Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Fabulous history. But it also shows that Apple lurched from bad idea to bad idea until Jobs returned.

The Peforma range was utterly horrible, for example.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I've never heard of the old MacPro's hard drives being hot swappable. I wouldn't dream of opening my MacPro while it's on and taking out a live hard drive. If you are afraid of a few wires coming out of the back of a computer you probably aren't the target market for a MacPro. You should see all the stuff plugged into my 2008 MacPro now.

Well what I mean is that one can change them easily whenever they wanted and you had four HDD or SSD which were all internal. it kept things much cleaner and neater. Yes I'm sure many people have things plugged into the Mac Pro externally but you could have up to 8TB inside. Either way the new Mac Pro means there's more wires externally then ever before. it's another "form over function" scenario for Apple.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
I've never heard of the old MacPro's hard drives being hot swappable. I wouldn't dream of opening my MacPro while it's on and taking out a live hard drive. If you are afraid of a few wires coming out of the back of a computer you probably aren't the target market for a MacPro. You should see all the stuff plugged into my 2008 MacPro now.

Technically SATA is hot-swappable, however most systems that aren't designed for it (i.e., RAID cards) don't really do much to enable it properly. But hot-swapping a drive into or out of a Mac Pro won't damage either it or the disk. Though you may lose some data depending on how you had it set-up.

(Also the Mac Pros could be fitted with a hardware RAID card, in which case they definitely were hot-swappable without issue.)

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
Love seeing the powermac 8500 on there which in my eyes was the greatest mac desktop design ever visually. Mechanically it sucked having to remove the motherboard to upgrade the ram but it sure was pretty. Wish they would make an updated 8500. Same design with 12 core cpu would be unbelievable.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
it's another "form over function" scenario for Apple.

I don't agree. I think Apple understands how their target market uses their MacPro and put the hard drive expandability where it is more easily accessible for quick changes and more easily expandable. I LOVE the more portable form factor and the fact that I don't have to open it up to add more capacity. The target market for the MacPro usually uses shared capacity and/or needs portable capacity to take from location to location, office to client to final installation.

dersubtile

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
In honor of the 30. anniversary I made a small AppleScript project, which arranges the desktop icons accordingly:

hello-again-3.png

Feel free to participate, http://julian.palacz.at/en/work/hello-again/ uploaded pictures will be shown on the site after some delay...

Diastro

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Veldhoven, the Netherlands
You must be a relative youngster. In the 'olden days', type faces frequently contained combined letters like this to speed manual typesetting. Two letters could be set in place at once, reducing the time to manually set a page.

You can generate these ligatures on the Apple keyboard using the option key

fi fl

I am in fact too young to have thought of that, hehe. Thanks guys :)

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I don't agree. I think Apple understands how their target market uses their MacPro and put the hard drive expandability where it is more easily accessible for quick changes and more easily expandable. I LOVE the more portable form factor and the fact that I don't have to open it up to add more capacity. The target market for the MacPro usually uses shared capacity and/or needs portable capacity to take from location to location, office to client to final installation.

Well I guess we can agree to disagree. But I don't really even like the current Macs like the iMac and Macbook Pro and such cause you virtually can't upgrade those either. If one wants more HD space or more Ram you have to get it right off the bat and Apple charges much more for it. That in itself almost makes me want to jump ship to Windows but I wouldn't cause Windows is a piece of crap. Always has been.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Well I guess we can agree to disagree. But I don't really even like the current Macs like the iMac and Macbook Pro and such cause you virtually can't upgrade those either. If one wants more HD space or more Ram you have to get it right off the bat and Apple charges much more for it. That in itself almost makes me want to jump ship to Windows but I wouldn't cause Windows is a piece of crap. Always has been.

You can easily upgrade RAM yourself in both of those. The hard drive is trickier but they can be upgraded as well, not to mention a myriad of external ways to add storage. What do you use a computer for?

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
My new rMBP and iPhone wallpaper. Anyone found a high-res (2880x1800) image of the logo? This was a screenshot from the video running full screen, but the curves have a touch of the "jaggies".

apple_30_desktop.jpg

iphone_30.jpg

----------

In honor of the 30. anniversary I made a small AppleScript project, which arranges the desktop icons accordingly:

Feel free to participate, http://julian.palacz.at/en/work/hello-again/ uploaded pictures will be shown on the site after some delay...

Now that is sooo uber cool :cool:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Only Apple could have done this :rolleyes:

You don't see PC manufactures/OEM partners celebrating.

Apple is "special" .... They make great products, so they need something to back it up.... by a celebration on their own efforts...

Maybe car manufactures should do the same thing. They work just as hard.

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Fabulous history. But it also shows that Apple lurched from bad idea to bad idea until Jobs returned.

The Peforma range was utterly horrible, for example.

Our first computer was a Performa. We knew nothing so it was reassuring to have only one box will all necessaries. The large paper diagram with the how to for set up was nice too. I connected everything and it just worked.

Glad we started with Macintosh. Windows was complicated then and may have discouraged me form continuing with computers for an indefinite time.

Still love Mac. There is something about it that is difficult to describe. You must experience to appreciate.

Glad to see Apple remains committed to Mac.

Products indeed became sleeker when Steve returned. I doubt there would be Mac now if Steve did not return at that critical time and get us back on the right track. Steve was amazing.

Here's to 30 more year of Mac *clink*

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
You would think Apple would have a big one day sale to celebrate. 30 years and 30% off of everything.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Super nice to see some Mac love.
iPads might be all the rage — got one — but personally I'm using my MacBook Pro 95% of the time.

Finally, someone acknowledges their is more than iDevices. I love my iPhone and iPad, but nothing comes close to the power and familiarity of my Mac.

ms.annette

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
SoCal
Anyone know where I can get the wallpaper with all the balloons that's on the newer imac on the website? I want it!

ablashek

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
Paraguay
Happy 30th, even though it's hate that turned to love.

(My first Mac was a PPC mini but I had used other people's Macs from time to time).

----------

The "internet" was developed in the late 60s by DARPA. There was no web, but there was certainly email, newsgroups, etc. At first it was defense bases, then defense contractors, then companies and universities. It was largely this way until the late 80s.

In parallel people used modems to access local bulletin board systems by phone modems, and over time those BBSs networked together to form larger systems.

Then came the service providers -- Compuserve (I think this was first and was created for stock quotes in the late 70s), AOL, Prodigy, etc.

Then ISPs popped up for getting on the real internet.

My recollection is the first web server and browser were created in 1992 at UNC and that became Netscape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
ok, well by internet I meant webserver that hosted html. Check out the wikipedia article, and scroll down to the services - world wide web. Check out the image. Its a Next computer that Tim used to create the worlds first webserver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.