Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Mabuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Helo,

I moved my ITunes to external storage, WD NAS. All is wroking pretty ok so far apart from a duplication issue.

However now I tried to add new music into ITunes and the files ended up on my Mac and not on the NAS. I checked the path in ITunes preferences to add all new files to the external drive (NAS) and it is still correct.

Can someone shed some light on this for me confusing issue?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Helo,

I moved my ITunes to external storage, WD NAS. All is wroking pretty ok so far apart from a duplication issue.

However now I tried to add new music into ITunes and the files ended up on my Mac and not on the NAS. I checked the path in ITunes preferences to add all new files to the external drive (NAS) and it is still correct.

Can someone shed some light on this for me confusing issue?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

Check if the 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' is checked. this way, when a file is added to iTunes, it will automatically copy to folder in path.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
In iTunes preferences / Advanced, how did you get the path to the external : by typing it, or buy using the "Change" button and browsing to the folder on the external ?

Does the path begin with : Volumes/name_of_the_externalHD/.….. ?

Dr Mabuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I think I used the Change button.

The path reads
/Volumes/Music/ITunes Media

----------

I tried again with change button and it this time proposes to use:
/Volumes/Music

I did not change it

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Looks ok…

In your iTunes Library, if you right click on a song to see the infos, what is the location of the file ?

Is it : /Volumes/Music/iTunes Media/Music/etc…..

For a movie : /Volumes/Music/iTunes Media/Movies/etc…..

I assume that "Music" is the name of your external HD, right ?

Dr Mabuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Hello,

1. The name of the NAS, the external storage, is what in the path is called: Volumes.

2. I checked a song and yes it does indeed have the same path as the one I wrote above and as you suggested in your post.

Richard

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hello,

1. The name of the NAS, the external storage, is what in the path is called: Volumes.
I don't think so : /Volumes/ is generic and shows up against the name of the external.

My iTunes Media folder is located on my external HD (not a NAS) named "DDE", thus the path is :

/Volumes/DDE/iTunes Media/Music/….

Dr Mabuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Hello,

Yes I also thought the name of my external hard drive would show up, but it does not. However when I play songs via ITunes it works just as before when I had the music on my lap top. So I am not sure that it is the path taht is the issue, but maybe it is.

In any case how can it be that my extrnal hard drive is just bypasses so to say in the path?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
If the path is : /Volumes/Music/iTunes Media/Music/etc, then the first "Music" is the name of the partition you use to host your iTunes media folder, right ?

Looks like you have partitioned your external and named a partition "Music".

This does not explain your problem, though.

I have done this many times (moving the iTunes Media folder to an external drive) without any problem, so I wonder what your problem is.

Dr Mabuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Hello :)

Well the drive is not partitioned but the folder for the ITunes folders I named, Music.

Yes it is a puzzling issue and I read so much on the net now that I do not knwo what else to read.

I was thinking of maybe getting another music player and stopp using ITunes. Only use it to buy and download new music.

----------

By the way,

In the Music folder I have three main folders and sub folders, as follows:

#recycle
iTunes
ITunes Media
Library

ITunes Media
Audiobooks
Automatic. Add to ITunes
Books
Mobile Applications
Movies
Music
Podcast

Library

This is how the folder structure looked in my my Mac and now on my NAS, I did not change anything.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
iTunes is not the problem here.

You should have moved to the NAS the iTunes Media Folder only and nothing else.
It looks like you have moved the whole Music folder which includes the iTunes folder.

Therefore, the right path is not :

/Volumes/Music/iTunes Media/Music/...

But rather :

/Volumes/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/...

If I could have a look at your computer I would understand what happens exactly, however try amending the path as indicated in iTunes Preferences / Advanced, and see if it works now.

If it does not work, I suggest you post some screenshots : Music folder on the NAS, Music folder on the Mac, Infos window of a song.

Some more thoughts, tell us if I am wrong :

You said that when you add a new song to iTunes, the file goes onto the Mac, not onto the NAS.
I think you copied your whole Music folder to the NAS, without deleting the original in the Mac.
Therefore you currently have 2 iTunes folders….
When you launch iTunes from the Dock, by default it opens the Mac's iTunes Library, not the NAS's one.
Did you launch iTunes with the Alt key depressed to navigate to the NAS's iTunes folder ?
If not, you're still using the Mac's one…
What is your goal ? Why did you move the Music folder to the NAS ?
Do you need your iTunes to be reachable from others computers than your's ?

Last edited:

Dr Mabuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Many thanks Bruno for your more than kind suggestions. :)

I will answer your questions first and then attempt to get some screen shots.

Did you launch iTunes with the Alt key depressed to navigate to the NAS's iTunes folder ?
No, sorry...

What is your goal ?
Primary goal is to ensure that I can use my streaming device from Bluesound and secondly free a lot of space on my lap top.

Why did you move the Music folder to the NAS ?
I read up on how to do it on the Apple site and I thought i did the right thing, but for sure I must have messed up somewhere along the line.

Do you need your iTunes to be reachable from others computers than your's ?
Yes to use it with for example Sonos or in my case Bluesound the music needs to be on a NAS

Many thanks again for your kind help :) and I will now try to get some screen shots.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Thank you for your kind words.

However, I feel I can't help you more, as I do not know how things have to be set up when using a NAS and Bluesound (I don't know how it works).

I could certainly help if we were talking about moving the iTunes Media folder to an external HD, or moving the whole iTunes folder to the external.
I have done this many times for friends or for myself.

But this is not exactly what you are after.

I hope someone else come and give you the right answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.