Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brent0saurus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
So my friend lost her phone, replaced it with a 5C, wants to restore from her iCloud backup but the backup file is too big (the 5C is a smaller capacity than her old iPhone).

What can she do? Apple says everything is lost but I find that hard to believe.

Can she access the Camera Roll from a Mac? Or can she restore all settings and apps minus the camera roll so she at least starts at that point?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I think she can set up as new then choose to restore after so at least get apps on the device then work a way of getting the pictures maybe?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
She can't restore to a smaller capacity device from iCloud.

The way it works is all or nothing.

Technically nothing is lost, it's just whenever she gets a phone that can fit the backup is when she can actually restore it. Obviously the issue is unless she restores now, in the future she will have two backups that can't be merged.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Her only option is to borrow a friend/family member's phone (or for that matter buy another phone that can later be returned) of a suitable capacity, restore her backup to it, delete stuff as needed, then do another iCloud backup. After that she will be able to restore to her 5c from the new, smaller backup.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Or as the above poster says borrow a phone. Upload required files to reduce the backup to another cloud source (if possible) to allow for new backup to fit onto smaller device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.