Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

PayPal Angling for Mobile Payment Partnership with Apple

PayPal wants to be a part of Apple's mobile payment system and is willing to work closely with the Cupertino company to bring the initiative to fruition, claims a report from Re/code.

Quote:
Three payments industry executives tell Re/code that eBay-owned PayPal has been pitching Apple on helping the consumer electronics maker bring its long-rumored payments initiative to fruition. These people, who have spoken to contacts at both Apple and PayPal, say that PayPal is essentially willing to white label parts of its payment service to be used in an Apple mobile payments system -- anything from fraud detection to back-end infrastructure, even possibly down to the processing of payments.
Re/code's sources claim Apple is capable of rolling out a mobile payment system without PayPal's help, but they could not rule out the possibility of some type of partnership between the two companies.

Apple is allegedly focusing on the iPhone for its mobile payment system, though details on how the phone will process payments is not known. A recent patent application hints at the use of NFC and Bluetooth, the latter of which is compatible with the company's iBeacon technology. Apple recently deployed iBeacons throughout its retail chain of stores, while retailers like American Eagle and Safeway are experimenting with the technology in limited trials.

Today's report echoes an earlier report from the Wall Street Journal that said Eddie Cue was meeting with industry executives to "to discuss Apple's interest in handling payments for physical goods and services on its devices." Tim Cook also confirmed during Apple's recent earnings conference call that the mobile payment area was "one of the thoughts behind Touch ID" in the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: PayPal Angling for Mobile Payment Partnership with Apple
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Sky Blue

Yeah, I bet they're afraid. Very afraid.
Sky Blue is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Excellent way for Apple to demolish it's reputation of superior customer service. I know it's a cliche, but seriously, Steve Jobs would never consider doing business with Paypal after his experience w/ Motorola. We'll see if his protege Cook understands the stakes too.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:40 AM   #4
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Dear Apple:

No.

Thank you,

-All of us
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:40 AM   #5
macgabe
macrumors member

I really hope Apple don't team up with Paypal. Every few years they freeze my account, (and everybody else I know who lives here who has one), for no reason whatsoever - supposedly "security". Then make you jump through impossible hoops to get it unblocked. Like sending non-existent unlock codes. Mine has several hundred dollars in it. Been trying to unlock it for over a year already. Can't even find a phone number to call them. They've basically stolen my money.
macgabe is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:40 AM   #6
smithrh
macrumors 68020

That's a pairing from hell.
smithrh is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:41 AM   #7
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

please don't have a 3rd party involved with payments. just bill it to the credit card that i have on my iTunes account.
luckydcxx is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 AM   #8
tasset
macrumors 6502

Of all the loathesome, anti-consumer companies I am happy to have divorced myself from it is Paypal. I have faith that despite Paypal's desperate pleas and years of experience, Apple does not need one more middleman between the consumer and retailer. TouchID is a beautiful thing and needs to be as far removed from slime like Paypal as possible.
tasset is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 AM   #9
jaijaibinx
macrumors newbie

Why would apple... a trustworthy and honourable company, ever want to work with a company that practically encourages fraud failing to help when it happens to their customers, referring to small-print to cover their asses...

Paypal must be scared...

I design & build super sweet websites.
Portfolio | Facebook | Twitter | Linkedin
jaijaibinx is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 AM   #10
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

Not a fan of PayPal overall, but I would take some satisfaction in an Apple partnership with PayPal just because it would be a middle finger to Carl Icahn's advice to Apple and eBay.
ProVideo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:44 AM   #11
daneoni
macrumors G4

Not PayPal please. Those clowns only know how to take money from you and give it to scammers.

Would rather iCloud Keychain or even Square.

Last edited by daneoni; Jan 30, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
daneoni is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:44 AM   #12
budselectjr
macrumors 6502

I want nothing to do with Paypal.
budselectjr is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:45 AM   #13
tdiaz
macrumors 6502

Yeah. Great. I can see this now. Another three percent.
tdiaz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:45 AM   #14
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgabe View Post
I really hope Apple don't team up with Paypal. Every few years they freeze my account, (and everybody else I know who lives here who has one), for no reason whatsoever - supposedly "security". Then make you jump through impossible hoops to get it unblocked. Like sending non-existent unlock codes. Mine has several hundred dollars in it. Been trying to unlock it for over a year already. Can't even find a phone number to call them. They've basically stolen my money.
Plus they insist on having a hand in your checking account for "backup" purposes. In their TOS you agree that they can take money out of there anytime they want should they deem it necessary -- if your credit card payment fails, that may be fair enough, but if the buyer gives you money and then later reports that you ripped them off, PayPal can claw back the funds before you get a chance to dispute it properly. Good luck getting it back with no phone number to call to explain yourself. They've covered their own behinds so they make their money either way but they don't care at all about the customer.

PayPal is a necessary evil for some sites. I actually trust Apple with my credit card number and my active iTunes account. That's saying a lot, I think. Apple doesn't need PayPal's help.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
I'd rather them partner with Venmo - I love that app!
Diode is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:49 AM   #16
MarioG
macrumors newbie

I just can't understand why Apple doesn't simply buy Square, makes it available world-wide and maybe turns it into a bluetooth technology later and end of story
MarioG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:51 AM   #17
puma1552
macrumors 68040

Paypal? Yuck.

Horrible/non-existent customer service, and as mentioned, horrible hoops to jump through whenever they deem that there's apparently something wrong with your account. No effing thank you.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:51 AM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
I just can't understand why Apple doesn't simply buy Square, makes it available world-wide and maybe turns it into a bluetooth technology later and end of story
I'd love that. Is Jack Dorsey interested in selling?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:51 AM   #19
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

I don't use paypal that much so all these negative comments about them are a bit of a surprise to me. Having said that, I think that the one area that an iTunes approach may not be ready for is cash transactions. Paypal, from what I understands, acts a bit like a bank and has the ability to store cash and pay/transfer it around. Apple could built out its infrastructure to do this as well, I suppose, but I don't know if it wants to get into that business. This does seem something better suited to a partnership (paypal or someone else). For credit card transactions, I would agree that Apple already has everything it needs and therefore partnering with anyone makes no sense.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:52 AM   #20
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Please say no Apple. Do not need to be paying fees to Paypal to purchase anything through any Apple payment system. They get enough blood money through my Ebay business and exchange rates. Unless Apple gets to dictate the terms to Paypal, but even then. Apple would be in bed with a devil.

And please do not tell me merchants will be paying the fees either. Cause those will just be passed on to us the consumers.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:52 AM   #21
jumanji
macrumors member

i see the benefit for paypal...what does apple get out of it?
jumanji is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:54 AM   #22
oldhifi
macrumors 6502a

No!! I hate PayPal

Last edited by oldhifi; Jan 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM.
oldhifi is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:56 AM   #23
Orlandoech
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgabe View Post
They did this to me too and told me "it was best to part ways" and when I asked for them to explain they claim "due to fraud". I was livid.
Orlandoech is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:58 AM   #24
OneMike
macrumors 68040

I use paypal for business and personal, but no thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:58 AM   #25
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

No. I don't even want this to be a rumor. In fact, please delete this!
unplugme71 is offline   13 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion