Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Protestors Rally Against 'Candy Crush Saga' Developer with Deluge of Candy-Themed Games

King, the developer behind mega-hit Candy Crush Saga, was recently awarded a UK trademark on the term "candy" for use in video games and is awaiting approval on a similar trademark in the United States. With Apple in some cases assisting King in targeting apps with "candy" in their names, developers unhappy with King's IP strategy have responded with a protest that is seeking to flood the iOS App Store with candy-themed games, according to reports from Pocket-lint and Slate.

Organized by the Candy Jam website, the group exhorts game developers to "fight trademark trolling" by making a candy-themed game between now and February 3. The game-making jam is meant to protest the trademark system and King's aggressive business tactics, and developers have already submitted more than 100 apps with different combinations of the words "candy," "saga," "scroll," "apple" and more.

King CEO and co-founder Riccardo Zacconi says the company is "not trying to control the world's use of the word candy," clarifying that King will only use the trademark "to prevent others from creating games that unfairly capitalise on our success." Zacconi also defends his company against allegations that it released a game, Pac-Avoid, that cloned an existing game from developer Stolen Goose. Zacconi explains the company "should never have published Pac-Avoid" and has apologetically pulled it from its website.

Article Link: Protestors Rally Against 'Candy Crush Saga' Developer with Deluge of Candy-Themed Games
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Bensalama21
macrumors regular

The trademark system is simply delusional.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:11 AM   #3
underkuerbis
macrumors newbie

Sounds like some kind of Willy Wonka
underkuerbis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:12 AM   #4
OneBagTravel
macrumors regular

I'll participate in downloading the top 10 candy games to see if we can get them all listed

http://appshopper.com/bestsellers/paid
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:14 AM   #5
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I guess I'll stick with the generic Sweet Solidified Glucose Crush Saga instead.
AngerDanger is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Sour Grapes ?
Plutonius is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:14 AM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
By protesting it, don't you just give it undo attention and inadvertently cause more downloads? All press is good press?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:16 AM   #8
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Well they tried to sue the makers of The Banner Saga, for use of the word 'saga', so you know they're being completely honest.
CJM is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:17 AM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Reminds me of the fight for ownership of "Edge".

Starting a new venture must be such a minefield now, between the threat of copyright and patent infringement.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:17 AM   #10
charlituna
macrumors G3

The trouble with his comments is that there are games with candy in the title that predate him. His trademark would basically make it illegal for those games to have a digital version because he controls Candy used with video games. So say 'candyland' now legally can't go digital without changing their name or some how successfully arguing that candy and candyland are not at all the same

I get his intent to keep folks from cloning his game or using similar names to confuse folks but how it was done was not correct or cool and I can't believe the UK allowed it. I hope the US doesn't or if they do someone immediately sues.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:17 AM   #11
Unggoy Murderer
macrumors 6502

Of all games out there, Candy Crush is the one I hate the most. I even hate the people who play it. And I REALLY hate the people who play it on my train home from work with their sound at 100%.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:17 AM   #12
iHEARTcartoons
macrumors regular

Just call your new app "Wachamacallit" and your set.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:18 AM   #13
roboclint
macrumors newbie

'King CEO and co-founder Riccardo Zacconi says the company is "not trying to control the world's use of the word candy," clarifying that King will only use the trademark "to prevent others from creating games that unfairly capitalise on our success."'

Like Bejeweled?
roboclint is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:19 AM   #14
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
By protesting it, don't you just give it undo attention and inadvertently cause more downloads? All press is good press?
It's a pretty well known game as it stands; I don't think they really need much more publicity. I do think companies reach a point/size where "any publicity is good publicity" is no longer strictly true, and they need to keep a positive public facade.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:27 AM   #15
the-oz-man
macrumors 6502

People, I just want to say, can we all get along? Can we get along?

Rodney King
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Xerotech
macrumors 6502

Cloning and copying is inevitable. Everything has an era and King is trying to delay their destruction. Candy Crush's hype will eventually die down.
If Apple is fine with all the other clones, such as Temple Run's many variations, they shouldn't be protecting King. All CC is, is Bejeweled with candy instead of gems.
Xerotech is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:30 AM   #17
citi
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to citi Send a message via MSN to citi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHEARTcartoons View Post
Just call your new app "Wachamacallit" and your set.
That was a great candy bar!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:34 AM   #18
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

This is like Zynga trademarking "Ville"

These can trademark all they want, they're still not gonna be able to duplicate their initial success. Nobody cares about a brand when it comes to these freemium games
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:36 AM   #19
Todd B.
Banned

Protesters? More like whiny, self-righteous kids who have way too much time on their hands or terrible app makers trying to get fifteen minutes of fame by duping people into thinking their app is the real one.
Todd B. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:36 AM   #20
notjustjay
macrumors 603

New games in the App Store in 3, 2, 1...

Candy Birds
Cut the Candy
Candy Ninja
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:42 AM   #21
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Well the US gov worships corporations so they should have no trouble getting that trademarked in the US.
winston1236 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:49 AM   #22
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensalama21 View Post
The trademark system is simply delusional.
I'm sure you know a ton about it.
cmChimera is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:49 AM   #23
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerotech View Post
Cloning and copying is inevitable. Everything has an era and King is trying to delay their destruction. Candy Crush's hype will eventually die down.
If Apple is fine with all the other clones, such as Temple Run's many variations, they shouldn't be protecting King. All CC is, is Bejeweled with candy instead of gems.

So if Samsung stated your first paragraph and substituted 'Apple and Cook' for 'Candy Crush and King' would you feel the same way?.....just sayin'

Not saying you're right or wrong...but I see a lot hypocrisy on this board....
mantan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:55 AM   #24
iZac
macrumors 65816

I wasn't even aware this game or company existed until I read this news report.

However, if they are trolling the marketplace like Zynga does with the '...with friends' and as Liquorpuki pointed out the '...ville' trademarks - then more power to the candy jammers.

Last edited by iZac; Jan 31, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
iZac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:57 AM   #25
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Bewaunce and Zay-J copyrighted their kid's name 'Blu-Ivy' or something like that, oh boy, what's next?
Tiger8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion