Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AztecKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
My 12 yr. old daughter needs a phone and right now Verizon has the 4S for 99¢. My worry is the fact that it's already two generations old and with the two year contract then it will be 4 gen's old. I really only want a basic phone for her right now but she will be asking for a smart phone before two years are up so why not get a smart phone now and get that part over with.

Any advice?

Jeff

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My 12 yr. old daughter needs a phone and right now Verizon has the 4S for 99¢. My worry is the fact that it's already two generations old and with the two year contract then it will be 4 gen's old. I really only want a basic phone for her right now but she will be asking for a smart phone before two years are up so why not get a smart phone now and get that part over with.

Any advice?

Jeff

Tons of people far older than 12 are still using a 4S. It's still a great phone and should get updates for another few years, especially since she'll really only need a basic phone.

I say get her that. It's hard justifying spending much more on a phone for someone so young. I'd say the 4S would be a good phone for her to learn about responsibility (making sure she can take care of the phone) and electronics.

Also, she'll have something to look forward to in 2 years.

Just my advice!

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
The 99 cent upfront is a way to tie you into a much more expensive contract.
Check how much it would cost you over 24 months vs. a prepaid phone, and then decide.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Go ahead.

Now get schooled in children privacy, safety, what she posts on the net (now that she can do it instantly).

AztecKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go ahead and get the 4S. It will make it easier since my wife and I both have iPhones. She's been using our iPhones for years so she knows how to do everything and probably more than I do. I plan on having her pay for part of the monthly fee with her allowance she earns doing chores so she has some skin in the game.

Jeff

AztecKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Southern Oregon
I wound up getting her the 5C and she is paying half of the cost of the phone and paying part of the monthly fee also. When I went into the store to get the 4S they didn't have the 8 gig and didn't know when they'd get them I decided to just get the 5C. This will last her much longer and will be supported much longer so I feel good about the decision. She was so excited and because she is a really good kid I don't regret the decision.

Jeff

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I wound up getting her the 5C and she is paying half of the cost of the phone and paying part of the monthly fee also. When I went into the store to get the 4S they didn't have the 8 gig and didn't know when they'd get them I decided to just get the 5C. This will last her much longer and will be supported much longer so I feel good about the decision. She was so excited and because she is a really good kid I don't regret the decision.

Jeff

Just make sure she does pay her part of the bill, circle of life must go on and children must learn to pay for what they want. Specially if that want is an expensive electronic device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.