Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I'm intrigued at why this is only available in the US and only for petrol (gasoline) cars. Surely the output from the car that this device processes is pure digital data - what difference would the nationality or fuel type of the car make?

BellsWhistles

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
California
Misjudged the product when I bought it...

This device would be much more appealing if it didn't upload all your vehicle details and location to the cloud (see their privacy policy, https://www.automatic.com/legal/#privacy) where NSA captures it and ingests into its massive databases (see recent Snowden revelations, https://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/27/nsa-servers-collect-personal-data-sent-by-iphone-apps/).

Now with iBeacon they get even more opportunities to track your car.

Thanks, but no thanks.

I purchased this when it was a concept piece. I waited for it to arrive for almost a year. Once I had it, and had access to the iPhone app, the software had evolved in a direction I did not want it to go. It has the potential for spying on you AND your driving habits. This is not something I was looking for when I purchased the "simple" product. I do not need a driving Nanny!! Nor do I need my driving habits to be pooled by any company for future scrutiny, all outside of my control. F* that concept.
Needless to say, I spent about $75 for this gizmo and will NEVER put it in my vehicle ever again.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Applying iBeacon technology to a vehicle could make it easier for people to pay for things like parking, or gas fill ups, for instance -- making the experience much better than it is today.

Because sliding my card into the pump station is so incredibly difficult? I've got to get out of my car regardless (unless i'm in Oregon :p)

1. I'm not paying $100 for a car trinket that provides "me" little utility

2. I'm not confident that this startup has any real vision. They do have good design style.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I think you are incredibly confused and uninformed... Try reading their website.

I was also being somewhat 'tongue in cheek'... The idea of a car that can do that is already here, to some extent, for users of the Garmin GPS units. Their 'helpful popups' usually are anything but 'helpful', and are distracting and annoying. Thank Ford they only do that for certain restaurants and such.

And how far are we to a device that can be surreptitiously installed in someone's car that WILL tattle on them to all kinds of 'entities'...

But anyway, swing away...

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I purchased this when it was a concept piece. I waited for it to arrive for almost a year. Once I had it, and had access to the iPhone app, the software had evolved in a direction I did not want it to go. It has the potential for spying on you AND your driving habits. This is not something I was looking for when I purchased the "simple" product. I do not need a driving Nanny!! Nor do I need my driving habits to be pooled by any company for future scrutiny, all outside of my control. F* that concept.
Needless to say, I spent about $75 for this gizmo and will NEVER put it in my vehicle ever again.

then why did you buy it? I'm a pre-order owner as well, and it does *exactly* what it said it would do -- alert me to poor fuel-effeciency driving habits. and offer check-engine light decoding, and parking features. but if i didn't want the efficiency alerts, i could just, you know...turn them off. doh!

sounds like the problem is between steering wheel and chair...

----------

Automatic has been a waste of money, and I managed to buy it when it was $50. It beeps at me every time i get on the highway, since 70mph is evidently "speeding".

the alert isn't about legal speeding -- its about lowered fuel-effecincy speeds. just like they advertise.

if you dont want that feature, just turn it off. crazy, huh?

----------

They can also cost under $20 for the same functionality. If that's all you want, this would be overpriced.

why would i want more devices when my iPhone can do it? do you carry a GPS, too? a calculator? but why not, they're cheaper?

BellsWhistles

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
California
then why did you buy it? I'm a pre-order owner as well, and it does *exactly* what it said it would do -- alert me to poor fuel-effeciency driving habits. and offer check-engine light decoding, and parking features. but if i didn't want the efficiency alerts, i could just, you know...turn them off. doh!

sounds like the problem is between steering wheel and chair...

Actually, when the unit was first projected the tracking habits was NOT part of the description (original presentation I refer to was 03/12/13 when I ordered) That was added later, just prior to it being released. After they had delayed it for the 2nd time and further tweaked the outcome. When it was finally connected and I determined that it was indeed dialing home to send that data, is when I changed my opinion of the product. I did not misinterpret what it was originally presented as. Even if the efficiency was presented as a feature at some point, the data collection was not disclosed until the product was in had.

I am not sure why "sounds like the problem is between steering wheel and chair..." comment. Other than taking a juvenile stab at my comprehension level. I understand what the device is capable of. Do I trust my wishes will be honored, No. Naivety is a poor excuse in hindsight. It's an invasive product. Just one man's opinion.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I don't really think iBeacons is very useful here. Wouldn't the same thing work with your phone that you already have on you?

Now if it could be used to locate your car in a parking garage where GPS isn't available, then that would be cool. But with all the NSA data collection I think I'd only use this thing to run diagnostics on my car for short periods of time and check warning lights, etc.

I bought and installed it not 5 minutes ago.

Works we'll on my way home. Hope to check out the report end of the week.

It also detects car accident. Now if they update the app to use iBeacon for parked car location, it would be perfect.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
why would i want more devices when my iPhone can do it? do you carry a GPS, too? a calculator? but why not, they're cheaper?
:confused: This isn't the same as other convergence uses for an iPhone, which are based on software and hardware that is part of the phone. This is another device, that communicates with your iPhone. I'm just saying that if code reading is the only use, don't spend this much.

----------

Likewise, put a frog in a kettle of warm water and place it on a burner. The frog doesn't notice it getting hotter until it's cooked.

Only if you heat it a lot slower than anyone ever heats anything on a burner. Maybe you need a new old wives tale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.