Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andycho7

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Hello all. So I'm sure many of you are familiar with the fact that if your unit gets repaired 3+ times, then Apple would replace it with new unit through AppleCare in most cases.

I'm curious if the Apple Retailer's(such as Simply Mac, Expercom, etc...) repair would count towards that as well (due to faulty display, not user damaged repair or any kind)? Because, just recently I had my Mid-2011 27 inch iMac's display repaired(exchanged) through AppleCare, which would be second time repair for this unit (one through retailer, one through Apple).

Not that I'm going to be dishonest and cause some trouble to my unit so that I can get a brand new replacement unit out of it, but I'm more afraid of the fact how I had such bad luck with the LCD displays in the past. I just don't want another random defect to happen again after my AppleCare expires in 6 months and pay the $650+ repair cost(which by the way, is probably the most expensive repair job for iMac).

What makes me worry more on top of my unlucky display problems is that Mid-2011 Macs with ATI graphics were famously known for issues. Mine is a base model with 6770M but I've heard few bad news with this card as well. (by this I'm not saying that Macs with ATI graphics would always fail, but respectively higher rate of failure compared to other recent models)

Anyhow, I'm glad I had AppleCare because it saved my fortune twice. Two LCD panel replacement costed well over $1300. That's nearly a price of refurb 27 inch iMac!

So what do you guys think? Does anyone have experience similar to this or know of something?

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello all. So I'm sure many of you are familiar with the fact that if your unit gets repaired 3+ times, then Apple would replace it with new unit through AppleCare.
That's not a rule. While that may happen in many cases, it's not a policy or a guarantee. It really depends on the circumstances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.