Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

First announced back in December, Pebble today launched a dedicated Pebble appstore featuring an array of apps that can be downloaded onto the company's line of smart watches.

The appstore, which functions similarly to other app repositories from companies like Apple and Google, aggregates all of the third-party apps developed for the Pebble Smart Watch. While apps have existed for the smart watch for quite some time, having a central download location will improve content discovery on the device.

pebbleappstore.jpg
Pebble's mission is to make products that mesh easily with your life. Until now, Pebble users discovered apps and watchfaces through several awesome third party resources like MyPebbleFaces. The Pebble appstore changes all this by providing a simple one-stop-shop for you to discover, manage, and install apps and watchfaces.
Pebble's original Pebble Smart Watch and the Pebble Steel can both access the appstore, which organizes apps into individual categories complete with ratings. The Pebble appstore is the first official Pebble app and can be accessed directly on the Pebble watch following an iOS app update that is currently rolling out.

Pebble owners can use the appstore to download and manage their smart watch apps, as the Pebble watches are limited to eight apps each. Though there is an app limit, Pebble does incorporate a Pebble Locker allowing frequently used apps to be installed and uninstalled quickly.

The appstore is organized into six different categories, including Daily, Tools & Utilities, Notifications, Remotes, Fitness, and Games. Like Apple's App Store, each category features a selection of both new and top apps.

Watchfaces are also available in a separate category and at the current time, all Pebble apps are available for free as the appstore does not support paid applications. Developers can, however, create apps that work alongside an iOS companion app.

More than 1,000 apps are published in the Pebble appstore, including apps from major companies that Pebble has partnered with, including Yelp, GoPro, and Foursquare.

As part of its Pebble Steel review, Engadget took an early look at the Pebble appstore and was satisfied with the number of apps available.
As is, we were wholly satisfied with the number and scope of available apps -- even in its beta stage, we don't feel there are any "must-haves" missing.
Pebble's line of smart watches can be purchased from the Pebble website for $150 to $249. The accompanying Pebble Smartwatch app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: The Pebble iOS update that includes the Pebble appstore is now live.

Article Link: Pebble Debuts New Appstore for Pebble Smart Watches

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
They're scrambling!

If Apple does release a wearable/watch device, it will be the end, unfortunately.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I like the idea of pebble and having an app store for it makes sense. I am not very keen on the actual watch. Still seems bulky. With Samesung and (hopefully soon) apple delivering an alternative, I wonder if pebble has a chance on its own?

I stopped wearing a watch once I started carrying a phone with me, so IMO, a vendor needs to deliver something that is compelling. Clearly Samesung did not get it right, as their approach has not sold well. Pebble is there, but is still a very small player from what I hear. Maybe that is why Apple is holding out -- they have not (yet) figured out what will make it compelling.

ayasinsk

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
Still no update, supposedly it is coming out today but will not be surprised at all if it gets pushed back...again...

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
Still seems bulky. With Samesung and (hopefully soon) apple delivering an alternative, I wonder if pebble has a chance on its own?

It's not bulky at all for a watch. It's pretty thin and light. Esp compared to that awful beast of a Samsung watch.

One of the key factors for Pebble (for me), is it's simplicity. I don't need a watch to replace all the functionality of the phone nor would I want that. For my uses it's great at notifications for what I need/want to be notified with. Meetings, movies, hanging with friends, driving, and so on I don't need to pull out my phone every time it buzzes in my pocket. Quick glance at my wrist lets me know I can ignore it or not.

dandyhighwayman

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Apple approved the app and we clicked the button to release it; we're just waiting for Apple's servers to push the update out to all of you.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
They're scrambling!

If Apple does release a wearable/watch device, it will be the end, unfortunately.

That is beyond true, at least on the IOS side of things. The iwatch would kill any 3rd party attempts at a device paired with apple products.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
They're scrambling!

I'd hardly call it "scrambling" considering all of these features were announced back from the original kickstarter. But they eventually all got pushed back into the 2.0 release over a year later.

The Pebble is still a tiny niche product, if the iWatch comes along then it will only serve to validate it. While the Apple version will outsell it greatly, the most likely effect will actually be increasing pebble's sales as more people become aware of the market.

dandyhighwayman

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
So online it said that it should appear in the uk at 18.00, it's 19.22 and still nowt.

At Pebble, we clicked the button to push it live in the App Store at 10AM PDT. Usually it goes live within 15 minutes. For some reason it did not. We're thinking their CDN is stuck. We pinged them. We're as mystified as you are.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
At Pebble, we clicked the button to push it live in the App Store at 10AM PDT. Usually it goes live within 15 minutes. For some reason it did not. We're thinking their CDN is stuck. We pinged them. We're as mystified as you are.

Blimey. Didn't expect a direct response. Cheers. I keep refreshing as wanted to get this downloaded before I head out. Still awaiting the black steel to ship to replace my current pebble though. I'm impatient lol.

----------

I'd hardly call it "scrambling" considering all of these features were announced back from the original kickstarter. But they eventually all got pushed back into the 2.0 release over a year later.

The Pebble is still a tiny niche product, if the iWatch comes along then it will only serve to validate it. While the Apple version will outsell it greatly, the most likely effect will actually be increasing pebble's sales as more people become aware of the market.

Exactly. That guy was overdramatising it all. The galaxy gear is an abomination and is no comparison or competition for the pebble. Apple's watch will be the only real competitor.

dandyhighwayman

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Still awaiting the black steel to ship to replace my current pebble though. I'm impatient lol.

The pictures don't do the black Pebble Steel justice. The metal is matte-textured and looks great. It is worth the wait. (I'd say that even if I didn't work for Pebble)

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Maybe the Pebble guys should actually wait until the app is showing up on iTunes before advertising the release of a huge update that many have been waiting months for?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
It's not bulky at all for a watch. It's pretty thin and light. Esp compared to that awful beast of a Samsung watch.

not so -- compared to bling-bling men's watches, it may be slim, but compared to conservative men's watches it's quite bulky.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
liars. they consistently overpromise and underdeliver.

No kidding. I've been irritated since I got my Pebble with it periodically losing BT connection to my iPhone and not notifying me, resulting in missed calls and messages... I was hoping 2.0 would have addressed that, but clearly they can't get their act together in Pebble land. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.