Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bimfi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Summerville, SC
I am a first time iPhone user, switching from an old Android. How do I find out which frequency (CDMA/GSM) my iPhone 5c is utilizing? Is it anywhere in settings? I purchased the phone through Straight Talk (don't judge, please) and they are so secretive about this. I don't know exactly which carrier towers this phone uses. I had assumed it was using CDMA through Verizon, but the phone has a sim card installed and I get LTE displayed most of the time. Some people tell me that ST uses at&t, which would mean GSM. So, how do I know for sure? If you say check the model number, that won't tell me, because the same model number is for CDMA and GSM. Could I take it to an Apple store and have them research it, or is there something I can do myself? I've tried the Field Test, but it's pretty difficult to decipher. Any suggestions?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can try making a call (while not being connected to WiFi) and then hang up a little after you connect and keep an eye to what is being displayed by the carrier name, if you see "1x" there for a quick moment when you hang up before it goes back to "LTE" then you are on a CDMA network.

Also, while on a call (and again without being connected to WiFi) you can try using data, like let's say visiting a website in Safari and clicking on a few things, if you can do it, then you are on GSM, if not, then CDMA.

bimfi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Summerville, SC
Well, after following your instructions, here is what happened. When I placed a phone call (wifi disabled) I saw it change from LTE to "3G" next to the carrier name. Then I called again (wifi still disabled) and opened up Safari and began browsing, and again it showed "3G". So that tells me that my phone is a GSM phone. Thanks for the explanation. Now I know what type of frequency my phone uses. Thanks again!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, after following your instructions, here is what happened. When I placed a phone call (wifi disabled) I saw it change from LTE to "3G" next to the carrier name. Then I called again (wifi still disabled) and opened up Safari and began browsing, and again it showed "3G". So that tells me that my phone is a GSM phone. Thanks for the explanation. Now I know what type of frequency my phone uses. Thanks again!
No problem. And, yeah, based on those observations it would seem that you are using a GSM network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.