Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agffth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
I'm not sure where to go with this so I'm starting here.

I listen to Pandora radio on the morning commutes to work. This morning there were 2 ads: AT&T and Trader Joes. AT&T wasn't that surprising but that was the first time I've seen Trader Joes.

What made me curious is that I mentioned both in text messages yesterday. That was the first time I mentioned Trader Joes. After thinking about it I noticed a lot of the Pandora ads are very relevant to me and things I mention in text messages all the time.

I have an iPhone with iOS 7.

Am I being paranoid, is this just coincidence, or is something more going on here?

Thanks.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I'm not sure where to go with this so I'm starting here.

I listen to Pandora radio on the morning commutes to work. This morning there were 2 ads: AT&T and Trader Joes. AT&T wasn't that surprising but that was the first time I've seen Trader Joes.

What made me curious is that I mentioned both in text messages yesterday. That was the first time I mentioned Trader Joes. After thinking about it I noticed a lot of the Pandora ads are very relevant to me and things I mention in text messages all the time.

I have an iPhone with iOS 7.

Am I being paranoid, is this just coincidence, or is something more going on here?

Thanks.

sms texts or imessage?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
iMessages are encrypted on your device before they are sent and unencrypted on the receiving device. Nobody is reading those while they are in transit. It is extremely unlikely that Apple would go to all that trouble only to undo it in order to get a few pennies from Pandora. There is another company that operates that way though.

A.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
iMessages are encrypted on your device before they are sent and unencrypted on the receiving device. Nobody is reading those while they are in transit. It is extremely unlikely that Apple would go to all that trouble only to undo it in order to get a few pennies from Pandora. There is another company that operates that way though.

A.

ive never received an ad that correlates with my google chat/hangout content

did i do something wrong in my setup?:confused:

but i would hope its a coinkidink. try it out some more and update us

Last edited:

agffth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
ive never received an ad that correlates with my google chat/hangout content

did i do something wrong in my setup?:confused:

but i would hope its a coinkidink. try it out some more and update us

I was planning on doing some test keywords to see if they show up as ads.

I mention St. Louis a lot in my iMessages and get St. Louis Bread Co. ads on Pandora all the time. I send messages about college sports and the NBA a lot, I get ads about ESPN College Football and TNT NBA basketball games. It's starting to get strange. It may just be coincidence but it has me wondering.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I was planning on doing some test keywords to see if they show up as ads.

I mention St. Louis a lot in my iMessages and get St. Louis Bread Co. ads on Pandora all the time. I send messages about college sports and the NBA a lot, I get ads about ESPN College Football and TNT NBA basketball games. It's starting to get strange. It may just be coincidence but it has me wondering.

of course i dont know what ads you would deem "normal" but what about trying something abstract like vacation in europe or asia?

when do you think this started?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.