Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kramden88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
NJ, USA
As a teacher, I keep lesson plan materials according to the number of the school day. So I'll have 85a, 85b, 85c, 86a, 86b, etc. Suppose I need to shift everything by x numbers so I drop something new in (so everything 85 and after add five = 90a, 90b, 90c, etc.). What's the best way to do this? I can't figure out an easy Automator workflow, I don't know Apple Script, and Name Mangler doesn't handle giving multiple files the same index (I can't figure out their naming script). Any ideas?

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
You can probably accomplish this with Namechanger. Simple, donateware and super powerful tool:

http://www.mrrsoftware.com/MRRSoftware/NameChanger.html

First I'd press options and check 'hide extension' so you don't erase it, then select 'sequence' from dropdown, where you can start counting from a certain number = maybe you need to remove the first two digits.. then do another sequence? or if you can figure out the regEx for taking the input number and adding to it, it should be able to do that too.

Since you are also already at 85, I'd recommend using it to switch to 3 digit numbering [001, 085, 125], that way things for sure stay in order when listing them by name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.