Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Hey there,

got a new Macbook Pro with a faulty battery and they'll just replace the whole Macbook with a new one.

What's the easiest way to just clone the harddrive of the faulty one to the new one (I'll have both at home to do this)

thanks a bunch

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What's the easiest way to just clone the harddrive of the faulty one to the new one (I'll have both at home to do this)

Just attach an external disk and turn on Time Machine and let it do a full backup. Then when you get the new machine, attach the TM disk and option key boot to it then click restore. Done.

docbot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I don't have an empty 1 TB external drive laying around. I'd rather just connect the two somehow with usb and copy/clone the filestructure directly from one mac to the other.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't have an empty 1 TB external drive laying around. I'd rather just connect the two somehow with usb and copy/clone the filestructure directly from one mac to the other.

Without an external drive, the easiest is just to use the included Migration Assistant to move your data from one machine to the other.

USB cannot be used like that to directly connect one Mac to another. You can use a Thunderbolt cable or ethernet cable if both machines support that. Or you can just do it over wifi on both machines, but if you have a lot of data, then can take awhile to complete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.