Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

World Wrestling Entertainment Channel Coming to Apple TV on February 24

A World Wrestling Entertainment representative has seemingly confirmed on Facebook that the new 24/7 WWE Network will be available as a dedicated channel on the Apple TV on February 24.

In a conversation with a fan who asked specifically about an Apple TV app, a WWE Network Facebook representative said the WWE Network app can be launched directly from the Apple TV.
Quote:
In order to experience WWE Network on an Apple TV, you must have a second generation or later (black) Apple TV and be a WWE Network subscriber. Once WWE Network is available, you will be able to launch the WWE Netowrk app directly from your Apple TV. Let us know if you have further questions! Thank you.
First announced in January, the World Wrestling Entertainment Network is a 24/7 streaming network that includes original programming, reality shows, documentaries, classic matches, and more. Available for $9.99 per month, it also includes 12 WWE live pay-per-view events.

When introduced, WWE executives noted that the service would be available via the WWE website and through numerous consoles, smartphones, and tablets. While the Roku was listed as an available device, as was the iPad, no specific mention was made of the Apple TV.

WWE Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer Michelle Wilson did, however, say that the service would also be available on "a connected device I am not allowed to mention at this press conference," presumably alluding to the Apple TV. Attendees at the service's introductory event were also given Apple TVs to take home.

Apple historically exercises control over announcements related to its products, so it is no surprise that news of a potential WWE app for the Apple TV has been suppressed. Over the course of the last several months, Apple has introduced several new channels to the Apple TV, each with no advanced notice.

Most recently, Apple added the Red Bull TV action sports channel to the Apple TV, and before that, the company introduced channels for Watch ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, and KORTV. Apple is also said to be working on a major overhaul to both the Apple TV software and hardware, which could debut later this year.

The WWE network will be available for $9.99 per month at 9 AM Eastern Time on February 24, 2014 and will reportedly launch on the Apple TV at the same time. Fans will be given a free one week trial to the service.

(Thanks, Josh!)

Update: The WWE Facebook page has since been updated to delete the comment about the Apple TV, but the original text can be seen in the image below.

Article Link: World Wrestling Entertainment Channel Coming to Apple TV on February 24
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:28 PM   #2
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
yay i love watching fake wrestling
ZacNicholson is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Oh god I cant stand big muscle bound men in speedos screaming at each other.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:30 PM   #4
base242
macrumors newbie

God no, please!
base242 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:30 PM   #5
ayale99
macrumors regular

+1 for more content
-1 for adding crap content.
ayale99 is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:32 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Oh, joy!

Quality entertainment.

And only about $120 per year.

Please, hold me back!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:33 PM   #7
shadow puppet
macrumors 6502

For the love of God, no.
shadow puppet is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:33 PM   #8
ckelley
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
yay i love watching fake wrestling
Because every show on TV is real? Damn, I thought Brooklyn Nine Nine was a documentary! Same with all the Law & Orders that are on! :roll eyes:

Regardless... although I'm a little miffed at the creative direction the WWE has taken in the last few months (no D-Bry during the Rumble, but Bautista? G.T.F.O.), I still want the WWE Network to do well and think that the success they have will hopefully shift other sports properties into this type of subscription-based model. I'll be buying so that I can re-watch a bunch of PPVs, and their "Monday Night War" series looks to be amazing, glad to know that it's coming to the Apple TV.
ckelley is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:35 PM   #9
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by HMI; Feb 26, 2014 at 04:05 PM.
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:37 PM   #10
starbird
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Oh, joy!

Quality entertainment.

And only about $120 per year.

Please, hold me back!
Hey, it may not appeal to you, it doesn't appeal to me anymore, but since one PPV is $60, this is the price of 2 PPVs. It is a great deal. And, you know you can hide channels you don't want, right? For instance, I don't have KOR or Crunchyroll on my Apple TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelley View Post
Because every show on TV is real? Damn, I thought Brooklyn Nine Nine was a documentary! Same with all the Law & Orders that are on! :roll eyes:

Regardless... although I'm a little miffed at the creative direction the WWE has taken in the last few months (no D-Bry during the Rumble, but Bautista? G.T.F.O.), I still want the WWE Network to do well and think that the success they have will hopefully shift other sports properties into this type of subscription-based model. I'll be buying so that I can re-watch a bunch of PPVs and their "Monday Night War" series looks to be amazing, glad to know that it's coming to the Apple TV.
Here, here. Vince knows what he is doing. I know people love to bash his XFL, but it changed what was expected of televised football. He helped kick the NFL into high gear as far as broadcasting.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:37 PM   #11
ayale99
macrumors regular

I'd imagine the typical WWE consumer is more of an Android user? At least the ones I know are. They like their phones in buckles on the outside of their pants and their men to be oiled down in speedos yelling at each other.
ayale99 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:37 PM   #12
cube
macrumors G3

I think MacRumors pushed this story just to show the annoying date format.

Last edited by cube; Feb 3, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
cube is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Will do good
macrumors 6502

This my friends is how Apple is making it into main street. By dumbing down to meet the masses.
Will do good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Tech198
macrumors 68040

This should keep all you WWE fans happy ... :P

But hey, we like Tim Cook for going 'off-road'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayale99 View Post
+1 for more content
-1 for adding crap content.
your math doesn't "add' up to anything.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:39 PM   #15
outphase
macrumors 65816

Apple users have to fight the stereotype that they think they're better than other computer users. This thread does nothing to end the stereotype.
outphase is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:39 PM   #16
quagmire
macrumors 603

/irony

I used to be a fan of WWE, but their product is gone down hill. I still follow it, but I don't watch it as much. Their seemingly refusal to push Daniel Bryan, CM Punk walking out, etc just highlights how bad it has gotten.

CM Punk's shoot back in 2011 has been the closest they have gotten to getting me reinterested into the product, but they dropped the ball big time.
Penn Station-New York

Last edited by quagmire; Feb 3, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
quagmire is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:41 PM   #17
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

This is great news, and hopefully more channels will follow this. I do not need WWE at all, but the idea is sound.

As for the Apple TV, it needs a channel store desperately.
zedsdead is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:41 PM   #18
pommie82
macrumors regular

i would prefer to count the hairs on my arms then watch fake wrestling
pommie82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:42 PM   #19
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

This is great news. I'll be subscribing on the 24th, mainly to get access to all of the great PPVs and shows I grew up on that I now go to YouTube to watch in sketchy quality.
rwilliams is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:42 PM   #20
pavelbure
macrumors 6502a

I will sign up for the back catalog. As a cord cutter I hope more networks follow this model or something close to it.
pavelbure is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:43 PM   #21
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

I have to cinch my belt tighter because I am literally lmao right now. L-i-t-e-rally.

Not figuratively, not hyperbolic-ly, butt seriously... I sat on an upside down running lawn mower. <- That statement makes as much sense as the WWE Channel on an ATV.

/mind blown

edit: I take it back. As many have said, we all like different things. For those who like professional wrestling - more power to you. Seriously, who am I to judge?

/goes back to watching Archer.

Last edited by 69Mustang; Feb 3, 2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: trying to be less judgmental.
69Mustang is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:43 PM   #22
InfoTime
macrumors 6502

I picture this:

Where A = Apple's target demographic
Where B = WWE's target demographic

Except imaging that there's about three inches between the two circles and they DON'T overlap.
InfoTime is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:44 PM   #23
Komentra
macrumors member

I knew there would be douchebags bashing WWE in this thread. Either way, I'm glad it's coming to Apple TV. I'd rather watch it on my Apple TV or one of my huge gaming consoles.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:46 PM   #24
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

Definitely an icon I'd like to be able to delete, along with Disney and few others.

PS - anyway, it's great that Apple TV can do more and more. But maybe it's time for app store so we can choose what we want? I, for example, would LOVE to get Plex and Spotify...

Last edited by Sandstorm; Feb 3, 2014 at 01:52 PM.
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:47 PM   #25
PlayRadioPlay
macrumors regular

This is a huge deal.

Wrestling is one of the big things that keeps people tethered to satellite, much like pro sports.

Apple is slowly peeling customers away from their satellite packages.

And people who are making fun of wrestling shouldn't quit their day jobs. Lots of crappy dad jokes in this thread.
PlayRadioPlay is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion