Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I'd like to make a small utility that makes it a breeze to associate hundreds of file extensions with a single app and to use a single quick look plugin all at once.

My understanding is that there's a property defined in each app bundle's info.plist that says which file extensions it associates with, but then the contents of this property are copied to some master file somewhere from time to time.

Does anyone know where that master file is?

Or should I just modify the chosen app's info.plist?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
1) Do not ever modify another apps Info.plist: this will break code signing which will prevent them running if signed.
Okay, that makes sense. The things I was reading that said it was a viable option were all from between 2003 and 2005, so I was checking if anyone had newer answers.

I'll look at the link you shared - thanks!

Edit: Quick related question:

Does a file itself contain its own MIME type - or is that some kind of meta data from outside the file?

Last edited:

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
To my knowledge, Launch Services can map MIME data to document definitions and/or a UTI. But as far as storing MIME type for a file, it doesn't do that.

Last edited:

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
all of the above is accurate, at least as far as I know.

Just to be complete, my rule of thumb for app associations is:

dos/windows - file name extension.
older Mac OS - resource fork
Unix - pulled from /etc/magic

I just looked in my 10.6.x server, and I don't see a /etc/magic file. I *thought* a magic file was there, maybe in older versions and Apple has more recently pulled it.

Again, on my 10.6.x Server, I do have (2) magic files, one in each of these directories.

/private/etc/apache2/magic
/usr/share/file/magic/magic

Hope this is of some value to you.

Meir David

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
hi dude

When a user drags an application into the Applications folder, the system should register it with Launch Services automatically.

See Application Registration in the Launch Services Guide.

kaydell.leavitt

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Some History of File Types on the Mac

Back in Classic Mac OS, each document has an OSType which was a 4 character file type such as "TEXT" for a text file, and file name extensions were just a part of the file name and had no special meaning.

When OS X came out, it was Unix so, file name extensions came into use with Mac OS X. They are hidden by default in the Finder, but they are visible in Terminal.app and they are visible in Finder.app if you go into Finder > Preferences > Advanced Preferences > Show all filename extensions and check this check box.

OS X still has the OSType in application bundles. Application bundles are really just folders with the .app extension. You can open them up in Finder by right-clicking on them and choosing "Show Package Contents" from the context menu. If you look around, you can find a file called "PkgInfo", it contains two OSTypes one is the document type which is "AAPL" which stands for "application" and the second OSType is what's called the "creator signature".

This OSType stuff is a carry-over from the Mac Classic OS era, but it is still around.

I'll echo what somebody else said. Don't change any applications in any way!!!.

In the Classic Mac OS, when a user opened a document from the Finder, the Finder would look at the creator signature to see which document created it and would open that application.

Back in the Classic era, each file was potentially two files in one. 1) a data fork, and 2) a resource fork, and there were some file attributes which were only used on Macs and you could lose the resource fork and Apple's file attributes if you transferred the file to a computer that wasn't a Mac.

Nowadays, OS X apps *can* create documents with a resource fork, but they usually don't or if they do, they don't store anything critical in the resource fork.

Somebody else mentioned "Launch Services". This seems like a "clean" way to go, to go through one of Apple's API functions:

LSSetDefaultRoleHandlerForContentType

https://developer.apple.com/library...nchServicesReference/Reference/reference.html

In addition to OSType and filename extension, there is another way to type files that's used now called Uniform Type Identifiers (UTI). Here is a link to that sort of thing in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Type_Identifier#Apple_public_UTIs

So in the history of Mac OS, a text file could be typed in the following manners:

1. OSType of "TEXT"
2. file name extension of ".txt", or ".java", or ".c" or ".cpp", etc, etc, etc.
or
3. A UTI of "public.text"

Then there's the MIME types which are more specific than just saying that something is text. For example:

JavaScript:
"text/javascript"

CSS:
"text/css"

HTML:
"text/html"

So, a file can be typed so many different ways, it can be confusing. When you figure it all out, let me know.

-- Kaydell
kaydell@yahoo.com
http://learnmacprogramming.com

Whatever you do, don't write to one of Apple's files that is somewhere or change an application in any way.

I could really use an application like the one that you're writing to change all text files with whatever extension to open up with BBEdit.

Though, be careful not to annoy people by changing file type associations behind people's backs you want to put the user in charge.

If you need a beta-user or if you have any more questions, you can send me an email. I'd love to hear from you.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I could really use an application like the one that you're writing to change all text files with whatever extension to open up with BBEdit.

Why doesn't the functionality in Finder's "Get Info" window suffice? There's an "Open with" popdown menu and a "Change All..." button.

IrishMafia

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Get Info Works

As was suggested earlier, Get Info works! I loaded a new program that took my file association for .m4v away from Quicktime. I selected a movie file and changed the "Open With" back to Quicktime along with "Change All.."

It just works. :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
As was suggested earlier, Get Info works! I loaded a new program that took my file association for .m4v away from Quicktime. I selected a movie file and changed the "Open With" back to Quicktime along with "Change All.."

It just works. :)

Yes, but I was asking about making this change with several file types all at once.

jlettvin

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
I agree with the original thread starter

The answers fail utterly to achieve his/her goal.
I have the same problem, and same goal.
I want VLC to be my universal movie player
and never again see QuickTime
open and corrupt my library of math lectures.
I have unrecoverably lost half a dozen movies.

A utility to meet my need would be useful
if it made any/all new movie types I give it
launch VLC instead of QuickTime or, less comforting,
if I could give it a list of all known movie extensions
and associate VLC with all those extensions.

Anything else leaves me at risk of destroying
more of my precious lecture movies.

So, I second the thread starter's request.
I was unable to grasp enough of the Mac ecosystem
to do it myself. Maybe in time...
But the learning curve for this linux heavy is steep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.