Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeffrey Lim

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2003
Ok, I'm one of those guys in the Android phone, but Apple iPad camp. I use Swype and love it on the Android, and can't stand the Apple keyboard. It's not just the gesture typing that I miss on iOS -- and I do miss it -- it's also the ability to quickly enter numbers and symbols.

There are two ways to enter numbers/symbols.

Option 1:
a. Tap "123"
b. Then tap the symbol or number you want
c. Tap "123" to return to the usual keyboard.

OR

Option 2:
a. Tap "123" and drag to the symbol/number you want
b. There is no (b). It will automatically return to the usual keyboard.

Would still definitely love Apple to have a Swype/SwiftKey keyboard available in all apps in iOS.

Last edited:

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
'SwiftKey Note' Brings Contextual Word Suggestions and Autocorrect to iOS wit...

'Swiping' doesn't fit my typing method. I touch type both on a full keyboard and on a 'thumb' keyboard. I use both thumbs when typing on the iPhone. I think the word and my fingers and/or thumbs do the work. When I try to use the swipe method I'm always pausing to remember where the next letter is located. I find the predictive display to be distracting, my thumbs usually finish the word before my brain realizes it has been displayed.

I do like the way it enters new words into it's dictionary, I've found iOS to be rather slow to learn new words.

Koolaid74

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
So they basically "brought" two things that I could already do since iOS1? Amazing....

Sorry but there's nothing wrong with the default keyboard. I don't see why we need anything different....

Have you ever used any of the alternative keyboards on Android for an extensive period of time? I just can't fathom that people would prefer the iOS default keyboard. I use both on a daily basis and I can type at least twice as fast on the Android keyboard and it just annoys me less, too. Much better prediction, faster with the swype-style gestures, and no need to switch keyboard layouts for common punctuation and numbers.

I'm a long-time iOS user, but I am flabbergasted by the amount of people in this forum who are not only clueless about Android(somewhat understandable if you're not a tech savvy/gadget geek) but, more, so close-minded about anything that is not iOS.

I agree with dukeblue. When I tried out an Android phone for 5 months(couldn't deal with all the bugginess so switched back to iOS), I loved the Android keyboard. Not just SwiftKey(which is MUCH better at predictive typing), but also Swype. Swype is really the killer feature, because it gives you the ability to type not only faster, but also with one finger. Combine these two and you have a keyboard which is superior to the iOS keyboard, which essentially has not changed since iOS came out.(one can argue the same for iOS, period)

I love iOS. I just wish Apple would open up things a bit more to allow other keyboard innovators to make it better. OR, Apple should improve the default system keyboard themselves with features like Swype/Swiftkey. I expected this with iOS6. We still do not have it and we are looking at iOS7.1. This, along with other non-updates and only a fresh coat of paint, don't just make iOS stale; iOS is years behind now. Terrible Apple.

atsang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Maybe I'm dreaming, but my iPhone dictionary is not static and app dependent. For example, I use our kids initials instead of their names when texting my wife. Not only does the phone remember to use the initials and capitalise them, it changes it regardless of where I input the info; text, shopping list, note app, Pages, etc.

Yes, the iOS keyboard is native, so it goes wherever you go on the phone. I was exaggerating about the "manual" aspect. The iOS dictionary does update automatically by you first accepting a custom spelling of something (thats how most local dictionaries get updated on mobile) at the local native OS level. You're still limited to only the content you create on that particular phone.

A full featured Swiftkey is learning from almost everything you type, from anywhere (well, at least the social network hooks they provide us), from your browser/tablet/phone. Ex. Facebook status updates, Gmail sent mail, Twitter posts. It doesn't keep your custom dictionary on the cloud; its ability to learn is only limited to the plugins they provide us. No matter which (android) device or location you're at, you'll always have the ability to pull down your latest personal dictionary.

----------

This is not accurate at all. I can literally have swift key write a paragraph without me even touching the keyboard...iOS doesn't auto guess words before you start typing.

I agree with the fact that it needs to learn. It's pretty useful after using it for about 1 week. I find it vastly superior to iOS autocorrect, it's not even a comparison. But now that I'm back on iOS this is probably the biggest thing I miss from android.

