Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Too lazy to move forward? I feel as if the only major thing they will do is make the screen bigger and nothing else. I heard they will still keep the same camera sensor? Very stupid...Apple is too predictable lately and I miss Steve Jobs's magical imagination.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
What do you mean "as much as the s5". We have no idea what is in the pipeline officially for both Apple and Samsung.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Will iPhone 6 innovate as much as the Galaxy S5 or is Tim Cook

Not sure what the issue here is. Touchid is something Samsung is throwing in supposedly on the s5. 64 bit also. Most people I've seen said a bigger screen is about the main wish (better battery life too but that's every phone just about)

Camera? The 5s is a really good camera, better than the s4. 8mp is plenty if the sensor is improved.

Honestly I like the 4 inch screen but I see why people want bigger. 4.5 IMO is the sweet spot for the next iPhone. To each his own I guess

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
To be fair it's hard to keep up the pace of innovation that started with the original iPhone, but I wonder what Apple could have done if they would have tried to innovate instead of creating iOS 7?

I'm expecting more disappointing incremental upgrades, Android and iOS taking each others best ideas, and various mobile devices leap frogging each other with the "best smartphone" crown.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Too lazy to move forward? I feel as if the only major thing they will do is make the screen bigger and nothing else. I heard they will still keep the same camera sensor? Very stupid...Apple is too predictable lately and I miss Steve Jobs's magical imagination.

Right, because Apple hasn't done or released anything new or imaginative since the 4S... :rolleyes:

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
S5? Innovated? I think not. Especially since nothing is confirmed at this point or released to even suggest it's groundbreaking smh.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
S5? Innovated? I think not. Especially since nothing is confirmed at this point or released to even suggest it's groundbreaking smh.

IMO, groundbreaking is over in the mobile space. Until the phone becomes a chip you wear that projects a hologram and reacts based on neural input, it'll just be more of the same.

The only company that has done anything remotely innovative is Motorola with their active listening and notifications yet it is not catching on because Motorola isn't a mainstream brand.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011

Ok. I wish I could make this a sticky but I cant.
The argument for more megapixels makes me crazy.
Im a professional photographer. Let me explain this. The 8mp sensor in the 5s is great.
YOU better hope they keep the 8mp array and make the pixels bigger and better.
The reason images are soft in phones is because of the on chip noise reduction. With sensors this small, the pixels are very small.
They struggle to see light. When they need more light, the phone raises the ISO on the sensor to boost signal and amplify light input essentially and this creats noise(grainy) pictures. Then camera makers turn on the noise reduction to smooth things out but that removes details hence lowering the effective resolution.
I'll keep 8mp. That resolution is fine for prints 11x14 all day long. Not that anyone who takes pictures with a phone are printing these days.
We shot all studio work for years with Canon 20D, 30D which were 8mp. They looked great when shot correctly.
I want Apple to keep making pixels better and better. This lowers the need for Noise Reduction and keeps my fine details.
Also....GLASS. GLASS GLASS GLASS!!!!
The difference between the 4s and 5/5s was night and day. And it was ALL LENS quality. Keeping the glare down. Lens coating reduced lens flare which raised contrast and made colors look great.
Quit worrying about MP's
start demanding pixel innovation.
Apple should keep up processor work.
My 5s is fast. Apps that are optimized for the processor SINGS!
I dont use touch ID. I love the Slo-Mo video. Its incredible to have in a phone.
Side by side with my 5 using stock apps it only seems marginally faster.
But processing a movie in iMovie you can tell a difference for sure.

What else can be innovated in a phone. For Christ sakes there's not much left.
A battery that lasts for 2-3 days would be great. But what else. Drive us places. I'm dying to know, what realistic feature is everyone SO hung up on that they're demanding. Most features are just gimmicks. I turn off parallax on my 5 and 5s. Its just a processor hog.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
This is just an example between the 4s and the 5.
and the 5s is even better.
The only light on in this room is the lamp. All camera settings were same.
1/15th shutter
2.4 Aperture
ISO500 on both.
Look at difference in lens flare. These phones were held side by side in same spot. Look at grain in 4s picture, the details are better in 5 and no flare. Less grain. The 4s is the washed out one with lens flare.
The 5s got better. If they keep the 6 with same pixels array, just better pixels, maybe better glass and faster autofocus. This would be a real world improvement and you'll get great images in real world use like family pics in living room. Every image is not shot in perfect condition's.
Just something to think about.
Most of the reason why people think they need more pixels is because they think, "My images are soft, pixels equal resolution which equals clearer pictures"
Try making sure subject is whats in focus and quit taking pictures one handed in crap light. Youre getting camera shake. Its not the resolution.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 189

Zyiros

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2014
Apple implements features slowly and does it well. Other companies such as Samsung implement everything, but its buggy and often doesn't offer the best experience. I'm not saying a Samsung phone is a wrong choice, as many have chosen to switch to Samsung phones.

