Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andertrack

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
displaylink

My displaylink USB3 to DVI adapter is still disabled (no output to monitor) even though it shows up in system_profiler:

USB32DVIPRO:

Product ID: 0x4300
Vendor ID: 0x17e9 (DisplayLink (UK) Ltd.)
Version: 2.36
Serial Number: 000100110009672
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/sec
Manufacturer: DisplayLink
Location ID: 0x15200000 / 8
Current Available (mA): 900
Current Required (mA): 126

Last edited:

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
What is reasonable scaling ? It's a 4K display. If you want lower resolution don't get a 4K display.

Scaling is not reducing resolution.
Scaling is keeping high resolution and just making UI larger (which is perfectly fine and reasonable).

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Scaling is not reducing resolution.
Scaling is keeping high resolution and just making UI larger (which is perfectly fine and reasonable).

IMHO a major weak point in OS X (compared to Microsoft Windows) is the lack of scaling, period. I don't feel that the doubling it does for Retina Displays counts, although it would certainly be useful for a 4K display.

Mauro371

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
ExpressCard problem fixed?

Can someone confirm that 0sx 10.9.2 resolves the problem where MacBook Pros with ExpressCard slots were having problem recognizing the cards inserted? I have a MacBook Pro 17" late 2011 and cards that worked on osx 10.8 are not being recognized in osx mavericks 10.9 or 10.9.1

Thanks.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Has anyone checked whether 10.9.2 exposes any new OpenGL extensions / functionality?

If you download the OpenGL Extensions Viewer and go to the "OpenGL", "Extensions", or "Report" tabs, you can see a list of what your system supports.

For reference, here is what's displayed in Mac OS 10.9.1 on my system:

I have a late 2013 MBP 15" Retina. 4.3 is unsupported, 4.4 is unsupported. Nothing newer than 4.4

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Any news on graphic driver updates? Particularly for the 700m series Nvidia GPUs?

Any and all increased performance is always welcomed! :D

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
That's the theoretical hardware support. It does not mean that OS X 10.9.0-10.9.2 is the best OS for 4K displays.

That would suck for the new Mac Pro owners who have received their systems and are using available 4K Sharp and Dell displays

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
Any news on graphic driver updates? Particularly for the 700m series Nvidia GPUs?

Any and all increased performance is always welcomed! :D

Focus is on Integrated Graphics with 10.9.2 (as is all of Mavericks). Nothing has changed for Nvidia/AMD graphics cards.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Quartz Debug comes with Xcode and will allow you to enable HDPI mode on a non retina display. Check it out.

Actually iirc you have to download it manually now. (In Xcode) File->applications->more applications (something like that) should bring you to the developer website to login. Should be at the top of the page with a name something like "Graphics Developer Pack [month year]". It comes with a dozen or so apps, one of them is Quartz Debug.

Be sure to grab the newest one for your system.

----------

Random spinning beach ball problem fixed?

I would say this is a really vague question, but this problem has been more confusing for me than anything.

1. Spinning beach ball out of nowhere.
  2. System isn't slowed down and nothing is frozen.
  3. Clicking/moving mouse stops it.
  4. No repercussions happen, no logs made.

Oddest behavior of Mavericks so far.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for your sources. Very convincing. ;)

The bloke I quoted provided a screenshot from Apple's website claiming that they support multiple monitors of the kind that a previous poster claimed they didn't. Check the site yourself if you want mate (or buy a Mac Pro and 3 4K monitors from their site and report back if youdon't believe it.)

Oh sorry, you require a peer reviewed journal as well? I forgot. Oh wait, this is the internet!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Random spinning beach ball problem fixed?

I would say this is a really vague question, but this problem has been more confusing for me than anything.

I too had lots of beach balls, but an SSD fixed this, no more beach balls, seems to me Mavericks is optimized for SSD.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I too had lots of beach balls, but an SSD fixed this, no more beach balls, seems to me Mavericks is optimized for SSD.

I have an SSD as well (base Late 2012 Mac Mini with 16 GB of RAM, runs over SATA 6 Gbps—huge step up from rev A MBA btw). It doesn't have anything to do with slowdowns and it is new since at least the second Mavericks Beta and newer (first 10.9 I tried). Before that I ran 10.8 and it never happened. No slowdowns associated with it, just a bug with which cursor is displayed or graphics memory clearing problems or something.

I don't really know much about exactly how the cursors are displayed/hardware acceleration so I can't tell you much more. If I could reproduce it (doesn't happen very often) I could do some experimenting, but ah well.

Not a problem...or even anything I can call an "issue", just slightly confusing.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
We tried 10.9.1 on our Mac Pro server for exactly the same reasons posted by Makosuke, but alas, with the SMB bug so prominent, we rolled back to 10.8.
I'm glad 10.8's SMBX is working for you. We had our 10.6 mini die abruptly and the replacement shipped with 10.8, which from the get-go had a bug (known, but not as common as the crasher in 10.9) that caused Acrobat to flake out when reading directly from the server on some percentage of our Win7 clients. There is apparently an arcane registry workaround, but I had given up and scabbed in Samba in desperation.

10.9, to its credit, is a significant improvement apart from this somewhat egregious crasher.

Apple should release 10.9.2 sooner for that bug alone. The crashes are awful, and unacceptable to wait 3 months for a patch.
I'd agree that the bug is so severe that they really should have released a patch for it, specifically (pushing up 10.9.2 given everything else in it would be asking too much), even if the patch were something as simple as watching for when the process hung, then killing and restarting it quickly as a stopgap. Or restarting it automatically every X hours, since it seems to run reliably for a while.

That would have at least substantially reduced the pain for people who were running it until a full fix was shipped.

I can appreciate that rolling your own SMB server is probably very challenging, but once you've committed to that, you're kind of obligated to actually do it right if you're going to do it at all.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
And here we go again, praying for a 4K 60Hz Thunderbolt update.

Below written by DannyWoods, from the Apple support page:

Yes the Mac Pro supports those monitors at 4K 60Hz but the MacBook Retina (2013 - TB2 - the product in question here) supports NO 4K monitors at 60Hz, UNLESS you're in Windows 8.1. In Windows there is no driver issue with any 4K displays at 60Hz. That's part of the argument.... Why would Apple force users that want a full 4K experience to do so using a different, let alone Microsoft's, OS on their own systems!

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24696966?ac_cid=tw123456#24696966

So if we don't get an update, we can always use Windows 8? ...gosh, I can't believe I said that...makes me want to vomit.

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

Exactly. And the funny thing is that if you don't happen to move the mouse at the point when the beach ball comes up you can see that it's actually not spinning. :) Even switching between apps won't get rid of it. Only moving the cursor will (which of course one often does when using the computer so it goes away directly).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2096906/Movies/stuck_beachball.mov

But it also seems it won't appear (at least not often) if the mouse isn't moved. The whole thing feels a bit odd anyhow.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
That's a bad idea. Three finger drag allows you to move things. If you swiped with three fingers over the finder window, you would risk moving files by mistake.

Unless you could turn that off.

That being said "oh, that's what that button does". I'll have to play with three finger drag later.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Exactly. And the funny thing is that if you don't happen to move the mouse at the point when the beach ball comes up you can see that it's actually not spinning. :) Even switching between apps won't get rid of it. Only moving the cursor will (which of course one often does when using the computer so it goes away directly).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2096906/Movies/stuck_beachball.mov

But it also seems it won't appear (at least not often) if the mouse isn't moved. The whole thing feels a bit odd anyhow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've noticed this a few times. It's not really that annoying since it's rare and doesn't break anything, but it'd be nice for it to be fixed. :)

cw75

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
Texas
Will This Fix The Slow Finder Response?

My biggest complaint is how when you open a window in the Finder it takes anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds for files to show up. The same thing happens frequently in Apple Mail when you go to attach a file. Any fix for this major annoyance with this upcoming build?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.