No, it's pretty accurate. I mentioned the key differentiator being the words above the keyboard. But in this particular implementation of Swiftkey, the UX/UI of the native iOS is never lost. My point being that any iOS user would not be confused by the behavior and look of the keys themselves.

Last edited:

Koolaid74

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
'Swiping' doesn't fit my typing method. I touch type both on a full keyboard and on a 'thumb' keyboard. I use both thumbs when typing on the iPhone. I think the word and my fingers and/or thumbs do the work. When I try to use the swipe method I'm always pausing to remember where the next letter is located. I find the predictive display to be distracting, my thumbs usually finish the word before my brain realizes it has been displayed.

I do like the way it enters new words into it's dictionary, I've found iOS to be rather slow to learn new words.

Styx,

I sympathize. When I first started using Swype on an Android phone, I ran into the exact same issue. I would often start a word with a the first two letters and then basically get lazy/distracted with the rest of the letters. But the combination of the keyboard learning your swiping style and your word tendencies and your brain catching on to the swiping-words motion and process eventually comes together and you will start typing much faster without having to type out whole words. It just takes some time getting used to, but the payoff is significant. This is the biggest thing I miss about Android.(may be the only thing, actually)

atsang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
For me, one of the best features is its automatic language switch, I can speak in Spanish, Catalan or English without having to change any flag, and it can mix languages on the fly.

I don't write in multiple languages but i can imagine that feature is pretty sweet.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
Styx,

I sympathize. When I first started using Swype on an Android phone, I ran into the exact same issue. I would often start a word with a the first two letters and then basically get lazy/distracted with the rest of the letters. But the combination of the keyboard learning your swiping style and your word tendencies and your brain catching on to the swiping-words motion and process eventually comes together and you will start typing much faster without having to type out whole words. It just takes some time getting used to, but the payoff is significant. This is the biggest thing I miss about Android.(may be the only thing, actually)

I admit to the possibility that, if I used it on a regular basis, I would get used to using a keyboard in that manner. I switched to the 'FITALY' keyboard back in the Palm Pilot, Windows Mobile days and would switch back if it was available on iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not really different than the standard iOS keyboard from a UX perspective, you're just getting some smart word suggestion/spelling corrections above the keyboard. The difference here is that the auto correct and word suggestions are learned (from Evernote in this case) and not only from a static dictionary, and they've made it one click. You'll need to be a heavy Evernote user in order to maximize the Swiftkey word database as it has no other sources to draw from.

However, the best parts about Swiftkey from Android are still missing here: gesture based typing, and ability to learn from a multitude of sources (your SMS app, Facebook, etc).
It seems to be better at autocorrections/predictions from the beginning even without any learning yet. The iOS 7 keyboard seems to be worse than pre-iOS 6 as far as realizing which keys you might mean to use when you tap on edges of them or in between them when typing faster, and thus more spelling errors seem to occur, combined with a somewhat weaker autocorrect it's not as good as it used to be, and this keyboard seems to improve most of that (even if it's essentially laid out the same way).

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Have you ever used any of the alternative keyboards on Android for an extensive period of time? I just can't fathom that people would prefer the iOS default keyboard. I use both on a daily basis and I can type at least twice as fast on the Android keyboard and it just annoys me less, too. Much better prediction, faster with the swype-style gestures, and no need to switch keyboard layouts for common punctuation and numbers.

I think the key word here is probably 'extensive'. Tbh any time I've tried an alternate keyboard it's driven me nuts so quickly that I've switched back, and I've never, ever understood the appeal of swype gestures. I think it's because I'm fairly quick and accurate already on the keyboard, so sacrificing that for the period of time it takes to get used to a new keyboard or make it work for me has never been worth it.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Never see the use of these keyboards, personally type as fast as I like on the normal keyboard and seems plenty quick enough.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
I'm a long-time iOS user, but I am flabbergasted by the amount of people in this forum who are not only clueless about Android(somewhat understandable if you're not a tech savvy/gadget geek) but, more, so close-minded about anything that is not iOS.

I agree with dukeblue. When I tried out an Android phone for 5 months(couldn't deal with all the bugginess so switched back to iOS), I loved the Android keyboard. Not just SwiftKey(which is MUCH better at predictive typing), but also Swype. Swype is really the killer feature, because it gives you the ability to type not only faster, but also with one finger. Combine these two and you have a keyboard which is superior to the iOS keyboard, which essentially has not changed since iOS came out.(one can argue the same for iOS, period)

I love iOS. I just wish Apple would open up things a bit more to allow other keyboard innovators to make it better. OR, Apple should improve the default system keyboard themselves with features like Swype/Swiftkey. I expected this with iOS6. We still do not have it and we are looking at iOS7.1. This, along with other non-updates and only a fresh coat of paint, don't just make iOS stale; iOS is years behind now. Terrible Apple.

Wait, why should Apple "open up iOS" so it can become just as bloated, slow, and ugly as Android? iOS runs fine as it is; I don't want Apple to open up the flood gates just because a niche want it to be more like Android.

Apple shouldn't try to fix what isn't broken.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Apple needs to get their **** together and let us use this system wide.

The principle of "we know best, you don't need to change anything" doesn't really work when their solutions are dated and and kind of crappy.

While I agree, Apple's become a massive battleship that is slow to make changes. Thus they're hell-bent on doing things their way only. SWYPE for example, has been out for _years_ and it's still off limits as prohibited by Apple.

If Apple didn't invent it, they ignore it. They're all about self centered arrogance.

Koolaid74

macrumors member
May 13, 2011
Wait, why should Apple "open up iOS" so it can become just as bloated, slow, and ugly as Android? iOS runs fine as it is; I don't want Apple to open up the flood gates just because a niche want it to be more like Android.

My apologies for not making my point clear.

I don't want Apple to open up iOS completely, like Android. I think they should allow keyboard replacements. I am also okay with Apple making keyboard improvements themselves, but they have yet to do so. Apple already vets all apps via the App Store anyway, so I highly doubt they would allow "bloated, slow and ugly" apps to be installed even if they allow access to the iOS keyboard.

Just because Apple doesn't want to dedicate the time/resources to improve the keyboard, that doesn't mean that they should not allow others to try. Competition is always good and fosters innovation. The current keyboard has been, for all intents and purposes, unchanged since the iPhone came out. "Don't fix what's not broken" does not apply in this case because there are far superior keyboards out there, all of which are on Android. We can still ride a horse to work because it gets us to our destination, but that doesn't mean we can't look for improvements.

I came back to iOS from Android because Android just didn't work as well for me. But that doesn't mean that I can't wish for better features. The problem is that most iOS users are stuck in the iOS way of doing things so they either don't know any better or refuse to give other ways a try and judging Android because it's not "pretty". This is how Apple can become a Sony in the next few years, and when they realize that they have fallen behind, it will be too late. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen because I have loved Apple products and am grateful for the innovations they used to bring to the market.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
This girl in the video is really beautiful!

She is. But even though she is young she has apparently made many mistakes, none of which she wants to take responsibility for.

----------

This is how Apple can become a Sony in the next few years, and when they realize that they have fallen behind, it will be too late. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen because I have loved Apple products and am grateful for the innovations they used to bring to the market.

Do you miss SONY?

----------

. If Apple didn't invent it, they ignore it. They're all about self centered arrogance.

Oh, I thought they were about great products that everyone loved and had to have.

Koolaid74

macrumors member
May 13, 2011

Do you miss SONY?

I was never a huge fan of Sony, but I know that Sony in the 80's was pushing the envelope in terms of design and features. Their inclination for proprietary formats aside, I think they helped the consumer electronics industry make progress rather than stay stagnant. Eventually, their product quality declined, their premium price was less justified, and they became a dinosaur.(taken over by Samsung to fill that role in the mid-2000's) I just don't want that to happen to Apple. With every year that passes without a major iOS overhaul, they're are relying more on the phone design, popularity, and hardcore fans to sell phones rather than features that work the best.(rather than features that "just work" but is still stuck in the past) As we are seeing, the appeal of the phone's design and popularity are plateauing/saturating. I'll stop ranting about this. :)

atsang

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
It seems to be better at autocorrections/predictions from the beginning even without any learning yet. The iOS 7 keyboard seems to be worse than pre-iOS 6 as far as realizing which keys you might mean to use when you tap on edges of them or in between them when typing faster, and thus more spelling errors seem to occur, combined with a somewhat weaker autocorrect it's not as good as it used to be, and this keyboard seems to improve most of that (even if it's essentially laid out the same way).

I only mention the UX/UI in response to him saying he "couldn't get a hang of it". As an iOS user, there should be very little difference from using the native KB and SwiftKey Note's KB as the buttons look and act nearly the same. For the reasons you've explained, SwiftKey's is just going to be much better to use than native.

----------

If Apple didn't invent it, they ignore it. They're all about self centered arrogance.

Well...what about multitasking via card swiping? Or copy-paste? Or SBsettin- oh, I mean, Notification Center?

I'm not sure how they managed to ignore new keyboard ideas since the very first iphone?

----------

I don't want Apple to open up iOS completely, like Android. I think they should allow keyboard replacements. I am also okay with Apple making keyboard improvements themselves, but they have yet to do so. Apple already vets all apps via the App Store anyway, so I highly doubt they would allow "bloated, slow and ugly" apps to be installed even if they allow access to the iOS keyboard.

Yup. You nailed it. I completely agree. We all know there are only like 1 or 2 keyboards you would even let touch your Android phone. It's basically SwiftKey and Swype. Curating an amazing group of keyboard apps could be done by ANY plebeian tech blog reader.

----------

'Swiping' doesn't fit my typing method. I touch type both on a full keyboard and on a 'thumb' keyboard. I use both thumbs when typing on the iPhone.

SwiftKey's gesture based typing is an opt-in option. By default it is off. And even if you do turn it on, two thumb tapping works exactly the same.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm confused. I tried it, but I thought SwiftKey was the thing where you could swipe from letter to letter?

This app failed to do that.

Interesting_Way_924

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Android fanatic here. If you gave me the iOS keyboard, I'd be happy on Android. I get it that you guys are complaining about not having custom keyboards but we still don't have a solid tapping keyboard yet.

Google Keyboard? Half decent at tapping, although it should definitely scale with the larger phones. The keyboard is getting so tall I miss the spacebar with my thumb a lot on the Nexus 5. Plus, its autocorrect sucks.

The only autocorrecting keyboards that may be more accurate than the iOS keyboard are Swiftkey and Fleksy.

Swiftkey pisses me off though. The skins are ugly, and after over 3 years of development, they have only 1 page of setting at best. It's frustrating that everytime it predicts my login name, it adds a space still afterward. And it's stupid that it still types www. macrumors. com. Spaces hello? Maybe a freaking option to turn off the space option? And then of course they force us to use a numpad when every other standard keyboard out there uses a num row interface. To me that's just stupid. At least give us a choice.

Fleksy? I don't get why people feel the need to reinvent the keyboard. Why do they move the backspace button to the bottom row where Enter typically is? Why? Same with the shift button? It's where the ABC/123 toggle should be.

All I want on Android is a solid tapping keyboard that responds well. Unfortunately, even though Google's made progress at a turtle's pace, they seem to be the best at this. There's a 3rd party keyboard based on AOSP code that adds a lot of features though--Kii Keyboard. Think Google Keyboard but with 10 pages of customization. That's what I use today.

But everytime I pick up my iPhone 5 for work, I'm amazed at how accurate I can type on a tinyass screen. It amazes me how Apple got tapping down right, and til this day Android is all about showing off a new way to type without addressing the basic issue of tapping.

I've owned 5 Android phones now and I've tried every freaking keyboard. I'm pretty upset and tired of finding the right keyboard.

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
SwiftKey is such a mindblowing update over regular keyboards. It's really sad whenever I have to type on an iOS device coming from my android phone. If apple wants to be all apple about it they could just force companies that make alternate keyboards to adhere to stricter design specs.

----------

Swiftkey pisses me off though. The skins are ugly, and after over 3 years of development, they have only 1 page of setting at best.
I just checked there's 6 pages of settings.

It's frustrating that everytime it predicts my login name, it adds a space still afterward.
Hold a prediction to remove it from your predictions?

And it's stupid that it still types www. macrumors. com. Spaces hello? Maybe a freaking option to turn off the space option?

That option is in the preferences actually.

And then of course they force us to use a numpad when every other standard keyboard out there uses a num row interface. To me that's just stupid. At least give us a choice.

The numbers are long presses on the top row, barely takes more time to type them. You can adjust the length of long press.

Does it have the swiping feature?

Yes.

Man swiftkey should hire me.

----------

My android device is almost 2 generations behind and lightning fast. This may have been a concern 5 years ago but androids that I've used lately are actually faster than iOS. My gf has an iphone4, which is almost unusably slow. So you see, fast iphone = fast experience, fast android = fast experience, slow phone = bloated and slow.

Interesting_Way_924

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
SwiftKey is such a mindblowing update over regular keyboards. It's really sad whenever I have to type on an iOS device coming from my android phone. If apple wants to be all apple about it they could just force companies that make alternate keyboards to adhere to stricter design specs.

The iOS keyboard still has nothing like it on the Android side.

Yeah with like 1 or 2 lines each. It doesn't add up to much honestly. You can't really do much with the keyboard other than change themes. Many other keyboards have FAR more settings. Smart Keyboard Pro, Better Keyboard, Ai Keyboard, Fleksy, etc.

Moreover, Languages doesn't really count as a settings menu. That doesn't really change the typing experience. Theme & Layout is only visuals, and so that leaves sound & vibration, input methods and advanced as actual settings you can tweak. That's freaking it. It's the same settings practically from 2010, with maybe only an improvement in that we can choose key size now. You can't choose no space after picking. Double space = period like every other keyboard? Like I said, they're not interested in letting you choose any features and are more interested in making you type their way. That's it.

Swiftkey's power is in predictions. No other keyboard predicts login emails, usernames, URLs as well as Swiftkey. Yet when you select a prediction, it auto spaces. Doesn't really make sense for forms and URLs right? Maybe an option to disable space after picking like some other keyboards have would be nice?

where?

The numbers are long presses on the top row, barely takes more time to type them. You can adjust the length of long press.

That's one way to input numbers, but it's far faster to hit the numkey and switch over and type my address or zip code for example. My point was that every single standard keyboard uses a numrow format. If you like numpad, that's fine, but shouldn't they offer a choice at least? My gripe with these keyboards are that they're more interested in changing the way you type rather than to build off of a familiar platform.

My android device is almost 2 generations behind and lightning fast. This may have been a concern 5 years ago but androids that I've used lately are actually faster than iOS. My gf has an iphone4, which is almost unusably slow. So you see, fast iphone = fast experience, fast android = fast experience, slow phone = bloated and slow.

I have a Droid 1, Nexus S, GS2, GS3, Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and honestly other than the Nexus 4 and 5, the rest are slow as hell. I've owned two iPod Touches, a 3GS and an iPhone 5, and I can tell you that only at the Nexus 4 was Android even relatively competitive in terms of device speed. If anything Apple shot itself in the foot with iOS7 because now my iPhone 5 is slower (only slightly) than my Nexus 4 despite doing a full factory reset.

Web browsing on Chrome is still slow, and there's a handful of apps that are laggy on Android such as the stock Messaging app, Google Voice, etc. None of those run at 60 fps on my Nexus 5.

Don't get me wrong, I love Android and I'd buy another one, but the keyboard has been quite disappointing so far, and even the alternatives are meh.

In many ways I applaud the way Swiftkey is integrated in iOS. It builds on the same layout of the iOS keyboard but adds in prediction. To me that's how they should've approached Android. They don't need the exact same layout, but they shouldn't have changed so many basic typing features that's STANDARD across iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BB. They should've taken a standard layout, standard keyboard features and worked on upping the prediction and autocorrection. If they wanted to add numrow, that should've been an option, etc.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
I downloaded HipJot from the app store to try that guy's keyboard. It was featured here on MR a few weeks ago.

I have to say, after using that guy's keyboard for a little while, i come away with the feeling that the iOS stock keyboard is feeling a touch dated. If Apple doesn't update the keyboard input soon we will need to at least have some options.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

----------

Yes.

Man swiftkey should hire me.

----------

Is this all/mostly in reference to SwiftKey for Android or for iOS as in the app that was released and being discussed in this article/thread?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.