However, these are my thoughts. Apple needs an iPhone with a bigger screen. They can no longer get away with 4". There are many consumers who doubt they would like a bigger iPhone screen–say 4.7"–but when they use one (like when I switched to Android), they will find no problems at all using it.

And Apple needs to get rid of all the white and some of the poorly designed apps on iOS. Apps such as calendar and the music app on iPad just don't cut it and are poorly designed.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Here's an example of what can be done with the 5s. Sitting at a restraunt table. This was my dinner the other night.
No flash. Look at the details. That looks better than most product shots on menu in some of these restaurants.
Only secret about this image. Off camera lighting. I used my old 5 that belongs to my wife. Used the new ios7 feature, turned on her flash light and used it in correct location to give depth. Just cause Im OCD and like to play and this is it. Untouched. That would hold up 11x14 all day long.
The other image shows a pull back shot showing how it was done. Sent to my Photog buddies playing around.

Attachments

• IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 178

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Apple implements features slowly and does it well. Other companies such as Samsung implement everything, but its buggy and often doesn't offer the best experience. I'm not saying a Samsung phone is a wrong choice, as many have chosen to switch to Samsung phones.

However, these are my thoughts. Apple needs an iPhone with a bigger screen. They can no longer get away with 4". There are many consumers who doubt they would like a bigger iPhone screen–say 4.7"–but when they use one (like when I switched to Android), they will find no problems at all using it.

And Apple needs to get rid of all the white and some of the poorly designed apps on iOS. Apps such as calendar and the music app on iPad just don't cut it and are poorly designed.

Agreed completely. I had 2 droids. Hate the buggy part. I swore Id never do large screen. But,as I realize I never use my phone one handed, a larger screen would be great for view and hence larger phone body brings bigger battery.
If I use one handed, its texting and Apples great voice text is my tool of choice, its very accurate.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
This is just an example between the 4s and the 5.
and the 5s is even better.
The only light on in this room is the lamp. All camera settings were same.
1/15th shutter
2.4 Aperture
ISO500 on both.
Look at difference in lens flare. These phones were held side by side in same spot. Look at grain in 4s picture, the details are better in 5 and no flare. Less grain. The 4s is the washed out one with lens flare.
The 5s got better. If they keep the 6 with same pixels array, just better pixels, maybe better glass and faster autofocus. This would be a real world improvement and you'll get great images in real world use like family pics in living room. Every image is not shot in perfect condition's.
Just something to think about.
Most of the reason why people think they need more pixels is because they think, "My images are soft, pixels equal resolution which equals clearer pictures"
Try making sure subject is whats in focus and quit taking pictures one handed in crap light. Youre getting camera shake. Its not the resolution.

Finally, an expert speaks. Great posts - very enlightening.

People who complain that Apple isn't innovating are just looking for the next big thing. The problem is that by definition the next big thing doesn't come around very often. Most of technology is incremental improvements.

For the iphone 6, I'd be happy with incremental improvements and a bigger screen. I think Apple will win back quite a few people from the Samsung crowd with a bigger screen.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
All the repeated claims that Apples not innovating are mostly caused by those who worshiped Steve Jobs, who set unrealistic expectations. The master at convincing people only Apple new best, and they must look to Apple to guide them. So like obedient children they continue to buy tiny iPhone's, while some act out asking for a larger screen.

Now that he's gone they take out their frustration on Tim Cook, who inherited the impossible task of taking Steve's place. Making matters worse the press, public and blogosphere romanticize Jobs role like he was their God. Sure he was exceptional, but he didn't do it all by himself.

Now that Apple must compete on a slightly more level playing field, there's no hiding their weakness behind the smoke and mirrors of the past. Tim now reveals the reality, yet hides behind words. We've got big things coming...

