Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Speak for yourself. For me, the 17" PowerBook/MacBook Pro had the perfect size. I found it an idiotic decision on Apple's part to drop the high-end models.

Absolutely agreed. They've also lost me as a customer - if they don't reintroduce the 17" line (with a 4K screen, obviously), I'm off to purchase a similarly-specced, high-end, 17"+ PC laptop or tablet capable of running OSx86.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
When it comes to Apple rumours, I trust Analysts about as much as used car salesman! ....... Actually I trust used car salesman more!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Once again we have another bloated out article saying an analyst thinks something. No proof to back up any claims, of course not that would make it news and not sensationalism to get yourself some notoriety.

I really wish the rumor sites would quit posting these kind of stories. Supply chain guesses aren't rumors. What 9to5Mac reported on the Apple TV is a rumor and can be considered newsworthy. This isn't either of those.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Same comments were said before the mini launched. Stupid, no one would use it, blah blah blah.

It will sell, plenty of people don't mind a 2lb tablet as they use them at home as the second screen while watching TV, or even use it as a primary viewing device. I'm on the fence about it as I love my iPad Air, but having used the mini it is a freaking cool device that is so light it's nice for portability but when I use my Air I like the larger screen size and most of my usage is at work or home and not walking around all day with it.

The other avenue I see a larger iPad being used is for POS systems, cash registers are already becoming iPads hooked up to a CC reader. Something larger just gives companies more screen real estate to have various buttons that make checking someone out that much faster. Definitely see a use case for a larger screen.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
Same comments were said before the mini launched. Stupid, no one would use it, blah blah blah.
Except that other 7" tablets were already in the market and quite popular.
Now we've seen how many people are asking for a bigger tablet : a few.
Afaik, the current 12" tablets don't sell that well.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
A 12" iPad could probably done at around 2 lbs, which wouldn't be that much more than the iPad 1 and still lighter than a MacBook.

In the normal usage mode of holding the iPad by one edge in one hand and operating it with the other - that means that not only is it 1lb heavier, but the centre of gravity is further from your hand, so there's more torque on your hand. So, twice the weight of the current iPad, with your hand at a greater 'mechanical disadvantage'. Not good.

Comparison with the weight of a Macbook is irrelevant - you don't hold or support the Macbook in one hand - you rest it on your lap (if you are immune to heat-rash) or, more often than not, put it on a desk.

I didn't buy an iPad because it was lighter than a MacBook. I bought it because I prefer the direct manipulation aspect that multi-touch screen devices bring, along with the simplified "no-hassle" philosophy of iOS. So of course, like many others, would like to have more of it by the means of a bigger screen size.

So do you always use it sitting at a desk, with the iPad on a stand? That's likely to be the only comfortable way of using a giant iPad. Maybe there *is* a market for that, but its not necessarily the same as the current iPad market, which shows every sign of preferring the Mini to the regular iPad.

Why did they offer a 17" MacBook?

Because laptops are not tablets. Nor, apart from maybe Airs and 13" MBPs, do they spend much time on peoples laps other than as a last resort - and even then, you don't need to support them with one hand. Because a large segment of the laptop market is for 'desktop replacements' who's need for mobility is limited to commuting between home and work and will spend most of their life on one desk or another.

I like my MBP 17" but it rarely gets carried further than from the desk to the car - i'd use a 13" MB or an iPad 'on the road'. In fact, it was bought on the assumption that it would only move a couple of times a year - it's only commuting because my work-provided 13" is getting a bit old.

I have actually seen people using 17" MBPs on a plane once or twice - typically, they were writing code or websites and really needed the screen real estate. They were also disgustingly young and thin (I don't think my MBP 17" would fit between me and the seat in front in Cattle Class) so they'd probably have annoying better-than-20:20 vision and (these days) happily use a rMBP in scaled mode.

...that said, as others have pointed out, Apple dropped the 17", presumably through lack of demand, and as soon as you can get a 13" rMBP with a 1TB SSD for less than an arm and a leg, I'll probably switch too.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
There will never be a 13" iPad. It's such a preposterous product to even consider.
A larger iPhone? Sure absolutely. Smaller iPad? obviously a great idea. But larger iPad? Who but a niche market would this product be aimed at. Even dwindling iPod users would have a larger market.

