Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:32 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iCloud Website Error Hints at Upcoming iCloud Bookmarks Feature

An error on Apple's iCloud.com portal is displaying a "Coming Soon" page for iCloud Bookmarks, suggesting that the website may soon gain functionality for displaying iCloud Bookmarks saved in Safari on a Mac or an iOS device.

An online iCloud Bookmarks section, if added to iCloud, could be useful for users that wish to access their bookmarks on a computer that is not used regularly. While iCloud already syncs Safari bookmarks between Macs and iOS devices, iCloud bookmarks are not currently accessible via iCloud.com.

First discovered by a Twitter user (via 9to5Mac), the iCloud Bookmarks page can be seen briefly when visiting a specific URL, originally accessed by installing the Chrome extension from the iCloud Control Panel for Windows app on a PC: http://icloud.com/bookmarks_extension

Though the page text suggests that an iCloud Bookmarks feature could be in the works for iCloud.com, it is possible, based on the "extension" URL, that it is referring to an iCloud Bookmarks extension, but iCloud browser extensions for both Chrome and Firefox on Windows have been available for several months following the launch of iOS 7.

As noted by 9to5Mac, the introductory screen also features the iOS 7-style design for Bookmarks, which seems to indicate that it was rather recently created, pointing more towards a new feature than an old page for an existing feature.

Apple has been hard at work beefing up iCloud during the last year. At WWDC, the company introduced iWork for iCloud, giving users a way to work on collaborative documents from any device, and more recently many of the apps received a full iOS 7-style redesign.

Article Link: iCloud Website Error Hints at Upcoming iCloud Bookmarks Feature
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:34 PM   #2
TC400
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to TC400
Whoops!
TC400 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:35 PM   #3
t0mbola
macrumors member

I mentioned iCloud.com bookmarks here back in Aug 2013 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1623517
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:37 PM   #4
squirrelist
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to squirrelist
I think there is an error in the article. The Firefox and Chrome extensions are for Windows only, not Mac. Unless I'm missing something.
squirrelist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:38 PM   #5
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

I'm a little confused here. What's the difference between "iCloud Bookmarks" and iCloud syncing bookmarks between Macs and iOS devices? Right now I can reformat my iMac's hard drive and download my bookmarks from iCloud onto my iMac. So what else would someone need?
HenryDJP is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:39 PM   #6
hunt2013
macrumors newbie

This page has been here for awhile.
hunt2013 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:40 PM   #7
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Return "iDisk"/"Dropbox" document sharing, and I'm good to go.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:41 PM   #8
GeneralChang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
I'm a little confused here. What's the difference between "iCloud Bookmarks" and iCloud syncing bookmarks between Macs and iOS devices? Right now I can reformat my iMac's hard drive and download my bookmarks from iCloud onto my iMac. So what else would someone need?
Iím guessing the intent is to allow you to use them on a computer that isnít yours or in a browser you donít want to/can't link to your iCloud. I canít imagine any other situation where youíd need them.
GeneralChang is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:41 PM   #9
djtech42
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
If they are on a Windows/Linux machine or a public device where they can't set up iCloud syncing, they can still access their bookmarks.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:48 PM   #10
rudychidiac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0mbola View Post
I mentioned iCloud.com bookmarks here back in Aug 2013 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1623517
You thought of it before it was cool!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

wow, if this happen for real I might use safari more and ditch chrome.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:50 PM   #12
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

What I *really* want is the ability to do iMessage from a browser.
curmudgeon32 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:50 PM   #13
jumanji
macrumors member

is that a hint or an announcement?
jumanji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:54 PM   #14
ryansimmons323
macrumors regular

I once found this funny icon from iCloud when I was posting a link to www.icloud.com on Facebook. This appeared as the thumbnail that would be posted with the link.

Last edited by ryansimmons323; Jan 29, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
ryansimmons323 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 01:57 PM   #15
macrumors regular

Good to see Apple investing in online services and finally competing with Google. I think even the most hardcore Apple fans have to admit that Google has had an edge in this market for some time.
8281 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:04 PM   #16
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

It needs Dropbox functionality....bring by iDisk but make it actually work correctly and I won't need Dropbox anymore.
zedsdead is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:05 PM   #17
Dark Dragoon
macrumors 6502a

Ah so its the return of the MobileMe web access for bookmarks, which was discontinued when it became iCloud.

EDIT: Ah remembered it wrong, the web access for bookmarks was removed in the transition from .Mac to MobileMe.
Dark Dragoon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Lazy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudychidiac View Post
You thought of it before it was cool!
Not really. This was a feature years ago back when iCloud was called .Mac.

It was handy at times, and it was perplexing when it was dropped in one of the transitions. Seems like the easiest feature of all the .Mac/MobileMe/iCloud ones to implement.
Lazy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:14 PM   #19
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

The "cloud"....certified, approved, and heartily recommended by the NSA.
SeattleMoose is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:21 PM   #20
steve23094
macrumors member

Apple really need to overhaul iCloud mail to keep up with every other web based mail product out there (gMail, Yahoo, Outlook etc). It's a simpleton's product that looks years out of date.

I would be very interested in a much more powerful, flexible and better interface for mail rules. If Apple wants me to use their mail product across all my devices then it needs a lot of improvement.
steve23094 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:26 PM   #21
NOV
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
It needs Dropbox functionality....bring by iDisk but make it actually work correctly and I won't need Dropbox anymore.
Dropbox and a bloody simple "Photostream" button where I can watch/share my images in the cloud.

Music website
NOV is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:31 PM   #22
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Oh man, I hope they add Reading List to it too. I use that more than bookmarks. Since it doesn't work offline on iOS devices like it does on a Mac, I just throw them on my Kindle for now. Would love to get to them on different machines.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:47 PM   #23
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralChang View Post
Iím guessing the intent is to allow you to use them on a computer that isnít yours or in a browser you donít want to/can't link to your iCloud. I canít imagine any other situation where youíd need them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtech42 View Post
If they are on a Windows/Linux machine or a public device where they can't set up iCloud syncing, they can still access their bookmarks.
Oh yeah, I see now. Thanks you guys. I didn't understand the point. I can see where that would be convenient at times.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 02:52 PM   #24
jlnr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Oh man, I hope they add Reading List to it too. I use that more than bookmarks. Since it doesn't work offline on iOS devices like it does on a Mac, I just throw them on my Kindle for now. Would love to get to them on different machines.
Reading List has worked offline since iOS 6, it's how I use my WiFi-only iPad most of the time. It does seem to require the occasional reboot to start downloading items for offline viewing, though (6.1.2).

But it's silly that one cannot have Reading List or bookmark syncing without enabling iCloud Tabs as well, which basically stores every URL you are looking at on Apple's servers. I want less cloud, not more

Last edited by jlnr; Jan 29, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
jlnr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 03:18 PM   #25
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

This seems like a great option for some people. If/when this is enabled, this means that I could access my bookmarks from home on my work computer simply by visiting my icloud account. Unfortunately where I work icloud is blocked.

I could also see this as something useful when over at a frieds house or the library, etc. Basically, I like where this is going

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion