Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An error on Apple's iCloud.com portal is displaying a "Coming Soon" page for iCloud Bookmarks, suggesting that the website may soon gain functionality for displaying iCloud Bookmarks saved in Safari on a Mac or an iOS device.

An online iCloud Bookmarks section, if added to iCloud, could be useful for users that wish to access their bookmarks on a computer that is not used regularly. While iCloud already syncs Safari bookmarks between Macs and iOS devices, iCloud bookmarks are not currently accessible via iCloud.com.

icloudbookmarks.jpg
First discovered by a Twitter user (via 9to5Mac), the iCloud Bookmarks page can be seen briefly when visiting a specific URL, originally accessed by installing the Chrome extension from the iCloud Control Panel for Windows app on a PC: http://icloud.com/bookmarks_extension

Though the page text suggests that an iCloud Bookmarks feature could be in the works for iCloud.com, it is possible, based on the "extension" URL, that it is referring to an iCloud Bookmarks extension, but iCloud browser extensions for both Chrome and Firefox on Windows have been available for several months following the launch of iOS 7.

As noted by 9to5Mac, the introductory screen also features the iOS 7-style design for Bookmarks, which seems to indicate that it was rather recently created, pointing more towards a new feature than an old page for an existing feature.

Apple has been hard at work beefing up iCloud during the last year. At WWDC, the company introduced iWork for iCloud, giving users a way to work on collaborative documents from any device, and more recently many of the apps received a full iOS 7-style redesign.

Article Link: iCloud Website Error Hints at Upcoming iCloud Bookmarks Feature

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I'm a little confused here. What's the difference between "iCloud Bookmarks" and iCloud syncing bookmarks between Macs and iOS devices? Right now I can reformat my iMac's hard drive and download my bookmarks from iCloud onto my iMac. So what else would someone need? :confused:

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I'm a little confused here. What's the difference between "iCloud Bookmarks" and iCloud syncing bookmarks between Macs and iOS devices? Right now I can reformat my iMac's hard drive and download my bookmarks from iCloud onto my iMac. So what else would someone need? :confused:

I’m guessing the intent is to allow you to use them on a computer that isn’t yours or in a browser you don’t want to/can't link to your iCloud. I can’t imagine any other situation where you’d need them.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH

If they are on a Windows/Linux machine or a public device where they can't set up iCloud syncing, they can still access their bookmarks.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Good to see Apple investing in online services and finally competing with Google. I think even the most hardcore Apple fans have to admit that Google has had an edge in this market for some time.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It needs Dropbox functionality....bring by iDisk but make it actually work correctly and I won't need Dropbox anymore.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Ah so its the return of the MobileMe web access for bookmarks, which was discontinued when it became iCloud.

EDIT: Ah remembered it wrong, the web access for bookmarks was removed in the transition from .Mac to MobileMe.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
You thought of it before it was cool!

Not really. This was a feature years ago back when iCloud was called .Mac.

It was handy at times, and it was perplexing when it was dropped in one of the transitions. Seems like the easiest feature of all the .Mac/MobileMe/iCloud ones to implement.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Apple really need to overhaul iCloud mail to keep up with every other web based mail product out there (gMail, Yahoo, Outlook etc). It's a simpleton's product that looks years out of date.

I would be very interested in a much more powerful, flexible and better interface for mail rules. If Apple wants me to use their mail product across all my devices then it needs a lot of improvement.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh man, I hope they add Reading List to it too. I use that more than bookmarks. Since it doesn't work offline on iOS devices like it does on a Mac, I just throw them on my Kindle for now. Would love to get to them on different machines.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I’m guessing the intent is to allow you to use them on a computer that isn’t yours or in a browser you don’t want to/can't link to your iCloud. I can’t imagine any other situation where you’d need them.

If they are on a Windows/Linux machine or a public device where they can't set up iCloud syncing, they can still access their bookmarks.

Oh yeah, I see now. Thanks you guys. I didn't understand the point. I can see where that would be convenient at times.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
Oh man, I hope they add Reading List to it too. I use that more than bookmarks. Since it doesn't work offline on iOS devices like it does on a Mac, I just throw them on my Kindle for now. Would love to get to them on different machines.

Reading List has worked offline since iOS 6, it's how I use my WiFi-only iPad most of the time. It does seem to require the occasional reboot to start downloading items for offline viewing, though (6.1.2).

But it's silly that one cannot have Reading List or bookmark syncing without enabling iCloud Tabs as well, which basically stores every URL you are looking at on Apple's servers. I want less cloud, not more :(

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This seems like a great option for some people. If/when this is enabled, this means that I could access my bookmarks from home on my work computer simply by visiting my icloud account. Unfortunately where I work icloud is blocked.

I could also see this as something useful when over at a frieds house or the library, etc. Basically, I like where this is going :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.