The laptops have eaten away at the desktop market share and the tablets have eaten away at the laptop market share. I could see a larger iPad replacing the Mac Air. However, a few things would have to be done IMO to make this a viable option. A keyboard cover, ability to run multiple windows, and the final product must be lighter and slightly less expensive than the Mac Air. If you do these three things in conjunction with a large iPad, I could see a segment of the market buying the tablet instead of a laptop. Others have thrown in better pointing devices so that it could also work for handwritten note taking or true designing. I guess we will need to wait and see what Apple actually does. But to state preposterous is maybe.... overstated.

Alighieri

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
Musicians want this!

Musicians like me who have already left paper behind would love this size. Average music is 8 1/2 x 11 and larger, and tough on the eyes with the standard iPad. I've been hoping for a while that this rumor is true.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I'm certainly skeptical about an "imminent " launch.

Christ alive, the original rumour has been proven? A larger iPad is on the way? Only then can be start into the timeframe rumours.

MacRumours, stop posting anything you can find.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
There are 3 possibilities:

1) Large iPad. Just a large iPad, nothing more.

2) Retina MacBook Air.

3) MacPad--a MacBook Air in iPad Air form.

The last one would be enthusing. I never liked the laptop format of computers. If Apple chops off the case and throws out the keyboard and ports, and they further crunch the boards, the MacPad becomes a 1.5lb. pad with full OSX.

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I am on the fence about a 12.9 inch iPad. I feel the only advantage to a 12.9 inch iPad is for a laptop/tablet hybrid. The 9.7 inch iPad I think is PERFECT for what it is. the iPad is not meant to be a workhorse. It surfs the web, checks emails, and dabbles a little bit in content creation. You can do all those things with or without a keyboard.

Having a 12.9 inch iPad would make it easier to do "content creation" stuff and make the iPad more usable in that respect, but I think with the added weight and bulkiness, people will end up using it more like a touchscreen laptop. Everyone will buy a Bluetooth keyboard for it and treat it like one of those windows 8 tablet/laptop hybrids. I also think it would cut heavily into Macbook Air sales. The 11 inch Macbook air would become obsolete overnight in my opinion and the 13 inch would definitely see significant cannibalization. If the 12.9 inch iPad is suppose to replace the Macbook air, I could somewhat see that, but with Apple's stance on touchscreen laptops/desktops I do not see that happening.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Who is this product aimed at?

Pro users (better off using MacBook Pro if they are doing serious work)
Regular users (they will use iPad or iPad mini)

*Sigh*

"Pro Users". "Serious work". Why does everyone like to oversimplify everything and put it in a box?

People are using the iPad for "serious work". They are getting paid for it. Hence, "Pros" are using iPads. Perhaps you mean "computing intensive tasks" as the only instance of "serious work"?

Who is this product aimed at? Anyone who likes or can benefit from a bigger screen, more typing real-estate, the iPad app ecosystem, and does not require the high-powered laptop to do autocad or whatever. Musicians would definitely be all over it.

Something like this:

5675_propellerhead_rebirth_ipad_photo_lg.jpg

or this:

293961-get-organized-productivity-on-the-ipad.jpg

or this:

splash-hero.jpg

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
iOS supporting some desktop apps like Xcode, Terminal and Finder would be nice. Could be a iOS Pro version just like there is an OSX Server version.

Why would Apple support Xcode development on a iOS device? They want developers to purchase a Mac (in addition to iOS devices) for writing software.

It wouldn't make sense for Apple to pay their software engineers to write software (for Xcode on iOS systems) that would then sell fewer Mac notebook and desktop computers.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I gather none of you are creatives. The pro size is a no-brainer. Especially if there is a full touch version of PS etc.

The last thing I want to be doing is have look 'through my hand' to guess what the tip of my finger is doing when I need to produce pixel perfect work. Photoshop is only ever going to be a mouse/stylus input thing.

Renzatic

Suspended
Why would Apple support Xcode development on a iOS device? They want developers to purchase a Mac (in addition to iOS devices) for writing software.

It wouldn't make sense for Apple to pay their software engineers to write software (for Xcode on iOS systems) that would then sell fewer Mac notebook and desktop computers.

They'd sell slightly few Macs, but more iPads. It'd be a transition between products in their own line up, so they'd still be making money regardless.

----------

The last thing I want to be doing is have look 'through my hand' to guess what the tip of my finger is doing when I need to produce pixel perfect work. Photoshop is only ever going to be a mouse/stylus input thing.

I agree with you that using Photoshop with just your fingers would be all kinds of terrible suck, but a big iPad with stylus support would make for an excellent Photoshop-on-the-go machine.

edit: imagine a lighter, thinner version of this...

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
How much bigger than the iPad 2 would it be if it had iPad air sized side bezels though? My guess would be only slightly and the iPad 2 isn't awkward

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Im skeptical about any such launch at any time. Sure I bet Apple tested that size but that doesn't equal them doing it. They may have rejected it for the same reasons the reviewers didn't like the Samsung of that size

roasted

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Our college has successfully deployed iPads among various staff members. The main advantage is their greater portability over standard laptops. The iPads offer most of the functionality the staff members need. So would "professionals" really need the slightly bigger real estate a bigger iPad would offer? I think it would be a niche market, like the Mac Pro.

Also, given the fact that the iPad Mini is selling like hotcakes, perhaps bigger truly isn't better for Apple.

I can see the advantage in a tablet device versus a laptop in terms of mobility, but when it comes to doing most types of work, a tablet still falls rather short on the ergonomic scale (yes, even with a keyboard attachment). Don't get me wrong, I love my tablet and I have lots of uses for it, but seeing the number of users who aren't email/facebook checkers that bought a tablet as a "primary device", only to later buy a laptop anyway, is quite telling in itself.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I teach at university. Last year I started using the iPad with the app Explain Everything to i) interactively draw diagrams and ii) screencast the lecture. Often, I felt the iPad screen was too small (combined with the large rubber tip of my bamboo stylus). I would certainly try a larger iPad and/or a finer stylus.

But do you really need a bigger screen, or just one that writes better. If you could work with a smaller tip stylus and a screen that picks up a smaller tip with fluid writing, might that be enough. And the latter would be something that could benefit all users not just Pros.

----------

Since you seem to be all knowing about Apple's "DNA", remember the keynote where Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad, sat down in a comfy chair, crossed his legs and demonstrated typical usage of the iPad on stage?

At that point they had no idea that folks would want to carry it around everywhere all the time. They learned real fast how wrong they were and the very next iPad had a major shape adjustment.

Not unlike their oops in thinking web apps would be fine for the iPhone and they didn't need an SDK etc.

----------

Even if they did make a bigger iPad, Apple would squander it by having the phone UI scaled up once again.

I'll give you on that. I wish they would fine tune the UI to work with the iPad better. Like why can't we zoom in icons for the visually impaired. Why aren't there more than 9 icons in a 'box' etc

And I think you are wrong about a MacBook Air with Retina. I don't think the airs will ever get that. See I think they are moving to the Air being essentially the MacBook and the Retina line will be THE MacBook Pro. But with that in mind might there be a MBPR at an 11 inch size, sure there might be.

Or this could be a leak of something tested that was rejected and will never happen.

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Perhaps as a point of sale device in shops?

Finally... someone mentioned it.

This isn't a "Pro" device in the "production" sense.

It is a "Pro" device in the "profession" sense.

Displaying larger documents or graphics, plans, charts, etc at a reasonable size, instead of paper, with the option of mirroring to an enabled projector.

Kiosk duty.

Point of sale duty.

Other specific-role duties.

Smaller iPads are personal multi-use devices, that many are adapting to professional, educational, or other specific-role uses, some replacing old-tech like cash registers or multi-component kiosk computers, some are completely new roles that computers didn't do before, and move towards paperless uses.

Whether a 12-13" iPad would be for portable use, or affixed in a specific location, it isn't likely as targeted at personal hand-held longer-term uses as the 9" iPad air, or the more mobile iPad Mini Retina.

A 13" screen is also an easier display to not get as close to, or showing to other people whose eyes aren't within 36" of the screen.

Don't think of it as a bigger, heavier iPad Air alternative for your personal use... think of it as an alternative to iPad Air for other use roles and collaboration, rather than personal use.

Whether laying flat on a surface, in a standing case, or on a device mount... weight might not be that much of an issue, in terms of holding it for long periods while using it... and even if it is 2 lbs., that is lighter than most pro laptops to carry in a bag from point to point, just for presentations and collaboration. Even with a bluetooth apple keyboard, it still may come in at an acceptable carry-weight.

And for some of the other criticisms in terms of iOS usability... there is nothing to suggest that an iOS update won't have usability upgrades and new features to go with the expanding real-world implications of a device like this. Just because iOS has been a certain way, doesn't mean that it won't expand, as processing power on these new devices exceeds previous generations.

Condemning a new hardware paradigm variation due to current and past software limitations is short-sighted.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.