Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
Having recently installed iOS 6.1.3 on my 3gs, I've encountered a problem jailbreaking it.
I've installed the latest p0sixspwn which I've extracted. Also, according to the uploaders comment on this video, he says:
UPDATE Windows users can now download p0sixspwn to Jailbreak 6.1.3 - 6.1.5! Just right click, set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP 2 and run the program as an administrator! 
Unfortunately, by doing this, it still doesn't work. I click Jailbreak, downloads something, then the program hangs when it says Rebooting Device which it never does.
Any help here? :(

Last edited:

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
redsn0w problem

Bump.
Just researched a bit more and found out that I need to jailbreak it tethered with redsn0w. Then, to open Cydia and download a tweak for p0sixspwn to then make the untethered jailbreak work.
Sounds reasonable, but I'm receiving the infamous "waiting for reboot" problem on redsn0w :( I've selected the 6.1.3 Restore IPSW although it makes no difference.
I've also tried doing all of this via Virtualbox on a Windows XP machine, but alas, it repeats the problems. (Although it is recommended as it may work for you)

==EDIT==
I've looked up that others also have this problem. But I've found have a solution which may work. According to this video [here] and a couple of Q&A's, a 6.0 Restore IPSW is needed to be selected in redsn0w (link to where I downloaded the 6.0 IPSW is below), instead of the 6.1.3 IPSW. I assume it's either to do with redsn0w or the 3gs.
I'll reply once it's downloaded and tested.
IPSW Restores for the 3GS - http://www.ipswhub.com/iphone-3gs

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Bump.
Just researched a bit more and found out that I need to jailbreak it tethered with redsn0w. Then, to open Cydia and download a tweak for p0sixspwn to then make the untethered jailbreak work.
Sounds reasonable, but I'm receiving the infamous "waiting for reboot" problem on redsn0w :( I've selected the 6.1.3 Restore IPSW although it makes no difference.
I've also tried doing all of this via Virtualbox on a Windows XP machine, but alas, it repeats the problems. (Although it is recommended as it may work for you)

==EDIT==
I've looked up that others also have this problem. But I've found have a solution which may work. According to this video [here] and a couple of Q&A's, a 6.0 Restore IPSW is needed to be selected in redsn0w (link to where I downloaded the 6.0 IPSW is below), instead of the 6.1.3 IPSW. I assume it's either to do with redsn0w or the 3gs.
I'll reply once it's downloaded and tested.
IPSW Restores for the 3GS - http://www.ipswhub.com/iphone-3gs

The redsn0w route shouldn't be needed but if p0sixspwn doesn't work, then that's another method

That method is for both the 3GS and 4. You select the 6.0 ipsw before jailbrea long

After tether jailbreaking, install p0sixspwn from cydia to untether

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
More redsn0w problems D:

So now I getting more redsn0w problems. I've tried to do the same process of the Virtual Machine (running XP), although it doesn't seem to detect the iPhone in DFU mode (I did select it) - it returns an error.

So I tried doing it again back on my main machine which now says (when I click Jailbreak):
Exploit failed.
:/
Halp! :(

iTunen

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
So now I getting more redsn0w problems. I've tried to do the same process of the Virtual Machine (running XP), although it doesn't seem to detect the iPhone in DFU mode (I did select it) - it returns an error.

So I tried doing it again back on my main machine which now says (when I click Jailbreak):
:/
Halp! :(

I was having the same problems with the same procedures a few weeks ago using my desktop with windows XP. I finally switched to my netbook running Windows 7, was able to click run as administrator, turned off the firewall, and everything worked like it should. If the exploit does go through, it's going to reboot two or three times before it's finished, so don't rush it if it appears to be going through. I was not using the redsnow workaround, just the new version of p0sixspwn with 6.1.3 already on my 3GS.
Good luck.

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
sn0wbreeze/iTunes problems D:

After some Googling, I've come across sn0wbreeze (Download link below).
Sn0wbreeze v2.9.14 will allow Windows users to jailbreak (tethered) their iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch iOS 6.1.3.
If you have an OLD BOOTROM, it will be a Untethered Jailbreak. If you have a NEW BOOTROM (like I have), then it will be a tethered Jailbreak.
I'd followed the instructions from here, in which when you select the IPSW, it is the 6.1.1 Restore one instead of the 6.0 IPSW redsn0w needs.
Everything went fine. sn0breeze had created a custom IPSW to restore upon on iTunes. This is where the trouble appeared. I shift-click restore on iTunes and clicked the custom sn0wbreeze IPSW from my Desktop. It extracts an all but ends up with an error:
The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error had occurred (3194).
Clicking 'More Information' leads me to this -> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4451
What can I do?! :( :confused:

sn0breeze - [Download]
v2.9.14 (For iOS 3.1.3, 3.2.x, 4.0.x, 4.1, 4.2.1 to 4.2.8, 4.3 to 4.3.3, 4.4.3, 4.4.4, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.1.1, 5.2, 6.0.x, 6.1, 6.1.2, 6.1.3)

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
After some Googling, I've come across sn0wbreeze (Download link below).

If you have an OLD BOOTROM, it will be a Untethered Jailbreak. If you have a NEW BOOTROM (like I have), then it will be a tethered Jailbreak.
I'd followed the instructions from here, in which when you select the IPSW, it is the 6.1.1 Restore one instead of the 6.0 IPSW redsn0w needs.
Everything went fine. sn0breeze had created a custom IPSW to restore upon on iTunes. This is where the trouble appeared. I shift-click restore on iTunes and clicked the custom sn0wbreeze IPSW from my Desktop. It extracts an all but ends up with an error:

Clicking 'More Information' leads me to this -> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4451
What can I do?! :( :confused:

sn0breeze - [Download]
v2.9.14 (For iOS 3.1.3, 3.2.x, 4.0.x, 4.1, 4.2.1 to 4.2.8, 4.3 to 4.3.3, 4.4.3, 4.4.4, 5.0.1, 5.0.2, 5.1.1, 5.2, 6.0.x, 6.1, 6.1.2, 6.1.3)

you need SHSH blobs in order to restore any version other than 7.0.4 and for the 3GS only, 4.1

do you know if you have any SHSH blobs? if not, give me your ECID (using tinyumbrella) and i'll help you check

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
Update :d

So I was going to take the advice from iTunen and turn off Windows Firewall in Windows 7. However, I was trying to jailbreak again with redsn0w and suddenly, it began installing the jailbreak! I don't know what happened or what I even did, but miraculously it began to work :D

UPDATE:
It's booted up but there doesn't seem to be Cydia installed :confused:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So I was going to take the advice from iTunen and turn off Windows Firewall in Windows 7. However, I was trying to jailbreak again with redsn0w and suddenly, it began installing the jailbreak! I don't know what happened or what I even did, but miraculously it began to work :D

UPDATE:
It's booted up but there doesn't seem to be Cydia installed :confused:

hmmm, that's strange. are you sure the jailbreaking process went through correctly with redsn0w?

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
hmmm, that's strange. are you sure the jailbreaking process went through correctly with redsn0w?

I'm fairly sure yes. I saw codes running on the screen with the redsn0w logo (runnin' pineapple) afterwards I realised this step on the instruction website for sn0wbreeze:
Booting tethered:

As we mentioned before, this is a tethered jailbreak, and as a part of the whole process, Sn0wbreeze will create a new folder for a utility called iBooty on your desktop. To boot your device into the jailbroken state with working Cydia, follow these steps:

Step 1: Launch iBooty from your desktop.

Step 2: Select your device from the drop-down menu, click on the Start button from within the iBooty interface, and follow on-screen instructions on how to put device in DFU mode.

Step 3: Once iBooty is done, your device will boot up and now you’re all set to install tweaks and apps from Cydia.
- credit to redmondpie
I went ahead and did this, although the iPhone doesn't reboot. So I checked this on redsn0w, and it says it's in Soft DFU Mode - I can't 'Just Boot'

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'm fairly sure yes. I saw codes running on the screen with the redsn0w logo (runnin' pineapple) afterwards I realised this step on the instruction website for sn0wbreeze:
- credit to redmondpie
I went ahead and did this, although the iPhone doesn't reboot. So I checked this on redsn0w, and it says it's in Soft DFU Mode - I can't 'Just Boot'

did you downgrade to iOS 6.x with incomplete SHSH blobs?

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
did you downgrade to iOS 6.x with incomplete SHSH blobs?

As far as I know, I didn't (or plan) to downgrade to iOS 6.x but I'm quite wary whether I chose the correct SHSH iOS Blob back in iFaith.*
Also, I'm still uncertain why I can't boot tethered with a working Cydia installed. If I try and 'Just boot' from redsn0w, it ends up saying 'Exploit Failed', and the 3gs doesn't reboot when I use iBooty (although it says it's done).

* The SHSH Blob I stitched the IPSW with was named: 6.1.3-10B329_cydia.shsh - I clicked 'Show list of available SHSH blobs on TSS server(s)' in iFaith and downloaded the 6.1.3 Cydia one.
However, I also clicked 'Fetch the latest SHSH blobs Apple is currently signing' which downloaded an SHSH called: iphone2,1-6.1.3.shsh
So I wasn't really sure which one to stitch, so I ended up choosing the 6.1.3 Cydia SHSH blob. Hopefully this is the correct one.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
As far as I know, I didn't (or plan) to downgrade to iOS 6.x but I'm quite wary whether I chose the correct SHSH iOS Blob back in iFaith.*
Also, I'm still uncertain why I can't boot tethered with a working Cydia installed. If I try and 'Just boot' from redsn0w, it ends up saying 'Exploit Failed', and the 3gs doesn't reboot when I use iBooty (although it says it's done).

* The SHSH Blob I stitched the IPSW with was named: 6.1.3-10B329_cydia.shsh - I clicked 'Show list of available SHSH blobs on TSS server(s)' in iFaith and downloaded the 6.1.3 Cydia one.
However, I also clicked 'Fetch the latest SHSH blobs Apple is currently signing' which downloaded an SHSH called: iphone2,1-6.1.3.shsh
So I wasn't really sure which one to stitch, so I ended up choosing the 6.1.3 Cydia SHSH blob. Hopefully this is the correct one.

You shouldn't need to stitch any blobs for 6.1.3 since apple's still signing that

Not too sure about the exploit failed part. Maybe try some google searching and see how it goes?

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
You shouldn't need to stitch any blobs for 6.1.3 since apple's still signing that

Not too sure about the exploit failed part. Maybe try some google searching and see how it goes?

If I don't need to stitch any blobs to the Restore IPSW, am I able to just Shift+Click that straight from iTunes? (No messing with iFaith?) The problems could possibly be from stitching it.

I guess I'll have to re-restore by putting back into DFU mode, choosing the (non-stitched) 6.1.3 Restore IPSW, doing a tethered Jailbreak with either sn0wbreeze or redsn0w, installing the p0sixspwn tweak from Cydia, and then finally doing an untethered Jailbreak with p0sixspwn...right? :D

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
If I don't need to stitch any blobs to the Restore IPSW, am I able to just Shift+Click that straight from iTunes? (No messing with iFaith?) The problems could possibly be from stitching it.

I guess I'll have to re-restore by putting back into DFU mode, choosing the (non-stitched) 6.1.3 Restore IPSW, doing a tethered Jailbreak with either sn0wbreeze or redsn0w, installing the p0sixspwn tweak from Cydia, and then finally doing an untethered Jailbreak with p0sixspwn...right? :D

Yes, you can shift + restore a clean 6.1.3 ipsw for the 3GS

Yes, try p0sixspwn again after the clean restore

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
Hurrah, it's worked!

Yes, you can shift + restore a clean 6.1.3 ipsw for the 3GS

Yes, try p0sixspwn again after the clean restore

Well...what can I say...? IT WORKED! :D
I wasn't able to Jailbreak Untethered straight after the restore as:
  1. The program kept crashing.
  2. I need to tether it so I can get the tweak first from Cydia.
Other than that, redsn0w worked flawlessly. The only problem I cam across and fixed was the Missing Keys.plist data for this build error after clicking 'Just Boot'. The solution was I forgot to Select the iOS 6.0 Restore IPSW. After that it went perfect.
I just have one last question. I installed p0sixspwn from Cydia, opened the program and it seems that the device is already jailbroken. Seems obvious, but is it now untethered?

SpikyiOS3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2013
Bit personal, eh? ;)
Resolved

Never mind about that last question. I looked it up, and from what it says from ih8sn0w's blog, once installing the tweak from a tethered device, it becomes untethered :)
1) Have a tethered jailbreak (either via redsn0w [Point to 6.0 IPSW] or sn0wbreeze).
2) Open Cydia.
3) Click the "Changes" tab in the footer.
4) Press the "Refresh" button in the top left corner.
5) After "Reloading Data", perform a search for "p0sixspwn" (the O is a zero).
6) Tap Install.

That's it! You're untethered.
Thanks darrick, iTunen and Macrumors for your advice! :D

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Yes, it does make it untethered by installing p0sixspwn from cydia. Glad you got everything working in the end!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.