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO

With Apple all the time innovating back and forth like Steve with his magical special innovating tool like with special wrenches and bigger screen making things and the major predictable censoring camera stuff like never before lately to innovate with big stuff and not lazy anymore to innovate with big imagination muscles and stuff you betcha innovating more than GalaxyS5 can innovate by Tim Cook to innovate the innovating for sure.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Here's an example of what can be done with the 5s. Sitting at a restraunt table. This was my dinner the other night.
No flash. Look at the details. That looks better than most product shots on menu in some of these restaurants.
Only secret about this image. Off camera lighting. I used my old 5 that belongs to my wife. Used the new ios7 feature, turned on her flash light and used it in correct location to give depth. Just cause Im OCD and like to play and this is it. Untouched. That would hold up 11x14 all day long.
The other image shows a pull back shot showing how it was done. Sent to my Photog buddies playing around.

MMMMM. that looks tasty! picture and subject. ;)

SRS, thanks man. Sooo many people I talk with have these unrealistic expectations of their "camera phones" its mind boggling. Yea, where I'm at, most people still refer to them as camera phones. The average consumer has been trained to see MP, and PPI. It's all marketing. If one phone company pushes MP, apple gets deemed "sub-par" even in fields they conquer. Uninformed consumerism is the devil, and it makes me sick.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 6 and trending toward larger screen

I concur. Apple may put out a larger screen. Anywhere from a .8 inch larger to a full 1 inch larger. Wowziers....be still my heart. They lost the momentum by screwing around with the same size phone instead of advancing. It is just catchup with Samsung now and others.:eek:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This guy makes some of the worst topics. But I'll bite.

How can an unannounced product be "innovating"? Also going by past track records, what exactly has Samsung "innovated"? Marketing isn't innovating and neither is a big screen. Their flagship S4 was merely the "spec bump" over the S3 that iPhone detractors deride Apple for. They didn't even release the best Android phone last year, they just have the best known Android brand due to their massive marketing budget. So I'd hardly say that's a company that I would go by for a metric on what "innovation" is.

jread

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
with apple all the time innovating back and forth like steve with his magical special innovating tool like with special wrenches and bigger screen making things and the major predictable censoring camera stuff like never before lately to innovate with big stuff and not lazy anymore to innovate with big imagination muscles and stuff you betcha innovating more than galaxys5 can innovate by tim cook to innovate the innovating for sure.

wat

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Thank you Photogdave for your useful information. Appreciated.

Apple will make a big splash this fall with a larger iPhone. 4.7" or 4.8" most likely. They will continue the 4" model too with identical specs.

I'd like to see them stop the push for thinner phones and instead provide more battery life.

suprakc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013
Utah
Ok. I wish I could make this a sticky but I cant.
The argument for more megapixels makes me crazy.
Im a professional photographer. Let me explain this. The 8mp sensor in the 5s is great.
YOU better hope they keep the 8mp array and make the pixels bigger and better.
The reason images are soft in phones is because of the on chip noise reduction. With sensors this small, the pixels are very small.
They struggle to see light. When they need more light, the phone raises the ISO on the sensor to boost signal and amplify light input essentially and this creats noise(grainy) pictures. Then camera makers turn on the noise reduction to smooth things out but that removes details hence lowering the effective resolution.
I'll keep 8mp. That resolution is fine for prints 11x14 all day long. Not that anyone who takes pictures with a phone are printing these days.
We shot all studio work for years with Canon 20D, 30D which were 8mp. They looked great when shot correctly.
I want Apple to keep making pixels better and better. This lowers the need for Noise Reduction and keeps my fine details.
Also....GLASS. GLASS GLASS GLASS!!!!
The difference between the 4s and 5/5s was night and day. And it was ALL LENS quality. Keeping the glare down. Lens coating reduced lens flare which raised contrast and made colors look great.
Quit worrying about MP's
start demanding pixel innovation.
Apple should keep up processor work.
My 5s is fast. Apps that are optimized for the processor SINGS!
I dont use touch ID. I love the Slo-Mo video. Its incredible to have in a phone.
Side by side with my 5 using stock apps it only seems marginally faster.
But processing a movie in iMovie you can tell a difference for sure.

What else can be innovated in a phone. For Christ sakes there's not much left.
A battery that lasts for 2-3 days would be great. But what else. Drive us places. I'm dying to know, what realistic feature is everyone SO hung up on that they're demanding. Most features are just gimmicks. I turn off parallax on my 5 and 5s. Its just a processor hog.

THANK YOU! This really should be a sticky, I couldn't agree more. I'm a novice photographer and use a 600D. It takes great pics! But sometimes I am asked "what camera did you use on that shot?" "Oh that was my iPhone." Yeah, my iPhone produces stellar Depth of field and dynamic range too- and it goes everywhere with me. It has my entire iTunes library on it, and many iPhoto albums. I do not use a case. The 5s is rugged as can be and faster than any phone I've ever used.
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.