Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I bought my iPhone 5 in October of 2012. My power button has went on the fritz so for giggles I checked the warranty and it's valid though 2/14. Certainly a pleasant surprise but I thought it was only a year? Anyways I'm a happy camper I got a refurb on the way to get me through until the 6 is released.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I bought my iPhone 5 in October of 2012. My power button has went on the fritz so for giggles I checked the warranty and it's valid though 2/14. Certainly a pleasant surprise but I thought it was only a year? Anyways I'm a happy camper I got a refurb on the way to get me through until the 6 is released.

You bought apple care. Thats two years from date of purchase

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
You bought apple care. Thats two years from date of purchase

I couldn't remember if I did or not, but if I did it should be valid through 10/14 not 2/14. I'm pretty sure I didn't but let me see if I can find my purchase history.

edit
Nope, didn't buy Applecare+. Only used it once before I used a credit card to extend the OEM warranty for a second year.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The standard warranty is only a year. Apple probably made a mistake and started the warrant late?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Apple made no mistake you got extra due to the holiday period exception

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

Nope - you don't get extra warranty because of holidays!

Sometimes they make mistakes. If there was a system error/the warranty didn't register when you first bought/activate it, the warranty will start on the next software update/activation. So my guess is the activation didn't go through properly, and you reinstalled iOS/did an update a few months later which triggered a reactivation, and thus the warranty to start.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nope - you don't get extra warranty because of holidays!

Correct. Extended returns, perhaps extended time to get extended warranty. But that's it

You can run into such things if you get a swap as well. All service parts get a 60-90 day warranty of their own regardless of the original period.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I was just curious, thanks guys. At any rate feels like a belated Christmas gift.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Correct. Extended returns, perhaps extended time to get extended warranty. But that's it

You can run into such things if you get a swap as well. All service parts get a 60-90 day warranty of their own regardless of the original period.
Bought and received my iPhone 5 right during the Christmas period in 2012 and yet my 1-year warranty shows up as already being expired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.