Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A World Wrestling Entertainment representative has seemingly confirmed on Facebook that the new 24/7 WWE Network will be available as a dedicated channel on the Apple TV on February 24.

In a conversation with a fan who asked specifically about an Apple TV app, a WWE Network Facebook representative said the WWE Network app can be launched directly from the Apple TV.
In order to experience WWE Network on an Apple TV, you must have a second generation or later (black) Apple TV and be a WWE Network subscriber. Once WWE Network is available, you will be able to launch the WWE Netowrk app directly from your Apple TV. Let us know if you have further questions! Thank you.
First announced in January, the World Wrestling Entertainment Network is a 24/7 streaming network that includes original programming, reality shows, documentaries, classic matches, and more. Available for $9.99 per month, it also includes 12 WWE live pay-per-view events.

wwenetwork.jpg
When introduced, WWE executives noted that the service would be available via the WWE website and through numerous consoles, smartphones, and tablets. While the Roku was listed as an available device, as was the iPad, no specific mention was made of the Apple TV.

WWE Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer Michelle Wilson did, however, say that the service would also be available on "a connected device I am not allowed to mention at this press conference," presumably alluding to the Apple TV. Attendees at the service's introductory event were also given Apple TVs to take home.

Apple historically exercises control over announcements related to its products, so it is no surprise that news of a potential WWE app for the Apple TV has been suppressed. Over the course of the last several months, Apple has introduced several new channels to the Apple TV, each with no advanced notice.

Most recently, Apple added the Red Bull TV action sports channel to the Apple TV, and before that, the company introduced channels for Watch ABC, Bloomberg, Crackle, and KORTV. Apple is also said to be working on a major overhaul to both the Apple TV software and hardware, which could debut later this year.

The WWE network will be available for $9.99 per month at 9 AM Eastern Time on February 24, 2014 and will reportedly launch on the Apple TV at the same time. Fans will be given a free one week trial to the service.

(Thanks, Josh!)

Update: The WWE Facebook page has since been updated to delete the comment about the Apple TV, but the original text can be seen in the image below.

facebookwwe.jpg

Article Link: World Wrestling Entertainment Channel Coming to Apple TV on February 24

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Oh god I cant stand big muscle bound men in speedos screaming at each other.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
yay i love watching fake wrestling :rolleyes:
Because every show on TV is real? Damn, I thought Brooklyn Nine Nine was a documentary! Same with all the Law & Orders that are on! :roll eyes:

Regardless... although I'm a little miffed at the creative direction the WWE has taken in the last few months (no D-Bry during the Rumble, but Bautista? G.T.F.O.), I still want the WWE Network to do well and think that the success they have will hopefully shift other sports properties into this type of subscription-based model. I'll be buying so that I can re-watch a bunch of PPVs, and their "Monday Night War" series looks to be amazing, glad to know that it's coming to the Apple TV.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Oh, joy!

Quality entertainment.

And only about $120 per year.

Please, hold me back!:rolleyes:

Hey, it may not appeal to you, it doesn't appeal to me anymore, but since one PPV is $60, this is the price of 2 PPVs. It is a great deal. And, you know you can hide channels you don't want, right? For instance, I don't have KOR or Crunchyroll on my Apple TV.

Because every show on TV is real? Damn, I thought Brooklyn Nine Nine was a documentary! Same with all the Law & Orders that are on! :roll eyes:

Regardless... although I'm a little miffed at the creative direction the WWE has taken in the last few months (no D-Bry during the Rumble, but Bautista? G.T.F.O.), I still want the WWE Network to do well and think that the success they have will hopefully shift other sports properties into this type of subscription-based model. I'll be buying so that I can re-watch a bunch of PPVs and their "Monday Night War" series looks to be amazing, glad to know that it's coming to the Apple TV.

Here, here. Vince knows what he is doing. I know people love to bash his XFL, but it changed what was expected of televised football. He helped kick the NFL into high gear as far as broadcasting.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
I'd imagine the typical WWE consumer is more of an Android user? At least the ones I know are. They like their phones in buckles on the outside of their pants and their men to be oiled down in speedos yelling at each other.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think MacRumors pushed this story just to show the annoying date format.

Last edited:

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Apple users have to fight the stereotype that they think they're better than other computer users. This thread does nothing to end the stereotype.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

/irony

:D

I used to be a fan of WWE, but their product is gone down hill. I still follow it, but I don't watch it as much. Their seemingly refusal to push Daniel Bryan, CM Punk walking out, etc just highlights how bad it has gotten.

CM Punk's shoot back in 2011 has been the closest they have gotten to getting me reinterested into the product, but they dropped the ball big time.

Last edited:

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is great news, and hopefully more channels will follow this. I do not need WWE at all, but the idea is sound.

As for the Apple TV, it needs a channel store desperately.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is great news. I'll be subscribing on the 24th, mainly to get access to all of the great PPVs and shows I grew up on that I now go to YouTube to watch in sketchy quality.

pavelbure

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
I will sign up for the back catalog. As a cord cutter I hope more networks follow this model or something close to it.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I have to cinch my belt tighter because I am literally lmao right now. L-i-t-e-rally.

Not figuratively, not hyperbolic-ly, butt seriously... I sat on an upside down running lawn mower. <- That statement makes as much sense as the WWE Channel on an ATV.

/mind blown

edit: I take it back. As many have said, we all like different things. For those who like professional wrestling - more power to you. Seriously, who am I to judge?

/goes back to watching Archer.

Last edited:

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I picture this:

UnionIntersection.png

Where A = Apple's target demographic
Where B = WWE's target demographic

Except imaging that there's about three inches between the two circles and they DON'T overlap. :D

Komentra

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2011
I knew there would be douchebags bashing WWE in this thread. Either way, I'm glad it's coming to Apple TV. I'd rather watch it on my Apple TV or one of my huge gaming consoles.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Definitely an icon I'd like to be able to delete, along with Disney and few others. ;)

PS - anyway, it's great that Apple TV can do more and more. But maybe it's time for app store so we can choose what we want? I, for example, would LOVE to get Plex and Spotify...

Last edited:

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
This is a huge deal.

Wrestling is one of the big things that keeps people tethered to satellite, much like pro sports.

Apple is slowly peeling customers away from their satellite packages.

And people who are making fun of wrestling shouldn't quit their day jobs. Lots of crappy dad jokes in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.