Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Nintendo Denies Report of Plans to Release Demo Games on iOS

A Monday report from Japanese business newspaper Nikkei claimed Nintendo is planning unveil an iOS app to market content for its Wii U and 3DS, with the app allegedly featuring information about new games from Nintendo and the mobile initiative potentially also including playable demos of console and handheld games. In a statement provided to Engadget today, however, Nintendo has denied it is planning to offer such minigames on smartphone platforms.

Quote:
"Nikkei's article contains information previously stated by Mr Iwata during past press conferences, including statements which relate to Nintendo's willingness to make use of smart devices to promote our products.

However during such past announcements Mr Iwata has also stated that Nintendo's intention is not to make Nintendo software available on smart devices and as such, we can confirm that there are no plans to offer minigames on smartphone devices."
Nintendo is at a crossroads as mobile gaming makes gains on both the console and handheld market. The Japanese game maker reported its third consecutive annual loss and adjusted its forecast to reflect a 35 billion yen ($335.76 million) operating loss, instead of the previously projected profit of 100 billion yen. The company also slashed it sales forecasts for the Wii U from 9 million to 2.8 million units and cut its estimates for the 3DS from 18 million to 13.5 million units.

Many investors and Nintendo fans have called for the legendary game company to embrace mobile platforms, but the company's executives have so far remained steadfast in focusing their valuable game franchises only on Nintendo-branded hardware.

Article Link: Nintendo Denies Report of Plans to Release Demo Games on iOS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:50 AM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
they need to do something to stop losing a ton of money
ZacNicholson is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Reason077
macrumors 65816

So, in other words, Nintendo just don't get it. They're doomed.
Reason077 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:52 AM   #4
rudychidiac
macrumors member

Your pride will be your downfall
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Derekeys
macrumors member

In the mean time I jailbreak my phone to play some Ocarina of Time... best game ever. You lose Nintendo.

Derekeys is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Smith288
macrumors 6502a

They went on, "... we firmly believe we will continue to reap on our success from the original Wii gaming console and live in the past and poot away any chances to regain our footing in the gaming industry!"
Smith288 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:57 AM   #7
MarioG
macrumors newbie

Oh but yes...God forbid.
If they revamped the old Super Mario like games and started releasing new games on iOS they could possibly make some money, which seems to be a great danger lately
MarioG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:58 AM   #8
OneBagTravel
macrumors regular

They could so easily make a ton of money making an Rayman Jungle Run inspired Mario game.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Gudi
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Nintendo Denies Report of Plans to Release Demo Games on iOS
Fine. No one believed that report anyway. It is too much effort to make Mario run on iOS only for a demo, which couldn't even reproduce the gameplay without physical controls. Meanwhile Nintendos real problems remain unaddressed.
Gudi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:02 PM   #10
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
So, in other words, Nintendo just don't get it. They're doomed.
Exactly. There are many titles that people would shell out good money for if it was on an iPad/iPhone. Huge mistake on their part.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:03 PM   #11
polterbyte
macrumors regular

Iwata's actions, if true, look like the Germanic tribe response to the Roman army in the initial scene of "Gladiator".

The dialogue between Quintus and Maximus at that moment is also very appropriate:

Quintus: People should know when they are conquered.
Maximus: Would you, Quintus? Would I?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:03 PM   #12
hybroid
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
Fine. No one believed that report anyway. It is too much effort to make Mario run on iOS only for a demo, which couldn't even reproduce the gameplay without physical controls. Meanwhile Nintendos real problems remain unaddressed.
https://developer.apple.com/library/...roduction.html
hybroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:06 PM   #13
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

You need to get your butt in gear Nintendo. You'll fall by the wayside. Ask Sega.
ghostface147 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:08 PM   #14
Gudi
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybroid View Post
You are not buying a (poor build quality and high price) controller just to run a demo, are you?
A demo for a game on another platform your new iOS controller isn't working with.
Gudi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:09 PM   #15
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

This is what happens when the same company develops hardware and software.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:12 PM   #16
theydonotmove
macrumors member

this would be a good move for Nintendo, demos for the mobile sphere, and save your real games for your devices.

If Nintendo steps into the mobile gaming market they will waste a lot of energy trying to compete in a whole new area of gaming. they will be developing new software or porting old software to two new platforms (android and iOS), that are fragmented over different types of hardware, and competing with developers who have been there for many years already.

