Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyGeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Canada eh?
Hello Fellow Macrumors,

I was just wonder what are your favorite extension for your browser of choice?

Thanks
GG

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Firefox Browser

1. 1 Password: Password and identity manager for Mac, Windows, IOS & Android.
  2. Google Shortcuts: Display all Google services as buttons or as a space-saving dropdown menu next to your address bar. Reach services like Gmail, Google reader, Google maps, Google calendar, and many more in a single click from your browser.
  3. Firefogg: Video & audio encoding for Firefox.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Here is my list from Safari.

Zz5Ng4r.png

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I use Firefox. My three essentials:

Adblock Plus -- How can anyone do without this? It's spectacular!
1Password -- Automatically insert those userids and passwords! Whew!
Ghostery -- See and block web browsing trackers (e.g. ad networks). Sure are a lot of 'em.

Adblock Plus is what has always kept me on Firefox. (Well, that and general lazyness.) I understand there's an Adblock for Safari (by a diff. developer), but the last time I checked (quite awhile ago) it lacked the blocking list subscription feature, which I've found key to my happiness. Now I don't have to enter/maintain blocking rules, someone else does it very competently, for free!

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
For Safari:

1Password
ClickToFlash

For Firefox:

1Password
FlashBlock

I get tired of all the Flash that loads on some pages.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Here is my list - I have to say I highly recommend "Unread->Tabs" - basically with a Ctrl-Click and select the option it will take all unread threads (i.e. those with new posts), and open each in its own tab, simply brilliant for form reading...

Attachments

• Untitled copy.jpg
    Untitled copy.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 214

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Adblock Plus is what has always kept me on Firefox. (Well, that and general lazyness.) I understand there's an Adblock for Safari (by a diff. developer), but the last time I checked (quite awhile ago) it lacked the blocking list subscription feature, which I've found key to my happiness. Now I don't have to enter/maintain blocking rules, someone else does it very competently, for free!
There's a beta of Adblock Plus for Safari now and the Adblock for Safari has used subscriptions for a while now. WHat's keeping me on firefox is cookie management.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Thanks, Bear, good to know. And if I get tempted to switch to Safari now I'll know to check out the cookie management, too.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There's a beta of Adblock Plus for Safari now and the Adblock for Safari has used subscriptions for a while now. WHat's keeping me on firefox is cookie management.

Thanks, Bear, good to know. And if I get tempted to switch to Safari now I'll know to check out the cookie management, too.

I have been using the app Cookie for cookie management. Basically you check mark which cookies you want to keep (whitelist) and the app deletes everything else. I have it configured to run when I quit Safari. It also allows you to whitelist Safari local storage entries in the same way.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have been using the app Cookie for cookie management. Basically you check mark which cookies you want to keep (whitelist) and the app deletes everything else. I have it configured to run when I quit Safari. It also allows you to whitelist Safari local storage entries in the same way.
It looks interesting, but it leaves a few questions. Can you configure it so cookies for some sites are kept until they expire, some are kept for the session (until browser quit) and some totally blocked (or removed right away)? Firefox allows for all three.

Also, it looks like it runs as a separate program instead of a browser extension. Is that correct?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It looks interesting, but it leaves a few questions. Can you configure it so cookies for some sites are kept until they expire, some are kept for the session (until browser quit) and some totally blocked (or removed right away)? Firefox allows for all three.

Also, it looks like it runs as a separate program instead of a browser extension. Is that correct?

I have used Firefox (quite a while ago though), so I am familiar with those options, and Cookie is much more limited. All it does is list cookies on your system and you go through and check the box next to the cookies you want to whitelist. If it not on the whitelist, the cookies get deleted. You can configure to delete every XX minutes or on browser quit. It also automatically IDs tracking cookies and optionally deletes them.

It is a separate app that runs as a menulet.

The dev. has a free trial if you want to try it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.