Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PayPal wants to be a part of Apple's mobile payment system and is willing to work closely with the Cupertino company to bring the initiative to fruition, claims a report from Re/code.

paypal.jpg
Three payments industry executives tell Re/code that eBay-owned PayPal has been pitching Apple on helping the consumer electronics maker bring its long-rumored payments initiative to fruition. These people, who have spoken to contacts at both Apple and PayPal, say that PayPal is essentially willing to white label parts of its payment service to be used in an Apple mobile payments system -- anything from fraud detection to back-end infrastructure, even possibly down to the processing of payments.
Re/code's sources claim Apple is capable of rolling out a mobile payment system without PayPal's help, but they could not rule out the possibility of some type of partnership between the two companies.

Apple is allegedly focusing on the iPhone for its mobile payment system, though details on how the phone will process payments is not known. A recent patent application hints at the use of NFC and Bluetooth, the latter of which is compatible with the company's iBeacon technology. Apple recently deployed iBeacons throughout its retail chain of stores, while retailers like American Eagle and Safeway are experimenting with the technology in limited trials.

Today's report echoes an earlier report from the Wall Street Journal that said Eddie Cue was meeting with industry executives to "to discuss Apple's interest in handling payments for physical goods and services on its devices." Tim Cook also confirmed during Apple's recent earnings conference call that the mobile payment area was "one of the thoughts behind Touch ID" in the iPhone 5s.

Article Link: PayPal Angling for Mobile Payment Partnership with Apple

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Excellent way for Apple to demolish it's reputation of superior customer service. I know it's a cliche, but seriously, Steve Jobs would never consider doing business with Paypal after his experience w/ Motorola. We'll see if his protege Cook understands the stakes too.

macgabe

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2012
I really hope Apple don't team up with Paypal. Every few years they freeze my account, (and everybody else I know who lives here who has one), for no reason whatsoever - supposedly "security". Then make you jump through impossible hoops to get it unblocked. Like sending non-existent unlock codes. Mine has several hundred dollars in it. Been trying to unlock it for over a year already. Can't even find a phone number to call them. They've basically stolen my money.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
please don't have a 3rd party involved with payments. just bill it to the credit card that i have on my iTunes account.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Of all the loathesome, anti-consumer companies I am happy to have divorced myself from it is Paypal. I have faith that despite Paypal's desperate pleas and years of experience, Apple does not need one more middleman between the consumer and retailer. TouchID is a beautiful thing and needs to be as far removed from slime like Paypal as possible.

jaijaibinx

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
Leigh-On-Sea, United Kingdom
Why would apple... a trustworthy and honourable company, ever want to work with a company that practically encourages fraud failing to help when it happens to their customers, referring to small-print to cover their asses...

Paypal must be scared...

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Not a fan of PayPal overall, but I would take some satisfaction in an Apple partnership with PayPal just because it would be a middle finger to Carl Icahn's advice to Apple and eBay.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Not PayPal please. Those clowns only know how to take money from you and give it to scammers.

Would rather iCloud Keychain or even Square.

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I really hope Apple don't team up with Paypal. Every few years they freeze my account, (and everybody else I know who lives here who has one), for no reason whatsoever - supposedly "security". Then make you jump through impossible hoops to get it unblocked. Like sending non-existent unlock codes. Mine has several hundred dollars in it. Been trying to unlock it for over a year already. Can't even find a phone number to call them. They've basically stolen my money.

Plus they insist on having a hand in your checking account for "backup" purposes. In their TOS you agree that they can take money out of there anytime they want should they deem it necessary -- if your credit card payment fails, that may be fair enough, but if the buyer gives you money and then later reports that you ripped them off, PayPal can claw back the funds before you get a chance to dispute it properly. Good luck getting it back with no phone number to call to explain yourself. They've covered their own behinds so they make their money either way but they don't care at all about the customer.

PayPal is a necessary evil for some sites. I actually trust Apple with my credit card number and my active iTunes account. That's saying a lot, I think. Apple doesn't need PayPal's help.

MarioG

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
Slovenia
I just can't understand why Apple doesn't simply buy Square, makes it available world-wide and maybe turns it into a bluetooth technology later and end of story :confused:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Paypal? Yuck.

Horrible/non-existent customer service, and as mentioned, horrible hoops to jump through whenever they deem that there's apparently something wrong with your account. No effing thank you.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I just can't understand why Apple doesn't simply buy Square, makes it available world-wide and maybe turns it into a bluetooth technology later and end of story :confused:

I'd love that. Is Jack Dorsey interested in selling?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I don't use paypal that much so all these negative comments about them are a bit of a surprise to me. Having said that, I think that the one area that an iTunes approach may not be ready for is cash transactions. Paypal, from what I understands, acts a bit like a bank and has the ability to store cash and pay/transfer it around. Apple could built out its infrastructure to do this as well, I suppose, but I don't know if it wants to get into that business. This does seem something better suited to a partnership (paypal or someone else). For credit card transactions, I would agree that Apple already has everything it needs and therefore partnering with anyone makes no sense.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Please say no Apple. Do not need to be paying fees to Paypal to purchase anything through any Apple payment system. They get enough blood money through my Ebay business and exchange rates. Unless Apple gets to dictate the terms to Paypal, but even then. Apple would be in bed with a devil.

And please do not tell me merchants will be paying the fees either. Cause those will just be passed on to us the consumers.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

They did this to me too and told me "it was best to part ways" and when I asked for them to explain they claim "due to fraud". I was livid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.