT2: Again experiencing issues with the iTunes Library functionality. Guess I'll have to live without it for the time being. It's been like this for some time and restarting the app shows no effect.

EDIT3: Deleting every file whose name starts with 'iTunesMusicSource.storedata' from ~/Library/Containers/com.coppertino.Vox/Data/Library/Application Support/Vox helped fix it this time, although I have a feeling the issue will return
How big is your itunes library?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:06 PM   #18
tkermit
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyboy View Post
How big is your itunes library?
12k songs, ~200GB
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:17 AM   #19
n-evo
macrumors 6502a

Terrible interface. Guess the developers never heard of Aqua.
n-evo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 08:30 AM   #20
JavaTheHut
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbogle View Post
Can anyone help me on how to get the prefspane for using the keyboard controls to work? It's all installed as it should be, but if I try to use them nothing happens in Vox and iTunes opens.

Any ideas?
Go to The Apple System Pref under "Other" and you will see "Vox"
JavaTheHut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 09:24 AM   #21
filfortugno
macrumors regular

Just Upgraded

Very nice update! Gapless playback finally makes its way onto Vox, really happy with the UI and doubling up with iTunes makes my Mac listening experience quite nice.
filfortugno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:31 AM   #22
energyboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-evo View Post
Terrible interface. Guess the developers never heard of Aqua.
Aqua is over a decade old. The design is clean and fantastic. Its nice to see a change after 10 years... its long overdue.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:44 AM   #23
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

Shame that you lose the Radio feature devs offered MR members when the app first launched back in August
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:54 PM   #24
rjtrigo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastinger View Post
Shame that you lose the Radio feature devs offered MR members when the app first launched back in August
For the radio, try this: http: //coppertino.com/vox/unlockradio.php?code=RUVOX

Cheers
rjtrigo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:55 AM   #25
dastinger
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtrigo View Post
For the radio, try this: http: //coppertino.com/vox/unlockradio.php?code=RUVOX

Cheers
Got it! Thank you so much!
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote