Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tvillumsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi there

My MBP drowned last night and can't start up anymore. So i pulled out the hard drive that seams fine.

I can borrow a friends MBP, while the insurance company finds out, if it can be saved. Will i be able to boot that MBP from my old hard drive using a sata dock and work on my own system?

Thanks!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hi there

My MBP drowned last night and can't start up anymore. So i pulled out the hard drive that seams fine.

I can borrow a friends MBP, while the insurance company finds out, if it can be saved. Will i be able to boot that MBP from my old hard drive using a sata dock and work on my own system?

Thanks!

If you didn't have a backup drive, then the first thing I'd do is to buy one, plus a sata dock or just an external drive case, and do a complete backup using your friend's computer. There is a chance that damage will take some time to destroy the drive.

On the other hand, if and as long as your drive works, you can use it as an external drive and boot from it and use it as if it was your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.