Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:27 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Carl Icahn Buys $500 Million More in Apple Shares Following Earnings Dip

Activist investor Carl Icahn revealed this morning that he has purchased an additional $500 million in Apple shares following Wall Street's disappointment with the company's earnings announcement yesterday.

Apple's share price closed at $550 yesterday, before falling as low as $503 at open this morning.

Just last week, Icahn announced that his share in Apple had passed $3 billion, then a day later he purchased another $500 million, and now, with the addition of today's shares, Icahn now owns somewhere in excess of $4 billion in Apple, nearly 1% of the company.

Icahn has repeatedly pushed Apple to increase buyback of its own shares and yesterday's news that the company has increased its cash on hand to more than $158 billion will likely have Icahn reiterating that demand.

Only 22 percent of Apple's cash -- some $34.4 billion -- is located in the United States. The remaining $124.4 billion is located offshore, and Apple would need to pay significant amounts of corporate income tax if it were to bring that money back to the States for a share repurchase.

Apple and several other tech companies have been active in lobbying the Government to allow companies to bring cash back to the United States as part of a one-year "tax holiday".

Quote:
Just bought $500 mln more $AAPL shares. My buying seems to be going neck-and-neck with Apple's buyback program, but hope they win that race. - Carl Icahn (@Carl_C_Icahn) January 28, 2014

Article Link: Carl Icahn Buys $500 Million More in Apple Shares Following Earnings Dip
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:28 AM   #2
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Is there some way to ban that picture of Icahn from ever being used again?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:29 AM   #3
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

For someone that keeps trash talking how Apple is run, he sure keeps investing in them.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Bistroengine
macrumors regular

This guy is just showing off now. And yes, I agree, that photo of him is creeeeepy.
Bistroengine is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

Everybody is talking about how this guy is so smart and that he says it is undervalued. While I agree that it is undervalued, where the heck was he at $80 and why do we pretend that he knows so much when he missed it back then??
Z400Racer37 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Gudi
macrumors 6502a

Only $500 million more? What a cheapskate! That basically is a vote of mistrust in the stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistroengine View Post
This guy is just showing off now. And yes, I agree, that photo of him is creeeeepy.
Is it the photo or the guy?
Gudi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:35 AM   #7
orbital~debris
macrumors regular

That photo makes him look like a Muppet-version of a deranged Count Dooku & Count von Count hybrid.
orbital~debris is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:36 AM   #8
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Is there some way to ban that picture of Icahn from ever being used again?
Better ?
mdridwan47 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:38 AM   #9
KazKam
macrumors member

I honestly don't even pretend to understand what this guy's agenda or strategy is. But I do know he creeps me out, and it isn't just that photo.

I'm fairly sure that whatever he is up to is going to somehow tarnish or injure our beloved Apple.
KazKam is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:38 AM   #10
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

This guy isn't rich for nothing... He knows.
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:40 AM   #11
MordechaiCarver
macrumors member

Seriously, I don't know why anyone listens to this guy. Apple sure doesn't. He's the original Wall Street troller. He says "Oh, Apple should buy back more stock and I'm gonna write a letter.", which drives the price up, then buys more stock. All to benefit him. Can't everyone see that? Who cares what he "says" he's going to do (in regards to buying more stock)? Just do it and not publicize it.
MordechaiCarver is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:40 AM   #12
street.cory
macrumors 6502

Every freaking time. Every single freaking time this Carl Icahn picture finds its way on this website and it just sits there giving me this stupid look

street.cory is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Doomtomb
macrumors member

Bill Gates should invest all his money in Apple stock then force them to listen to him. I'd rather have him than this guy telling Apple what to do.
Doomtomb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:45 AM   #14
BJMRamage
macrumors 65816

that guy (and photo) creeps me out!!!

Sounds like he wants Apple to pay up...then continues to buy more and more and "force" them to pay him.
BJMRamage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:45 AM   #15
street.cory
macrumors 6502

Dem eyebrows

street.cory is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:46 AM   #16
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Activist investor Carl Icahn revealed this morning that he has purchased an additional $500 million in Apple shares following Wall Street's disappointment with the company's earnings announcement yesterday.

Apple's share price closed at $550 yesterday, before falling as low as $503 at open this morning.

Just last week, Icahn announced that his share in Apple had passed $3 billion, then a day later he purchased another $500 million, and now, with the addition of today's shares, Icahn now owns somewhere in excess of $4 billion in Apple, nearly 1% of the company.

Icahn has repeatedly pushed Apple to increase buyback of its own shares and yesterday's news that the company has increased its cash on hand to more than $158 billion will likely have Icahn reiterating that demand.

Only 22 percent of Apple's cash -- some $34.4 billion -- is located in the United States. The remaining $124.4 billion is located offshore, and Apple would need to pay significant amounts of corporate income tax if it were to bring that money back to the States for a share repurchase.

Apple and several other tech companies have been active in lobbying the Government to allow companies to bring cash back to the United States as part of a one-year "tax holiday".

Article Link: Carl Icahn Buys $500 Million More in Apple Shares Following Earnings Dip
pls pls pls pls mods....can you pls use this image instead?

http://blog.tactus.com/wp-content/up...1031-Icahn.png
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	131031-Icahn.png
Views:	21
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	458633  
thasan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:46 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Does Carl Icahn own 1% of Apple or does Apple own 20% of Carl Icahn? His net worth is only $20B. If It turns out he's wrong and Apple sinks (he's probably not wrong - certainly not this wrong) down to nothing, then suddenly Carl Icahn only has 80% as much money as he had before.

Just a different spin on the concept of ownership.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:47 AM   #18
iZac
macrumors 65816

just one of many possible outcomes to this:

Man very publicly invests $4,000,000,000 in company, with suggested incentive of major stock buyback.

Hundreds of thousands of small investors follow suit and jump on the stock.

Stock rises.

Man sells everything at significant profit.

Stock plummets.

Everyone else loses.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:50 AM   #19
Tanegashima
macrumors regular

Doesn't apple have a patent for that?

I mean, can't anyone sue him?
Tanegashima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:50 AM   #20
SoAnyway
macrumors regular

This sounds like a pump and dump strategy to me.
SoAnyway is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:52 AM   #21
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

Is there anyway Apple can bar him from buying more shares and/or buy back all his current shares and tell him to go **** himself?

Last edited by ProVideo; Jan 28, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
ProVideo is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:53 AM   #22
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
For someone that keeps trash talking how Apple is run, he sure keeps investing in them.
If I had the money I would also.

This company is one of the only sure things when it comes to tech for the next 5-10 years. Every other tech company is dying. Sony, Microsoft, Dell, Samsung, etc are all seeing massive declines.

There is a disconnect with WS and Apple. If this was any other company with these earnings over and over, which no other company has ever done, their stock would be through the roof.

I mean, there isn't ANYTHING Apple can do about analysts over-predicting and getting it wrong. But instead Apple is punished for people who are too stupid at their job.
Ryth is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:55 AM   #23
pcconvert
macrumors member

that's what's wrong with monetary system and stock market. He is not buying using his own funds, he do that on margin and borrows the funds. He gambles. With borrowed funds. A single guy gambles 500k x $500 = $250 mil. Two days ago another $275 mil. $0.5B for single title over past week. A single guy. So, basically, if one old man will get a change of mind or will fall in love with prostitute he can wreak havoc over financial markets.
pcconvert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:56 AM   #24
OneBagTravel
macrumors regular

MacRumors is just trolling us know with that mug.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:19 AM   #25
giantfan1224
macrumors 6502a

MacRumors should just rubber stamp the first page of comments every time they run an article about Icahn.
giantfan1224 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion