Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
It seems convenient but I have yet to let Safari save my credit card info... has anyone?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It seems convenient but I have yet to let Safari save my credit card info... has anyone?
That's a good question. I don't know if I would. I use Firefox since Safari is missing decent cookie handling nor does it allow one window to be normal browsing and another window to be private browsing.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I do not trust any browser with my credit card info. I use 1Password 4 for securely storing my passwords and info, but still not my credit card. I just feel uncomfortable allowing this kind of info to be anywhere but in my wallet.

Yes I have used it online to purchase things, but I must be very sure of the site I am dealing with and even that is never a guarantee.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
It hasn't come up yet, but as I trust Amazon with my credit card info, I would probably trust Safari at least as much.

A.

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
I do not trust any browser with my credit card info. I use 1Password 4 for securely storing my passwords and info, but still not my credit card. I just feel uncomfortable allowing this kind of info to be anywhere but in my wallet.

Yes I have used it online to purchase things, but I must be very sure of the site I am dealing with and even that is never a guarantee.

Same here - credit card information is not stored anywhere.

Crusader007

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
I totally agree with firedept. Storing any CC info locally on your machine or browser is quite unsafe. Safe bet is to manually enter the CC details every time you shop.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It is actually not stored by Safari, it is stored in the Keychain app. Safari just accesses the info from Keychain. You can see it in my Keychain screenshot below.

The Keychain is encrypted by default with your login password, so it is fairly safe. Even if someone steals your machine and resets your password, they still would not have your Keychain password.

I use it for CC info, but I also use Filevault full disk encryption, so I am not worried about someone stealing my Mac and getting the information.

Xr715WS.png

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Is it true the filevault will slow down macbook? :apple:
Not noticeably.
One thing to remember is that Lion and later have FileVault 2 and there are a lot of issues and limitations that the original FileVault had on Snow Leopard that don't exist for FileVault 2. When you do a web search on FIleVault performance (and issues) you have to be aware of which version of FileVault the web page is talking about.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
It is actually not stored by Safari, it is stored in the Keychain app. Safari just accesses the info from Keychain. You can see it in my Keychain screenshot below.

The Keychain is encrypted by default with your login password, so it is fairly safe. Even if someone steals your machine and resets your password, they still would not have your Keychain password.

I use it for CC info, but I also use Filevault full disk encryption, so I am not worried about someone stealing my Mac and getting the information.

Xr715WS.png
I've given in and am trying it out (having my cc in safari) because of this post.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008

If you are that paranoid you should look into the service provided by credit card companies where you log in to their website and get a single use limited time temporary number with a $ limit that you can use on any website. They won't get your real card info and the damage they can do would be limited to the amount you specify.

With card info getting stolen from very reputable merchants, I think your card info is never really safe even if you think it is.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
If you are that paranoid you should look into the service provided by credit card companies where you log in to their website and get a single use limited time temporary number with a $ limit that you can use on any website. They won't get your real card info and the damage they can do would be limited to the amount you specify.

With card info getting stolen from very reputable merchants, I think your card info is never really safe even if you think it is.

Not paranoid at all, to old for that. Note that I said I do use my card online for purchases, I just do not store my card info anywhere on my computers.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No, I leave my finance stuff out of safari.

----------

If you are that paranoid you should look into the service provided by credit card companies where you log in to their website and get a single use limited time temporary number with a $ limit that you can use on any website.
Its not paranoia, its realizing that the more the information is out there, the less secure it will be. There's really no reason to store the info in safari, more secure solutions are available plus it can't hurt to manually type it in

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Not paranoid at all, to old for that. Note that I said I do use my card online for purchases, I just do not store my card info anywhere on my computers.

My paranoia observation was directed at the following comment:
>>>
>>>

I think you can shop without fear anywhere if you use the temporary card number feature provided by credit card companies.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
My paranoia observation was directed at the following comment:
>>>
>>>

I think you can shop without fear anywhere if you use the temporary card number feature provided by credit card companies.

Have your card number stolen some time. It can change your perspective of how important it is to protect your private info pretty quick. And yes, I have always been careful. You just never know.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Have your card number stolen some time. It can change your perspective of how important it is to protect your private info pretty quick. And yes, I have always been careful. You just never know.

No need to get personal.

I have been through it many times. The point is...your card number can get stolen at your favorite restaurant. It doesn't have to be only online. Most of the time, the anomalous behavior is detected by the credit card company within a few charges even before a statement is generated.

Anyway, I don't use safari and I don't store credit card info in my browser. But many merchants I deal with store it on their site and given the recent increase in security breaches at various merchants (we hear about the big ones, but the small ones you will never hear about), so while I'm not advocating being outright irresponsible, I don't think there's any way to guarantee protection.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
No need to get personal.

I have been through it many times. The point is...your card number can get stolen at your favorite restaurant. It doesn't have to be only online. Most of the time, the anomalous behavior is detected by the credit card company within a few charges even before a statement is generated.

Anyway, I don't use safari and I don't store credit card info in my browser. But many merchants I deal with store it on their site and given the recent increase in security breaches at various merchants (we hear about the big ones, but the small ones you will never hear about), unless one is being outright irresponsible, I don't think there's any way to guarantee protection.

Nothing personal intended. :) I have been the victim of cc fraud, hence my feeling about my personal info. And mine was stolen many years ago before the internet existed. I was always very careful with it and never just handed it out, but it still happened.

But it amazes me how easily people hand out this info these days or where they will store it. People think putting it on the computer with a password is completely safe. Well thieves are more clever than ever theses days. Example Target stores. I have to agree with you about there being no way to ever guarantee its protection.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013

Xr715WS.png

I take advantage of this very same method, as Filevault has an excellent track record. Everything involves some risk, so I've chosen accordingly.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Amazon and Apple have my cc info and nothing is automatic. I have to log into either account to use it. Other than that, it's stored on a piece of plastic in my wallet. I really don't mind the extra step of entering stuff like this by hand.

Dale

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have had my credit card breached a few times... specifically in Europe rather than in the USA. European credit cards have the chip... so they are fairly secure. Those of us in Europe with USA credit cards are more at risk... since there are far fewer of us using the insecure credit cards... so percentage wise, we are more likely to be targeted by a their working in a store.

Having a credit card breached is pretty innocuous compared to most fraud. At least in the US, you are only liable for $50. In both cases, was not charged at all... just had to wait a couple of days till my replacement card arrived.

I do use 1Password to hold my information. It is more secure than actually using the card... irrespective if it is online or in person.

/Jim

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I have had my credit card breached a few times... specifically in Europe rather than in the USA. European credit cards have the chip... so they are fairly secure. Those of us in Europe with USA credit cards are more at risk... since there are far fewer of us using the insecure credit cards... so percentage wise, we are more likely to be targeted by a their working in a store.

Having a credit card breached is pretty innocuous compared to most fraud. At least in the US, you are only liable for $50. In both cases, was not charged at all... just had to wait a couple of days till my replacement card arrived.

I do use 1Password to hold my information. It is more secure than actually using the card... irrespective if it is online or in person.

/Jim

How much are you liable for in Europe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.