Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Sounds nice to have infrastructure. My concern is:
How will they prevent "malicious" iBeacons diverting people to scams and phishing schemes?

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Sounds nice to have infrastructure. My concern is:
How will they prevent "malicious" iBeacons diverting people to scams and phishing schemes?

Haha now thats a thought. Or you could just screw up the whole "iBeacon topology" with iBheakons. I wonder what kinds of inherent security this technology has.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I've been using the Express, but last season a lot of other people starting using it too and now it takes forever. :( We've seriously considered finding an apartment near Elysian park just to be able to walk there.

We own a share (9 regular season games) which is about enough considering we live over an hour away. The club has purchased the reserve parking for the last few seasons, which is worth the extra couple of bucks per game. In related news, I just read this in the LA Times this morning:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodge...olders-20140130,0,1203737.story#axzz2rzf6pNv6

No pre-printed tickets for season ticket holders. I think it's going to be a mess.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
So, in order for iBeacons to work, Bluetooth needs to be turned on, but most people don't usually have their Bluetooth on all the time.

Wait, what? According to whom? I've never turned Bluetooth off.

Does anyone know how MLB or the MLB application suggests that people turn on their Bluetooth?

iBeacons is great, but useless if you don't have Bluetooth on...

I'm sorry, but is this what the world has come to? "I turned my Bluetooth off and need to know who's responsible for reminding me to turn it back on."

How do you remember the keys to your home? To check the gas gauge on your car? How do you remember to go to work at the right time?

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
"loyalty and rewards programs" is the most interesting part for me. In the provided picture it knows that it is your first time at the stadium and offers a coupon. I use foursquare but sometimes forget to open it and never aware of any deals where I am. If this setup would auto detect and send a push notification then that would be nice.

At the Orioles' stadium, the check in feature is linked to Four Square. Check in through their app and you're also checking into Four Square (or Twitter or FB).

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
What might be cool is if the system could notify you that there are a couple if unused seat tickets closer to the action and offer you the chance to upgrade. Move from the nosebleed section to court side.

----------

I'm sorry, but is this what the world has come to? "I turned my Bluetooth off and need to know who's responsible for reminding me to turn it back on."

How do you remember the keys to your home? To check the gas gauge on your car? How do you remember to go to work at the right time?

I turn mine off sometimes to conserve battery, but think it is within my meager capabilities to switch it on if need be.

millerlite

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007

I don't think you're being fair at all. I usually have bluetooth off because I don't use a headset nor have a car that uses it. I don't want it on so I can extend my battery life. I think he just wants a little pop up window to tell you to turn on your bluetooth when you're at the park. I don't think it's unreasonable, nor worthy of your kind of sarcasm.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
There are no applications written for Android to take advantage of iBeacons.
So while BLE itself is not proprietary, iBeacon is.

It's not proprietary because anyone is free to write an application for it for Android. I highly doubt the MLB app will be iPhone only.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I don't think you're being fair at all.

What was unfair about my response?

I usually have bluetooth off because I don't use a headset nor have a car that uses it. I don't want it on so I can extend my battery life. I think he just wants a little pop up window to tell you to turn on your bluetooth when you're at the park.

But you're essentially describing an infinite loop. You turn off BT because you don't use it, but you want something to tell you to turn it on in case you want to use it. How does that make any sense? The iBeacon system uses BT to provide the service--why would you expect it to work if you've manually turned your BT off?

That is, by turning BT off manually, you've already told the device that you're not interested in using BT. I can't imagine how infuriating it would be to have a window pop up to tell me to turn on BT every time I passed by a BT device.

I don't think you guys are actually thinking about what you're asking for here. To do what you want, you'd have to do one of the following: A) BT could never really be turned off because it needs to be able to accept a request to display a reminder message on your screen, or B) you'd actually have to add an entirely different wireless service to the iBeacon protocol to send a request to display a reminder message, which seems like it would double the level of complication for the service.

I don't think it's unreasonable, nor worthy of your kind of sarcasm.

I'm 100% serious. What part did you think was sarcastic? How is remembering to turn your BT on any different than remembering to do virtually anything else in life? You're asking for a feature that's so advanced that it knows before you do that you want to use it.

Anyway, it's totally unreasonable and starts smartphones down the road of just displaying reminder messages all day long about things that you MIGHT POSSIBLY want to do, which defeats the purpose of the device altogether.

----------

I turn mine off sometimes to conserve battery, but think it is within my meager capabilities to switch it on if need be.

Sure, that's the reasonable solution for me as well. Expecting the device to tell you to do something ("turn on your BT") after you've specifically told it you don't want to do something (you turned BT off) seems antithetical to having a smartphone at all.

It's exactly the same as turning your car radio off but expecting it to automatically turn on if a station happens to be playing a song you like.

Hell, it would make more sense to be able to turn off all BT connections but those from 4.0 devices, but that's not the argument that was presented.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I'm assuming Turner Field isn't part of this. First, I don't think we can use Passbook for tickets yet. Second, it's a decrepit EIGHTEEN-YEAR-OLD stadium that we just had to replace, so I'm not sure if all the rotting infrastructure of such an old ballpark can handle any more technology.

csthom

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
you'd actually have to add an entirely different wireless service to the iBeacon protocol to send a request to display a reminder message

Or have At The Ballpark suggest you turn on bluetooth when you start the app, like the Apple Store app does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.