Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
As I said, working fingerprint scanners were around for years before they were used on the iPhone.

He agrees, he just wanted to add that Apple wasn't even the first to create a working fingerprint reader on a smartphone.

I remember those HP Compaq finger print readers, I never set it up to read though, only because the software end of it wasn't fast enough for me.

I must mention though, after seeing the iPhone 5s scanner, it's also rather slow. If I can't turn the phone on, swipe finger, and get right to the info I want it's just getting in the way.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
He agrees, he just wanted to add that Apple wasn't even the first to create a working fingerprint reader on a smartphone.

I remember those HP Compaq finger print readers, I never set it up to read though, only because the software end of it wasn't fast enough for me.

I must mention though, after seeing the iPhone 5s scanner, it's also rather slow. If I can't turn the phone on, swipe finger, and get right to the info I want it's just getting in the way.

Thanks for clarifying that, my mistake, I owe him an apology.

----------

Ohhh reeeallly?

HP iPaq 5550 2002. It was a swipe instead of a press but it was just as (in)accurate as the 5S, that is the odd time in many it fails to recognise.

The fingerprint is the most boring feature to be added to a phone, the problem is Tim Cook just loves it and soon he'll be saying, oh the mac pro failed because it didn't have touchID and the iPad Air failed because it didn't have touch ID. No because touchID is simply boring, and the reason the Air is failing is because its no lighter than the iPad 2 so we hate being lied to. Oh and we hate Cook trying to sell us last years phone in a crap plastic case.

As I said, working fingerprint scanners were around for years before they were used on the iPhone.

I misunderstood you, sorry for the mistake. Digital Skunk pointed it out to me and I apologize. :)

FatLip

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
on da moon
That's great news for Samsung as it makes their life a lot easier!

yeah i am a bit confused about the remarks Apple makes in the media, it is strange isn't it, people fallow up sites like this and gossip etc, apple is a people's company no doubt and the PC world was more of a corp idea, although ironically PC stands for personal computer and Apple is more proprietor based.

What strikes me the most about all this is that nothing apple has today was invented by Apple, in fact they only re introduced their cherry picked parts and designs from Asia, including the thumb security features

screamingapple

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
Let's face it. Apple hasn't truly innovated anything. They have took technology's already made and well designed them (which they did a damn good job). So IMO apple will be fine still as in the past it hasn't been much different than now. Not to mention a lot of products have been made since Jobs passing that are superb!

o0samotech0o

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
I've felt like this since a couple years after 2007 when the iPhone was launched. The fundamental concept of the iPhone is the same as it was seven whole years ago. Granted it's evolved well but there haven't been any 'new' concepts since then.

The iPad doesn't really count, it really is just a stretched out iPhone without the phone (don't tell me otherwise, I own both!). Sure they've made things lighter, smaller, thinner, but not introduced a new category of product to the market.

I think the problem is people are looking for the next thing they want, and no one quite knows what it is they want yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.