Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:49 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Details Pressure-Sensitive Touchscreen in New Patent Application




An Apple patent detailing pressure-sensitive touchscreens was published today by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, reports AppleInsider. Entitled "Gesture and touch input detection through force sensing," the application describes a system in which a traditional touchscreen is complemented by multiple force-sensors in order to better log unique gestures and more complex input.

The patent application introduces itself by describing the problems with current touchscreens found in devices, noting that some gestures such as those involving a swipe or pinch from a screen's edge are not recognized properly, or result in unintended action. Apple suggests that by deploying three or more force sensors in a touchscreen, a device can determine specific central pressure points and take appropriate action.
Quote:
The touch screen is configured to detect a touch signal corresponding to a user finger approaching or contacting the touch screen. The at least three pressure sensors are configured to detect a pressure signal corresponding to an object proving pressure on a surface. In response to the pressure signal the processor determines a centroid location relative to the surface and the touch signal is processed by the processor by analyzing the centroid location.
Apple also states that central points determined by force sensors can determine if one or more touches are accidental, which is slightly similar to the current palm rejection technology found on the iPad Air and iPad mini. The illustration above shows a user resting the right thumb on one side of an iPad's screen while continuing to use the tablet with the left thumb. Currently, this input combination cannot be performed on iOS devices, and would potentially allow for new interactions if enabled.

Furthermore, the patent notes that the force sensors can be positioned outside of an active touch region, which could allow for users to interact with user interface elements such as menu options that extend well beyond the immediate area of a touchscreen. This would allow a device the option to render more elements onscreen while retaining key touch elements needed offscreen, offering a secondary mode of input.

Currently, it is unknown whether Apple plans to create such a touchscreen for its products or not, but the company has shown an interest in pressure sensitive technology before. An Apple patent detailing the integration of a pressure sensitive button in a touchscreen was published last November, and a patent that described pressure-sensitive device casings was awarded to Apple in March 2013.

The patent application, which was originally filed on January 30, 2012 and published today, also lists Nima Parivar and Wayne C. Westerman as its inventors.

Article Link: Apple Details Pressure-Sensitive Touchscreen in New Patent Application
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:50 AM   #2
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
For the digital art community, this is exciting news.
__________________
iPod Classic, 120GB; 6th Gen iPod Nano, 8GB; iPhone 4S, 16GB; 1st Gen iPad, 16GB; iPad 2, 16GB; iPad mini, 16GB; Mid-2011 i5 Mac mini, 500GB, 8GB RAM; Mid-2012 i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB, 4GB RAM
KieranDotW is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:55 AM   #3
rudychidiac
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lebanon
Yes! YES!
__________________
15" mid-2010 Macbook Pro, 32GB black iPhone 5, 16GB Space Grey iPad Air, iPod Touch 5. and others
rudychidiac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:56 AM   #4
spacemanspifff
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SPACE
 
Bezel be gone!

To me, this could also mean that they can do away with the bezel around the screen - which would be good!
spacemanspifff is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601
 
Chaszmyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspifff View Post
To me, this could also mean that they can do away with the bezel around the screen - which would be good!
Even if they could, I don't think like it's as good of an idea as it sounds like. Holding the iPad by the bezel isn't just about avoiding extraneous touch inputs; if there wasn't a bezel your thumb would be covering part of the screen at all times, limiting your access to visual data.
Chaszmyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:00 AM   #6
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Serious question.

Have any of these leaked patent applications from Apple EVER predicted a real upcoming product? I'm genuinely curious because these weird patents from Apple keep being posted by Macrumors and others but I can't remember a single instance where one of these strange product type patents predicted an actual future product. Does anyone else know?
__________________
13" MBA 2013, 1.7 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD
Saturn1217 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:03 AM   #7
BvizioN
macrumors 68020
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr View Post
Even if they could, I don't think like it's as good of an idea as it sounds like. Holding the iPad by the bezel isn't just about avoiding extraneous touch inputs; if there wasn't a bezel your thumb would be covering part of the screen at all times, limiting your access to visual data.
These things are geting lighter and lighter. You would just hold it having your palm on the back of it and the thumb on the side edge.
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:17 AM   #8
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816
 
AngerDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: doing the Dada Polka
Yet they're completely ignoring the portal technology shown by the left finger in the second picture?


Last edited by AngerDanger; Jan 30, 2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: [img]
AngerDanger is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:26 AM   #9
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Might be good in games, too? Pressure sensitive buttons feel really nice to digital ones... I like being able to adjust things like speed based on how hard you press down.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:27 AM   #10
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn1217 View Post
Serious question.

Have any of these leaked patent applications from Apple EVER predicted a real upcoming product? I'm genuinely curious because these weird patents from Apple keep being posted by Macrumors and others but I can't remember a single instance where one of these strange product type patents predicted an actual future product. Does anyone else know?
Many eventually do. There are quite a few from the iPhone that were leaked and we're using the technology now. The original iPhone had tons of them. The touch sensor from the current generation is a recent one. Pretty much every new generation of the iPhone has some new technology with patents that were revealed to be filed years before the actual introduction of the device.

Apple plans these things way out in advance. So the tech they are developing and filing patents for this year are for devices in the pipeline that they plan to release a few years down the road. This particular patent was filed in 2012 so we might see it in the next year or two.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816
 
Tankmaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Pressure sensitive touchscreen sounds great, but in my mind the screen would be "mushy"? I don't know
But it sounds like it.
__________________
Check out our game Tank Maze
Tankmaze is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:51 AM   #12
johnfkitchen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Image


An Apple patent detailing pressure-sensitive touchscreens was published today by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, reports AppleInsider. Entitled "Gesture and touch input detection through force sensing," the application describes a system in which a traditional touchscreen is complimented by multiple force-sensors in order to better log unique gestures and more complex input.
<snip>
"complemented", please
johnfkitchen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:52 AM   #13
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn1217 View Post
Serious question.

Have any of these leaked patent applications from Apple EVER predicted a real upcoming product? I'm genuinely curious because these weird patents from Apple keep being posted by Macrumors and others but I can't remember a single instance where one of these strange product type patents predicted an actual future product. Does anyone else know?
Here's a few:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple...-port-3370632/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/12/a...rprint-sensor/

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/14/...on-technology/

I'm sure there are many I'm missing though.
dannyyankou is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Tech198
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
Everything was going fine, until i picked up on this word "complex input"

If these are to be extended to areas outside the touch screen, how would a user even know ?

All i can see here is more help will be needed on the operation of their device... as a "How do I do...? " type issues.

If people are confused now, they haven't seen anything yet.

I reckon Apple will go for this, why wouldn't they ?? They like anything that's 'touchy'

Its only convenient to them, not to anyone else. In fact all this stuff causes more confusion for people, which is why Apple must teach people...

It was never like this before gestures came along..


I just wish Apple would not only make products easy to use, but also think about their customers.... Then again,, if they provide extra help, then it's their own fault....

Microsoft doesn't need to do this, because its second nature to use Windows..

Apple must have workshops because, from my understanding, Apple's comes up with too much junk like this, too many ways to do the same thing, only because they have to honor Steve's "one button crap", Not looking out for everyone here..

I don't mind a few ways to do a few things, same with touch on iPad/iPhone, but going over the top with all sorts of more finger work just because it looks "cool" and not because it will save you time, Apple really lost the plot here.
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 4th Gen 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:24 AM   #15
lilo777
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Many eventually do. There are quite a few from the iPhone that were leaked and we're using the technology now. The original iPhone had tons of them. The touch sensor from the current generation is a recent one. Pretty much every new generation of the iPhone has some new technology with patents that were revealed to be filed years before the actual introduction of the device.

Apple plans these things way out in advance. So the tech they are developing and filing patents for this year are for devices in the pipeline that they plan to release a few years down the road. This particular patent was filed in 2012 so we might see it in the next year or two.
Nope. They never do. All the relevant patents are filed after the product is announced.
lilo777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:26 AM   #16
osx11
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr View Post
Even if they could, I don't think like it's as good of an idea as it sounds like. Holding the iPad by the bezel isn't just about avoiding extraneous touch inputs; if there wasn't a bezel your thumb would be covering part of the screen at all times, limiting your access to visual data.
Not to mention the location of the FaceTime camera and the home button.

However, I think the top and bottom bezel could very well be reduced while keeping the home button and FaceTime camera.

I think the home button is here to stay, especially now with TouchID. It's part of Apple's simplicity. Want to back to the home screen: press the only 'front' button on the device.
osx11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:40 AM   #17
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Everything was going fine, until i picked up on this word "complex input"

If these are to be extended to areas outside the touch screen, how would a user even know ?

All i can see here is more help will be needed on the operation of their device... as a "How do I do...? " type issues.

If people are confused now, they haven't seen anything yet.

I reckon Apple will go for this, why wouldn't they ?? They like anything that's 'touchy'

Its only convenient to them, not to anyone else. In fact all this stuff causes more confusion for people, which is why Apple must teach people...

It was never like this before gestures came along..


I just wish Apple would not only make products easy to use, but also think about their customers.... Then again,, if they provide extra help, then it's their own fault....

Microsoft doesn't need to do this, because its second nature to use Windows..

Apple must have workshops because, from my understanding, Apple's comes up with too much junk like this, too many ways to do the same thing, only because they have to honor Steve's "one button crap", Not looking out for everyone here..

I don't mind a few ways to do a few things, same with touch on iPad/iPhone, but going over the top with all sorts of more finger work just because it looks "cool" and not because it will save you time, Apple really lost the plot here.
Your post can be summed up with your last sentence. What is this rambling?
Jimmy James is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:58 AM   #18
Tech198
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
We'll see in time just how much stuff Apple can add.

If Apple had anything, i bet they would remove the Home button and just use a few fingers to get back to the Home screen :P Something i sure hope they don't start doing.
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 4th Gen 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 08:59 AM   #19
BigBeast
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Even though a home button is present on the device sketch, it wouldn't surprise me if this tech was used to remove the necessity of a home button.
__________________
2012 cMBP 2.6GHz Core i7 16gb 512 SSD iPhone 5S iPad Air
BigBeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:03 AM   #20
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
For the digital art community, this is exciting news.
An even more exciting one would be adding true Wacom support...
Menneisyys2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:05 AM   #21
jclardy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
These things are geting lighter and lighter. You would just hold it having your palm on the back of it and the thumb on the side edge.
That works when sitting or standing, but what about lounging on the couch or laying down?

And other than that what advantage does having no bezel bring? Being a quarter of an inch smaller on the sides? Also consider using the smart cover for typing, the edge of the screen is now essentially on the table.
__________________
Swift Fox Software | Amounts - Expense Tracker | Rocket Chimp | TargetTap Lite | TargetTap
jclardy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:06 AM   #22
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeast View Post
Even though a home button is present on the device sketch, it wouldn't surprise me if this tech was used to remove the necessity of a home button.
Did the home button run over your childhood pet or something? I find it extremely useful.
willcapellaro is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I knew this was coming when they patented the same thing for the trackpad! Awesome!
Z400Racer37 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:33 AM   #24
Saturn1217
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Thank you. I wasn't trying to be negative. I just wanted to know how excited i should get about these patent leaks.
__________________
13" MBA 2013, 1.7 GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD
Saturn1217 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:40 AM   #25
melendezest
macrumors 6502a
 
melendezest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
That would be useful on the rumored, larger iPad "Pro", especially for digital artists who've been pining for Wacom support or something like it.

It's all about the end product experience, so we'll see if this is successfully implemented.

Encouraging, though, that they are at least exploring the idea.
__________________
Love GOD more than anything, and your neighbor as you love you. Do this, and life will be good!
melendezest is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple's Exploration of Pressure Sensitive Touch Screens Continues MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 57 Apr 9, 2014 11:17 AM
Apple Details Uses for Sapphire Glass in New Patent Application MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 29 Feb 2, 2014 09:32 AM
Apple Wins Patent for Pressure-Sensitive Device Casings MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 71 Mar 8, 2013 08:50 AM
New Apple 'iWatch' Patent Application Reveals Slap Bracelet with Wraparound Touch-Sensitive Display MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 143 Feb 27, 2013 05:28 PM
Apple Granted Patent for 'In-Cell' Touchscreen Display Concepts MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 170 Aug 20, 2012 06:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC