Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Monistee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
HEY ALL.. I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM. SO I WANTED TO SAY HELLO. AND I'VE REALLY ENJOY READING OTHERS OPINIONS AND HELP TOPICS ON THIS FORUM.

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW IMAC AND STILL HAVE A SECOND ONE I BOUGHT BUT IS NOT GOOD FOR WHAT I NEEDED. WHAT HAPPENED I WENT TO FUTURESHOP WHICH IS A STORE IN CANADA. AND ASKED THE SALES PERSON, FOR A IMAC WHICH WOULD HANDLE VIDEO EDITING. HE RECOMMENDED A Apple 27-inch iMac/2.9GHz Core i5 (Late 2011). WHEN I STARTED USING ADOBE PREMIER PRO. THE EFFECTS WOULD MAKE IT CRASH. SO I TALKED TO A FEW PEOPLE IN VIDEO EDITING. THEY TOLD ME THE GRAPHICS CARD NEEDED TO BE UPGRADED, MORE RAM. IT WASN'T A IMAC FOR THE TYPE OF WORK I NEEDED. SO I WENT BACK TO FUTURESHOP, TO ASK THE PRO'S WHY THEY SOLD ME A MACHINE THAT COULDN'T HANDLE WHAT I WANTED IT FOR. THEY SAID THEY THOUGHT I MEANT JUST HOME VIDEOS. BUT I EXPLAINED WHEN I BOUGHT FROM THEM, I NEEDED FOR VIDEO EDITING, AND WOULD IT HANDLE THE PRO APPS FOR VIDEO OUT THERE. SO A LONG STORY I HAD TO BY A NEW IMAC. THIS IS WHAT I BOUGHT. I WILL GET IT IN A FEW DAYS.

HOPEFULLY IT WILL HANDLE PREMIER PRO. AND OTHERS.. IT'S A 27-inch, Late 2013 , Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB, Software OS X 10.9.1 (13B42). FROM WHAT I READ IT SAYS IT SHOULD HANDLE IT? I PRAY IT DOES! I LOVE MACS EVEN THOUGH I'M JUST STARTING OUT. THANKS IN ADVANCE, AND IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU! HAVE A GOOD ONE. AND PS. I'M NOT YELLINBG.. JUST DON'T HAVE MY GLASSES. :)

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
You should be more than fine even your last machine should be fine. My close friend uses a older 2009 MacBook Pro for his editing on the road and yes it is slower but he plugs right along. Your new iMac should fly along. Sounds like you had issues with the software not the computer.

Monistee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Hey Ak907Freerider thanks for your reply. Well that's good news. My last machine didn't have the proper graphics card recommended. Plus when using certian effects in Premier pro it would just quit. Adobe recommended a higher graphics card mine was 512 mb. I found this today. it's from Adobe

ADOBE:

Mac OS

Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
Mac OS X v10.7 or v10.8
4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
4GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10GB recommended)
1280x800 display
7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)
QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card from list below with at least 1GB VRAM for GPU accelerated-performance
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, membership validation, and access to online services.*

Mac

AMD Radeon HD 6750M (OpenCL)
AMD Radeon HD 6770M (OpenCL)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650M (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce Quadro CX (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce Quadro FX 4800 (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce Quadro 4000 (CUDA)
NVIDIA GeForce Quadro K5000 (CUDA)

Visit the NVIDIA website for system requirements and compatibility. The list of graphics cards that are compatible with Adobe Premiere® Pro is updated on a regular basis.

* When paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus configured system.

I don't even see my graphics card on there. I hope I'll have enough of everything on my imac. I will have to find out if the graphic card 780 will be ok!. Anyways i really do appreciate your help!
Have a good one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.