Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do you ask for any particular reason? I've got it on Steam but have not played it in a long while. Speaking of real old games, I'm mulling over starting System Shock 2 which I bought on sale over the HOlidays.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Do you ask for any particular reason? I've got it on Steam but have not played it in a long while. Speaking of real old games, I'm mulling over starting System Shock 2 which I bought on sale over the HOlidays.

Have you played it before? One of my all-time faves ... still enjoy playing it, and did a run in November again.

Also replayed HL2 on Mac in the summer ... and while I still think it is padded with too much filler, and the 'gimmick gun' is, well, gimmicky - it is just a fun and well produced game that I can't believe is almost 10 years old!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Have you played it before? One of my all-time faves ... still enjoy playing it, and did a run in November again.

Also replayed HL2 on Mac in the summer ... and while I still think it is padded with too much filler, and the 'gimmick gun' is, well, gimmicky - it is just a fun and well produced game that I can't believe is almost 10 years old!

I've played through the entire series. The original HL is what prompted me to originally buy a PC for gaming. I rate it among the top 10 games of all time, such an outstanding adventure! The Gravity Gun struck me as a great tool, not a gimmick. :)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Anyone still playing this old game on new Macbook Pro/Air? :apple:

I'm playing it on a late 2012 21.5" iMac! For the most part, it plays smoothly. There are parts where performance bugs pop up (like the airboat chase at the dam section), when the helicopter is firing at me, it's almost unplayable. I don't know if this is my config's problem, the Mac port's problem, or the game's problem.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm playing it on a late 2012 21.5" iMac! For the most part, it plays smoothly. There are parts where performance bugs pop up (like the airboat chase at the dam section), when the helicopter is firing at me, it's almost unplayable. I don't know if this is my config's problem, the Mac port's problem, or the game's problem.

Thank you Irishman. I haven't finished this game because I quitted long time ago when it caused me some headache effect. :apple:

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
Do you remember at what settings and resolution you played it?

Resolution: 2650x1400
Model Detail: High
Texture Detail: High
Shader Detail: High
Water Detail: Reflect All
Shadow Detail: Medium
Color Correction: Disabled
AA: 2x
Filter: 2x
Vertical Sync: Disabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
Field of View: 75
Multicore Rendering: Disabled (this should have been enabled, but oh well)

Game ran fine. Maybe it stuttered a little every now and then, but was otherwise fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 7.54.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 7.54.21 PM.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 115

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I've found that disabling vsync and setting a frame rate cap by using the +fps_max xx launch command helps a lot. HL2 isn't the most demanding game from an action perspective, so setting the cap at 53-55 fps allows me to run at native resolution (1680x1050) with some anti-aliasing and have smooth performance 98% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.