Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Does anyone actually manage to not have smeared greasy smudge stains on the screens ever?

Quick question:
Is there anything to coat the screens with that can stop it looking like that, that I don't know about?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
No you just take a few drops of water put it on yr screen and rub with your shirt. I don't think there's anything to put on the screen to stop it.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
a screen protector might limit it but just try to not get greasy stuff on your phone screen. i hate when my screen is greasy!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Does anyone actually manage to not have smeared greasy smudge stains on the screens ever?

Mine doesn't usually look bad. I also wash my hands a lot, I'd go as far to say I'm a little OCD about it.

Quick question:
Is there anything to coat the screens with that can stop it looking like that, that I don't know about?

The screen has an oleophobic coating from Apple that resists some smudges and fingerprints. I'm not sure if there is much else you can do.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Weird. Seems to be worse than my old 4. I do really wash my hands a stupid amount of times but I don't think that's relevant as every time I look down its horrible. But.... Only when screen off and dark. Not noticeable when using phone. But you guys must get same thing and end up wiping on sleeve/jumper/cloth most of the time. Never used protectors actually. Was more thinking of those cloths or sprays that detract dust and if there was something similar for smudges. Microfibres don't work but just clean at the time.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
No you just take a few drops of water put it on yr screen and rub with your shirt. I don't think there's anything to put on the screen to stop it.

I can see the future now

"I was cleaning my screen and I dripped water into the ear speaker and now I can't hear anyone"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.