Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
A picture with the YuFu. I think it has the smallest tip, and it has pressure sensitivity.

9k2o.jpg

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
A picture with the YuFu. I think it has the smallest tip, and it has pressure sensitivity.

I like the design - the shape so it won't roll, the pen clip to keep it in my sleeve, the shortcut buttons, etc. I don't like the AAAA battery, and most importantly, only time will tell how well it actually works. I'll keep it in mind though once they become available...

rbarry

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
I assure you I can write at the same size as I would with a pen and standard sheet of paper. I write in Goodnotes as a journal and have written hundreds of pages single-spaced filling every inch of the page.

It is also worth noting that I have a Surface Pro, yet I do all of my writing on my iPad. The Surface has especially bad accuracy at the edges and corners, and is really let down by the quality of software available. OneNote is great, but it's not what I want to use as a journal.

I also use a Jot with Goodnotes, and have found it to be the best of the he solutions available now. I'm disappointed that stylus support is app-specific, and that the tip has stopped working so quickly (2 months of steady use), but the palm-rejection is pretty reliable. I use this setup through an Apple TV in place of a Smartboard at the front of a classroom, so it HAS to work reliably if I'm to do my job. It is precise enough for that purpose.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
The Jot Script is EXCELLENT! Love how it writes. However, it's about the right stylus with the right software on the iPad. The Script is supposed to be best with Penultimate...however I think Goodnotes 4 is the best notetaking software out there and it works great with the Script.

It looks laggy as hell going by the videos though...

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I assure you I can write at the same size as I would with a pen and standard sheet of paper. I write in Goodnotes as a journal and have written hundreds of pages single-spaced filling every inch of the page.

You made your case. I have not been able to duplicate this with my jot pen. Maybe its the way I write. Too many drop outs at small sizes

Reactions: Nausicaa

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The problem is that there are too many people who are very satisfied with using third rate alternatives. Especially, the people who claim these alternatives are just as good as having a Wacom digitizer, they and their attitude will hold Apple back, why provide something when the majority are satisfied without it?

The 'good enough' attitude isn't holding Apple back. Apple listens to Apple. Full stop.

And when it comes to the iPad Apple is looking at the majority which doesn't need a 1024 level sensitive digitizer and a pin point stylus to do anything.

Now when you can make the argument that even a 1/10th of that is useful to everyone or at least 75% of everyone then we will see that level. And I think we are getting to that argument. Signing legal documents, drawing, learning to write cursive at school etc. Things that everyone could be doing in day to day life. Things that could be done with some level of sensitivity and finer touch points even with just a finger.

But even then not everyone needs full blast support. Those that do are welcome to go with something else if it is that important to them. Apple will be fine without them because they will still have the other 90%. The 10% can yell all they want about what Apple MUST do but when Apple looks at the math it's just not worth the research, licensing etc to add something that for most folks will be spec wanking.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
But even then not everyone needs full blast support. Those that do are welcome to go with something else if it is that important to them. Apple will be fine without them because they will still have the other 90%. The 10% can yell all they want about what Apple MUST do but when Apple looks at the math it's just not worth the research, licensing etc to add something that for most folks will be spec wanking.

What percent of ios users use garage band? ipodcasts? Apple will support some fringe features if they see that they contribute to the image of the product

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You made your case. I have not been able to duplicate this with my jot pen. Maybe its the way I write. Too many drop outs at small sizes

Yeah, that's odd. I would not expect any differences between yours and the Touch. Have you ever removed the tip and placed a dab of di-electric grease on the ball and socket joint? It greatly improves the conductivity between the disc and the stylus electronics, and I get virtually no dropouts at any text size.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I would love to use my iPad to write notes in meetings, but the keyboard is not that great, and I prefer to write by hand so that I can draw arrows, diagrams, etc. I have tried the bamboo stylus that everyone loves, but I did not find writing with it to be remotely enjoyable. I have very small writing, and like a fine-point pen, but this seems to be impossible to do on a capacitive touch screen. The Jot Pro seems to be about the closest thing for now, but it still has to use a weird disc at the tip of the stylus.

Do you guys think there will be a day when you can use the iPad with your fingers as you do now, but there would also be a "stylus mode" that supports a fine-tipped stylus that lets you write at the same size you would on actual paper? I just think that a lot more people would use their iPads for taking notes, art, etc. if this were the case.

Don't waste your money on any more stylii, as I and many others have, in search of better performance. You won't find it - especially for note taking. Apple does not utilize the necessary active digitizer with their display, and the capacative touch panel and related software is simply not suited to this use. Certain note taking apps have hacked the system a bit by allowing you to write in huge letters which get shrunk down into lines on a page, but this is obviously a sub-optimal solution. Talented artists can deal with the limitations, or just avoid line art altogether. But for most people the experience just sucks.

Until Apple makes this a priority and adds the necessary display tech or some other technology that supports this functionality, it will always be a poor experience compared to other pen devices. It's a real shame too, because the form factor of the iPad is first rate, and there is so much software out there that seeks to add this sort of functionality. You'd think with so many apps and so many third party stylus devices, Apple would get the message, but for some reason they don't think it's worth the time.

At this point I'm looking forward to the Surface Pro 4. With MS acquisition of N-Trig and Windows 10, I think that device will finally be ready for primetime - better suited OS, and a more refined stylus experience than the 3. A stylus is pretty much the only thing that will ever get me to buy another iPad.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
YuFu and HEX3 is a scam. Jon Atherton (@tunes on Twitter) will collect your money and not fulfil. Please remove this review so others do not fall victim to the modern day version of a highway robber! Read more here: http://kickscammed.com/project/yufu-stylus/

Sad seeing so many people scammed by these fake or otherwise disappointing solutions, year in and year out, because Apple won't listen to a large portion of their customer base who desire these features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.