Go play Super Mario 3D world and then tell me you can replicate that on a phone. I'm sorry but you can't.

Nintendo's place is in the living room or a mobile device of their design, not your smartphone.

The next Smash Bros,. and Zelda, and Mario Kart, and other 1st party titles will be a shot in the arm for Wii U sales, the console will likely go the route of the Gamecube, which was not a success but was still profitable by the end of it's run.

Nintendo's next move should be as the recent rumors have pointed to; a console/handheld fusion device with backwards compatibility to Wii and Wii U, support from Nintendo's online market, and specs at least somewhere in the ballpark of the current offerings from Microsoft and Sony.

A seamless mobile and living room gaming experience.

Did mac clones help Apple? No.

Then why would Nintendo commit suicide just so you can play Mario on your iPhone?

Aside from top notch game making and an earned reputation for making some of the best games in the business, the most valuable thing Nintendo has is its catalog of retro games and its intellectual properties.

Putting those games and/or properties on other devices is like throwing money away for Nintendo.

When you buy a game on Nintendo's virtual console they earn 100 percent of the profit, if they were bleeding them off onto other devices they would be earning less than if they sold it themselves.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:13 PM   #17
iapplelove
macrumors 68000

What a let down. I knew playing old school Zelda on my iPad was to good to be true.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:15 PM   #18
koban4max
Banned

if nintendo CEO doesn't do anything about it quick, Mario is going to end up working as a plumber.
koban4max is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:15 PM   #19
Chytin
macrumors newbie

I think Nintendo are working on a smartphone that can play Nintendo games.
Chytin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:17 PM   #20
Consultant
macrumors G5

Nintendo confirms it will continue its current strategy of downward spiral.
Consultant is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:19 PM   #21
BigCanoe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by theydonotmove View Post
this would be a good move for Nintendo, demos for the mobile sphere, and save your real games for your devices.

If Nintendo steps into the mobile gaming market they will waste a lot of energy trying to compete in a whole new area of gaming. they will be developing new software or porting old software to two new platforms (android and iOS), that are fragmented over different types of hardware, and competing with developers who have been there for many years already.

Go play Super Mario 3D world and then tell me you can replicate that on a phone. I'm sorry but you can't.

Nintendo's place is in the living room or a mobile device of their design, not your smartphone.

The next Smash Bros,. and Zelda, and Mario Kart, and other 1st party titles will be a shot in the arm for Wii U sales, the console will likely go the route of the Gamecube, which was not a success but was still profitable by the end of it's run.

Nintendo's next move should be as the recent rumors have pointed to; a console/handheld fusion device with backwards compatibility to Wii and Wii U, support from Nintendo's online market, and specs at least somewhere in the ballpark of the current offerings from Microsoft and Sony.

Then why would Nintendo commit suicide just so you can play Mario on your iPhone?

Aside from top notch game making and an earned reputation for making some of the best games in the business, the most valuable thing Nintendo has is its catalog of retro games and its intellectual properties.

Putting those games and/or properties on other devices is like throwing money away for Nintendo.

When you buy a game on Nintendo's virtual console they earn 100 percent of the profit, if they were bleeding them off onto other devices they would be earning less than if they sold it themselves.
I agree, well said!
BigCanoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:20 PM   #22
koulmj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Nintendo confirms it will continue its current strategy of downward spiral.
I can see thsm making mini games that some how augment existing games on the wii-u. Like a character creator that u can send to the wii and race him in mario kart kart or something.
koulmj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:21 PM   #23
starbird
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by theydonotmove View Post

As much as I want Mario Bros or Mario Kart on my iPhone/iPad? You are 100% right. It only makes sense if they no longer get to the point where they see a profit from the hardware. If the R&D costs are never recouped. Their brand value isn't hardware, it is their intellectual property, i.e., Mario.

When looked at that way, they are the exact opposite of Apple. Apples value lies in it's hardware. Their software supports their hardware and makes it shine.

Nintendo's value lies in it's software. Their hardware is a way to control the game experience.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:23 PM   #24
AHDuke99
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AHDuke99
They'll probably wait until the last minute to switch to mobile and go the way of the Blackberry and RIM...
AHDuke99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:23 PM   #25
pichael
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
This is what happens when the same company develops hardware and software.
Are you kidding me? What does Apple do? I'm pretty sure they make hardware and the software that runs on it.
pichael is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion