Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chomomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hola folks.

A friend of mine is selling me an EVGA GeForce GTX570 HD 2.5GB card for a reasonable price. I was wanted to verify that this card will work with the Mac 1.1? I read the forums and found a posting that apple applies limits when using video cards greater that 2GB's. :confused:

Is true about the 2GB limit?

I am currently running that latest version of Lion with an 8800GT.

Cheers,

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
According to the first page of the Nvidia FAQ here, it should work just fine.

The 2GB limit is for OpenCL only. If you need OpenCL, follow the steps to fix it, also linked in the Nvidia FAQ.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hola folks.

A friend of mine is selling me an EVGA GeForce GTX570 HD 2.5GB card for a reasonable price. I was wanted to verify that this card will work with the Mac 1.1? I read the forums and found a posting that apple applies limits when using video cards greater that 2GB's. :confused:

Is true about the 2GB limit?

I am currently running that latest version of Lion with an 8800GT.

Cheers,

There's a guy in this video installing a GTX570 in his 1.1 Mac Pro to enhance his gaming. HERE Though I read thru his posting and comments, it was not indicated if the 570GTX performed at maximum speed since the 1.1 Mac Pro is still 32bit. And if the vram is 2.5g was not also specified. Probably you may want to ask this guy how's the performance.

chomomo

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Success

I was able to install and get the card up and running with a slight hiccup. I f*cked up the CL editing and had to reload the OS from back up.

My mac is a lot snappier and gaming on boot camp is great. I know the card is still running on PCI 1.0 but i don't care most of the games I'm running do look a lot prettier with the setting and AA turned up.

Next stop is the CPU's+ SSD.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.