Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Do people here recommend backing up original videos before editing them ?

Basically before using iDentify to add/delete meta data, or don't people worry about backups or this ?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I back them up via copying them from the SD card onto one HDD, and that HDD is cloned onto another HDD, and that HDD is again clone to another HDD. Therefore I have three copies of the original footage, as the SD card will be formatted once I have to use it again.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Why back up original footage?. It is best to make a back-up of your edited version.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I always work on copies of the original videos. Original videos are never touched and are always backed up twice, once on a clone drive and once through Time Machine.

Tech198

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I always work on copies of the original videos. Original videos are never touched and are always backed up twice, once on a clone drive and once through Time Machine.

ok thanks...
The main reason i wish to maybe keep the originals, if because when I edit in iTunes, its saved to the file... hence any mistakes i may make i can just trash the video and start from scratch with the original instead of trying to figure out what i did wrong. eg applied wrong cover art etc

DavidDoyle

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2013
Another vote for making a backup of original data.

I copy the contents of my memory cards to a drive after every shoot. From there those files are backed up to another location.

I then use the copied contents as the source for import into FCPX.

In my case, there is too much invested in the original shoot not to retain all material captured. I can always go back to the original material if there is any issue in the future.

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Always always always backup your footage. Sure, it's not cut yet, but if anything happens to your footage during the edit or your editing drive breaks or what have you its always important to have multiple copies of your footage.

I work for a post studio and we don't even transcode the raw footage we get in until it is backed up at least once. Twice is preferred but it depends on what the client gives us for backup drives.

You only want to shoot once, and for some stuff you can only shoot once, so don't risk it.

Prime example: last month we had footage come in from a dock one of our clients was shooting. It was about a specific person (I'm not gonna get into the details) and the subject actually passed away during filming (they had footage of him and his funeral). Knowing this we made sure to backup all the footage twice when it came in.

Good thing we did as well because the original drive was accidentally erased by the cameraman afterward and one of the backup drives failed. If we hadn't backed up the footage properly the project would never be getting completed because it is impossible to re-shoot it.

Moral of the story: A couple of $200 hard drives is the best investment you could ever make. Don't risk your footage: back it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.