Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
I have my 2011 mac mini connected to my Panasonic HDTV via a single HDMI cable. Nothing else is connected to my HDTV. When I go into the audio midi application, it shows two Panasonic HDMI outputs. Up until a few days ago, it correctly listed only one HDMI output.

When I use EyeTV or Plex, I can toggle between the two HDMI outputs and one of them puts out audio. The other does not. How can I delete the HDMI output that doesn't work?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Easy. On your Lion Mac system go to the folder /YourHardDrive/Library/Preferences/Audio and delete the first listed plist. Then restart to rebuild that file. This will reset the sound device listing.

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
Almost two years after my initial creation of this thread and I'm still having the same problem. All my hardware and connections are the same, only difference is that now I'm running OSX Mavericks.

I still have just one HDMI cable connecting my Mac Mini directly to my Panasonic HDTV. No switches are involved.

It seems when my Mac Mini wakes from sleep it sometimes creates a second, non-functioning, HDMI output Audio Device which can be seen in the Audio Midi Setup application. The creation of this non-functioning HDMI audio device always prevents my Plex and EyeTV applications from passing audio to the Panasonic TV.

Any ideas how I can prevent this from happening? Or to correct it without having to restart the Mac Mini every time?

This has been very frustrating.

EDIT: Moderators, please move this thread to the "Apple TV and Home Theater" forum if that's the better place for this discussion.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.