Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I have a debit card for 3 years now and have never encountered any issues purchasing with it. A few days ago I tried placing an order on Amazon but my card got declined. I usually get an SMS every time I withdraw or make a deposit. When my card got declined I got an SMS that says "Purchase request for *total amount* at AMAZON MKTPLACE has NOT been authorized from card XXXX".

I contacted Amazon, they said that my bank is rejecting their attempt to charge my card. I called the bank's main call centre and they said that my card appears to be blocked and that I have to go to the branch I opened my card with to know why as it could be there are some missing documents. So I went the next day, I talked to a customer care rep. about the issue, he checked the system and showed me that there's nothing wrong with my card and that it's active and working. So I went back, tried ordering again, but the issue still persists.

I called my bank, they had no idea what's wrong, they said it could be that the site you're trying to order from does not accept debit cards. Obviously this isn't the reason. I've ordered from Amazon and many other sites with this exact debit card numerous times and have never experienced this problem. I don't know what to do. I also tried ordering from Apple (not the first time) but the payment doesn't go through. My last successful purchase was last Saturday. Any idea what could be causing this?

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
Sounds like a bank issue. I would just tell them to issue a new card and see if that works.

A temporary solution would be to buy an Amazon gift card at your grocery store. Or another option (one I really don't care for) is to pay using your bank account. You can add that option in your amazon account.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Debit Card Issue

Obvious question, but is the card expired?

No, my card expires in 2018.

the purchase might be higher than your daily limit.

It's only $93. I've used the card to purchase stuff for a much higher amount.

Is your account on some sort of fraud alert?

I don't think so. Neither Amazon nor the bank said that. He showed me the computer monitor and pointed at the status of my card which said 'Active'.

Call the bank, tell them if they don't fix this within a day, you will close the account and go to another bank. If they don't fix this, go to another bank.

And that's precisely what I said. I was so angry, I told them that if the issue does not get resolved, I'll be opening an account in another bank. I filed a complaint. They told me to give them 48 hours. And believe it or not, this bank is considered the best bank in the region, it's an award winning bank winning a variety of awards and accolades in various categories. With this kind of service I'm surprised. All of my family have accounts there, I expected better service from them, and I made sure to tell them that.

Sounds like a bank issue. I would just tell them to issue a new card and see if that works.

A temporary solution would be to buy an Amazon gift card at your grocery store. Or another option (one I really don't care for) is to pay using your bank account. You can add that option in your amazon account.

But the card is only a few months old. I had to make another one because my old debit card got hacked. Apparently it was used by a man living in the UK to purchase airline tickets. I have no idea how he was able to get my card information. Did I mention that this bank is ranked one of the World’s 50 Safest Banks by Global Finance magazine?

I've lost interest in what I wanted on Amazon. I'm more concerned about the debit card now.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I once used a site where I'd make a monthly payment. I could not use my debit card on it because the site said my bank required me to use a PIN for all debit card transactions. According to my bank that wasn't accurate and the real issue was with the site.

Incidentally, is this debit card attached to your main account? It's just my opinion but if it is you're taking a bad risk. I have a debit card attached to a designated account for online purchases. I track the balance and only move enough money into that account to cover the purchase.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
I never use my debit card to buy online as it is attached to my checking account. If someone gets my credit card number and makes fraudulent purchases, my bank account is not impacted in any way. Here's a good article on debit card use.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/10-places-not-to-use-debit-card-1271.php

That's nothing but paranoia inducing propaganda by self-interested creditcard companies encouraging people to spend money they they don't have so they can earn interest off them. Debt is NEVER a better idea than saving and living within your means no matter what claims banks and credit/loan companies make to snare more customers.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I once used a site where I'd make a monthly payment. I could not use my debit card on it because the site said my bank required me to use a PIN for all debit card transactions. According to my bank that wasn't accurate and the real issue was with the site.

There are some sites that require a OTP for transactions. The One time-password gets delivered through SMS. Even when I enter the PIN, my card gets declined.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
That's nothing but paranoia inducing propaganda by self-interested creditcard companies encouraging people to spend money they they don't have so they can earn interest off them. Debt is NEVER a better idea than saving and living within your means no matter what claims banks and credit/loan companies make to snare more customers.

I use credit cards for everything and have never paid a dime in interest or fees. Just because you use a credit card, doesn't mean you have to use it irresponsibly.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Doesn't mean you NEED one though does it?

Well no, I don't need one, but thanks to cash back rewards, they pay me to use it. Plus there's automatic rental car coverage and extended warranties and other benefits of using one. And of course, the extra security of it not being tied to my bank account, that's why I really didn't care that my credit card was part of the Target data breach. If it's used by the hackers, I'm not liable for any charges and my checking account won't be wiped out.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Is the card already saved in Amazon as a saved card and you're just trying to use it that way? Maybe the card saved has the previous expiration date and 3 digit security code.

I don't think it's the issue, but something you could check fairly easy.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I never use my debit card to buy online as it is attached to my checking account. If someone gets my credit card number and makes fraudulent purchases, my bank account is not impacted in any way. Here's a good article on debit card use.

Quoted for truth. Best practice says to use a credit card for online purchases to protect the bank account associated with the debit card.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Quoted for truth. Best practice says to use a credit card for online purchases to protect the bank account associated with the debit card.

I use one credit card strictly for online purchases and one for store purchases. Seems silly not to take advantage of the cash back and other credit card benefits as I pay my balance in full every month. I only use my debit card to get cash from the ATM. Why would I use it to buy anything since it offers no benefits?

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Is the card already saved in Amazon as a saved card and you're just trying to use it that way? Maybe the card saved has the previous expiration date and 3 digit security code.

I don't think it's the issue, but something you could check fairly easy.

No it's new the one.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Debit Card Issue

Well at this point I think I would request a new card. Tell the bank you think your debit card might be compromised and you want this one shut off and issued a new card.

They said they'll contact me over the next 2 days. Today is a public holiday so the bank is closed. I'll be interested to hear what they've got to say.

Sounds like Wells Fargo to me ;)

I dumped them myself

Why I Dumped Wells Fargo

Nope. Never heard of Wells Fargo. I don't live in the US. I live nowhere near the US ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I've used Wells Fargo ever since I moved to Colorado in 2005 and never had a problem with them. Of course, I've never tried to purchase over $1,500 on my debit card in a day before.;)

It was a nightmare and so glad I dumped them
I have heard so many other stories since then
Very happy now with the Delta Credit Union :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.