Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyrilleImage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Germany
Hi 99% guys and 1% girls,

well It seems that the new Mac Pro is all about OpenCl and video processing.
I think we have now a good idea of what can be expected according to many specific type of applications (video, photography, programming, gaming, etc.).
I'm primarily interested by its potential for 3D rendering, using OpenGl framework such as OpenSceneGraph.

http://www.openscenegraph.org

It's a fantastic and very powerful library, I've already spent a lot of time with and obviously expect to pursue further intensive developments.

Any feedback how the nMp graphical cards (D300 / D500 /D700) compete against let's say a NVIDIA Quadro K5000 to render large 3D tessellation or volume rendering (medical imaging , Computed tomography scans, etc.)?

Many thanks, it would help me to order or not a specific configuration of the mac pro 2013.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Every rendering engine, whether it's for the preview window or final output, has strengths associated with every video card. Apple future is appears tightly coupled with their former head of hardware and AMD's current CTO.

While CUDA/NVidia has great offerings it appears to be yesterday's technology in the current eyes of Apple.

That said.... considering Apple's current financial coffers, the quality of their video card drivers offers far less performance than their Windows equivalents...

Hi 99% guys and 1% girls,

well It seems that the new Mac Pro is all about OpenCl and video processing.
I think we have now a good idea of what can be expected according to many specific type of applications (video, photography, programming, gaming, etc.).
I'm primarily interested by its potential for 3D rendering, using OpenGl framework such as OpenSceneGraph.

http://www.openscenegraph.org

It's a fantastic and very powerful library, I've already spent a lot of time with and obviously expect to pursue further intensive developments.

Any feedback how the nMp graphical cards (D300 / D500 /D700) compete against let's say a NVIDIA Quadro K5000 to render large 3D tessellation or volume rendering (medical imaging , Computed tomography scans, etc.)?

Many thanks, it would help me to order or not a specific configuration of the mac pro 2013.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007

Why are you comparing the Dx00 cards to K5000? You won't be able to choose the K5000 if you're planning to buy the nMP :confused:

Hmm, to compete against the K5000, you'll most likely need to look at D700 results. The Dx00 strength is in OpenCL and not OpenGL, so if your app (very few) makes use of OpenCL, then you'll see a significant boost, however in OpenGL, it would probably do ok, but don't expect anything amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.