Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriotic1776

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
Is this convoluted daisy chain even possible:
Firewire 400 cable coming from my 2006 Mac Pro > into Firewire 400 to 800 adapter > into the new Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter Apple announced this past WWDC.

To my knowledge, they are not supporting legacy Firewire 400 to Thunderbolt, only 800. But I still need a way to transfer videos from my miniDV to my old Mac Pro (we are are non-profit, so still working with yesteryear tech). Thanks!

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Firewire 400 cable coming from my 2006 Mac Pro > into Firewire 400 to 800 adapter > into the new Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter Apple announced this past WWDC.

To my knowledge, they are not supporting legacy Firewire 400 to Thunderbolt, only 800. But I still need a way to transfer videos from my miniDV to my old Mac Pro (we are are non-profit, so still working with yesteryear tech). Thanks!

I think it should work since while only the Firewire 800 connection is supported, Firewire 800 is backwards compatible with Firewire 400.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Just buy a FW400 to FW800 bilingual cable (no adapter necessary). Then use the FW800 to Thunderbolt adapter.

I still need a way to transfer videos from my miniDV to my old Mac Pro
And why do you need Thunderbolt in this equation?

Mr. Retrofires Wikipedia said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394#FireWire_800_.28IEEE_1394b-2002.29

A bilingual cable allows the connection of older devices to the newer port.

Here is an example (no recommendation, i do not know the seller):
http://www.amazon.com/PIN-6PIN-BILINGUAL-FireWire-800/dp/B003L1AINY

The shielding of the cable and the robustness of the connectors is important. Do not buy cheap looking cables!

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003

Nope, won't work.

The yet-to-ship adapter will convert the Thunderbolt port on a computer into a FireWire port.

It does not convert in the opposite direction. You cannot create a Thunderbolt port from the FireWire port on your older computer.

Same goes for the Ethernet adapter - cannot create a Thunderbolt port from Apple's Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter.

Same goes for an HDMI or DVI or VGA adapter which are intended to convert from mDP/Thunderbolt TO these display connector options. They don't work in the opposite direction, converting to a Thunderbolt port.

If they did, you would be hearing lots more on these forums, with people bragging about how their $10-30 adapter is creating Thunderbolt ports on all sorts of devices and computers.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
will you still be able to daisy chain firewire devices from the single thunderbolt port on the new laptops?

Yes, if the FireWire device you connect has two ports for daisy-chaining. Many external FireWire drives have 2 ports for daisy chaining.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Yes, if the FireWire device you connect has two ports for daisy-chaining. Many external FireWire drives have 2 ports for daisy chaining.
Man I need this TB/FW converter soon, what's the hold up Apple?

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Nope, won't work.

The yet-to-ship adapter will convert the Thunderbolt port on a computer into a FireWire port.

It does not convert in the opposite direction. You cannot create a Thunderbolt port from the FireWire port on your older computer.

Why wouldn't the scenario the OP described work? If the new adapter turns the Thunderbolt port into a FireWire port, and then the OP plugs a FireWire cable into the adapter, isn't that exactly what the adapter is meant to do?

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
You cannot create a Thunderbolt port from a FireWire connection. That's not the way it works.

There are peripheral devices and there are computers with controllers.

Controllers are typically within a computer; for now, Macintosh laptops are shipping and a few Windows laptops and motherboards that have been announced. They can control Thunderbolt peripherals.

The way te FireWire adapter is supposed to work is that you can connect FireWire devices via that Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter.

You'll just need to wait until this adapter is shipping for the typicl reviewers to confirm this for you.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
You cannot create a Thunderbolt port from a FireWire connection. That's not the way it works.

There are peripheral devices and there are computers with controllers.

Controllers are typically within a computer; for now, Macintosh laptops are shipping and a few Windows laptops and motherboards that have been announced. They can control Thunderbolt peripherals.

The way te FireWire adapter is supposed to work is that you can connect FireWire devices via that Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter.

You'll just need to wait until this adapter is shipping for the typicl reviewers to confirm this for you.

he's not asking if he could make a thunderbolt port from a firewire connection. He's just asking if a Mac w/ firewire 400 can communicate with another mac that has a thunderbolt adapter.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
A good question for Apple - whether FireWire Target Disk mode will be supported. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Target Disk Mode is not the fastest protocol.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
A good question for Apple - whether FireWire Target Disk mode will be supported. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Target Disk Mode is not the fastest protocol.

I don't know for sure, but Thunderbolt itself definitely supports Target Disk Mode. I used it to migrate from my 2011 to 2012 MacBook Air. Since the forthcoming adapter essentially turns the Thunderbolt port into a Firewire 800 port, I would guess that it would support Firewire Target Disk Mode if you plug a Firewire cable into it.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
did anyone try Apple's thunderbolt to FireWire adapter and bus powered the FireWire 400 device? I have seen some mixed results ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.