Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Oh dear gods, what a complete and utter waste of human energy these new TLDs are going to be. All so that a few people can charge other people money to register more worthless domain names.

It'd be so much simpler to just cancel the zillions of "squatted" domains that no one's doing anything useful with and start selling them to people who'll actually use them.

Why does it matter to you?

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Now some generic terms might be acceptable that describe what you do in broader terms, but only time will tell. I plan on snapping up a few specific to my business interests. I'm also definitely going to be registering some .app TLDs for work.

Like you say, I can only really see this being useful for something generic, similar to goo.gl -- g.mail maybe.

Or iPod.apple, Mac.apple, iCloud.apple, etc.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Those Gurus are absolutely useless. I went to Apple store with question about new iPad charging cable. Cable which I bought of ebay is not genuine and is charging twice slower. That is thanks to ios7 design, which now can recognize not genuine cables and force every one of us to buy very expensive cables insted. All this because someone electrocuted himself in china other day. Or is it??? I am not going to start conspiracy theory here.
Anyway this guru didn't know anything about this issue. It said it’s perfectly fine to use other suppliers because its just a cable!
I would recommend them to use some research here on Macrumors pages before go to work.

If it was perfectly fine, why does it charge twice as slow? I'd imagine some (generic) cables are better than others.

Edit: If you're plugging it into the wall and it came with a usb->wall adapter, you may want to try using a different one (such as an Apple one) because they can effect charging times greatly.

I don't understand electricity well, but try using whichever one has higher Amperage because I've seen a correlation between amperage and charging times (regardless of cord). It may be worth looking into. Also, they usually charge faster in the wall than with a computer (their USB ports don't tend to put out as much power).

Last edited:

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
The only people who will benefit from these new TLDs are the domain registers. There'll be a huge landgrab and 1000's of squatters will waste their money buying domains that no serious bit hitter would bother with.

Over here in Europe, years ago they released a .eu TLD when there was still only the original .com, .net, etc. They completely made a mess of the process and domain bots registered everything that corporations hadn't paid a large sum to pre-register.

The domain was never taken seriously and sank immediately into oblivion.

The new domains will be nice for amateur photographers, bloggers etc, but that's about it.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Any rich Amiga fans? meditation.guru still looks available right now...

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
Every address I try, even totally random letters, says it's already taken and won't let me preorder

Mr. Amiga500

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
Canada
I haven't seen a Guru error in a long time. The good old days.

Guru_meditation.gif

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
If they had just purchased .guru to begin with, the problems would be null.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Why?

Why do they keep coming out with these stupid extensions? Seriously there needs to be a ".app" extension. Not "Guru". What's next? .rabbi? .pastor? .buddha? It just doesn't make any sense.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Oh dear gods, what a complete and utter waste of human energy these new TLDs are going to be. All so that a few people can charge other people money to register more worthless domain names.

It'd be so much simpler to just cancel the zillions of "squatted" domains that no one's doing anything useful with and start selling them to people who'll actually use them.

Someone's upset they didn't get sex.guru domain.

----------

"Guru" is the name of the equivalent of Geniuses in a Microsoft Store.

They stand at a counter with stools that they originally named the "Guru Bar".

And guess how the staff dresses?

There is a reason why it looks like that. Apple Stores and MSFT stores were designed by the same person.

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
Why does it matter to you?
Because I sometimes consult with clients about their online presence, and having to deal with hundreds of TLDs (instead of a handful) which might duplicate their names and make it more difficult for their clients just makes the job more difficult. The only people who benefit from this are domain squatters, registrars, and lawyers, none of whom do anything particularly useful for society. Thanks for pretending to care.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
All these new TLD are a great way to get companies to register hundreds of new domains that will never be used by consumers. The reason .com is popular is because you don't have to think about it. It's the generally agreed upon default value. Nobody is going to remember which domain matches with each company. What if a new company named ShadyWear that sells sunglasses and beach umbrellas registers ShadyWear.sunglasses? But ShadyWear.umbrellas isn't a TLD yet, or for whatever reason they couldn't register that domain. But what if the customer wants an umbrella? They're going to see ShadyWear.sunglasses and think no way do they sell umbrellas. It's easier to remember ShadyWear.com or, like Incase which makes gear for Apple products, goincase.com because incase.com was already taken. It's easier to remember and doesn't box you into a niche market where you don't feel like you can expand your products.

Now some generic terms might be acceptable that describe what you do in broader terms, but only time will tell. I plan on snapping up a few specific to my business interests. I'm also definitely going to be registering some .app TLDs for work.

Yup -- I'm pretty sure no-one is going to go to "apple.guru" or any of those other ones. IMO the only domains that are really useful are .com, .org, .gov and the country domains.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Why you no upgrade?

i dont know who the iphone.guru is but certainly not the idiot or her supervisor in applecare who i spoke to recently.

for some reasons texts dont transfer from a ios3 backup to ios7 and their advice was to either take screenshots of them or write them down.

You never upgraded your iOS? That was silly.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
You never upgraded your iOS? That was silly.

not exactly the scenario but the fact remains the apple staff in applecare and supervisors there could not offer a better solution than this. ios4 to ios7 works however.

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Agreed.

not exactly the scenario but the fact remains the apple staff in applecare and supervisors there could not offer a better solution than this. ios4 to ios7 works however.

Agreed. I just don't think Apple even supports anything older than iOS 4.3 at this point, most likely 5.1 now. But then again, these older versions of iOS did not automatically upgrade so it would require connecting to iTunes to run to the update. But that means this person was looking for trouble since that's the ONLY way to sync and backup the device in those versions.

They could also look into some software like DiskAid that can extract text messages from the operating system without using iTunes but that may not even support an iOS that old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.