Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icebergx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi all,

Been Jailbreaking my previous iPhones for the last 3 years and I love the extra functionality. However, one thing I hate is the phone crashing, going into safe mode and the general instability issues that SOMETIMES come with Jailbreaking.
Usually, after a JB release, things tend to become more stable, in my experience.

My questions are:
1) Is now the time to JB my iPhone 5 (iOS 7.04?)
2) Do many stock/"normal" apps crash, and is so, how often?
3) Does iOS 7 itself crash, and if so, how often, and can these be avoided/minimised?
4) Is there much else that is likely to be fixed in the JB, and if so, could this simply be done by a Cydia update, or will it require a full restore and re-jailbreak?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and assistance :)

Trevornewell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Canada
If I were you stop reading this and jb your phone

Stock apps crash sometimes. Jb does not effect this in any way ( unless at tweek interfairs with a app)
If there is a issue it will be updated through cydia.
Don't wait to long because once the window closes you might not get a chance to jb later

~Ks383~

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Hi all,

Been Jailbreaking my previous iPhones for the last 3 years and I love the extra functionality. However, one thing I hate is the phone crashing, going into safe mode and the general instability issues that SOMETIMES come with Jailbreaking.

Usually, after a JB release, things tend to become more stable, in my experience.

My questions are:

3) Does iOS 7 itself crash, and if so, how often, and can these be avoided/minimised?

4) Is there much else that is likely to be fixed in the JB, and if so, could this simply be done by a Cydia update, or will it require a full restore and re-jailbreak?

1) if you want to jailbreak, jailbreak as soon as possible. there's no telling if and when iOS 7.1 will be jailbroken and Apple could release an update to close the jailbreak window any time now.

2) The only issues that I have heard of involving stock app crashes are related to installing Appsync. If you stay away from that you should not have any problems with crashes of stock apps.

3) if you are already on 7.0.4 you should not experience any extra iOS crashes due to a jailbreak. Although, as I'm sure you know since you said that you have been jailbroken in the past, badly coded tweaks and/or conflicts between tweaks can cause crashes. If you're careful with what you install you should have no issues.

4) Any jailbreak fixes should be able to be accomplished with updates through Cydia, no restore required.

Hope that answers your questions.

lukejc1

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Why not jailbreak right now? You can always update and lose the jailbreak when 7.1 comes out if you don't like it.

I've noticed my 5S crashing every now and then but generally it's been really stable.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If you jailbreak now and something goes wrong you can restore and jailbreak again until you are happy that it all works. If you wait until the next release you can still jailbreak the existing version without updating but if you encounter a problem will be forced to update to latest which may not be jailbreakable.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Can you still update to 7.1B2? I want to do a fresh install with that and JB. Currently my phone was updated via OTA so JB won't work without resetting.

icebergx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
If I were you stop reading this and jb your phone
Stock apps crash sometimes. Jb does not effect this in any way ( unless at tweek interfairs with a app)
If there is a issue it will be updated through cydia.

Great reply :) That's probably the kick up the but that I needed :)

1) if you want to jailbreak, jailbreak as soon as possible. there's no telling if and when iOS 7.1 will be jailbroken and Apple could release an update to close the jailbreak window any time now.

2) The only issues that I have heard of involving stock app crashes are related to installing Appsync. If you stay away from that you should not have any problems with crashes of stock apps.

3) if you are already on 7.0.4 you should not experience any extra iOS crashes due to a jailbreak. Although, as I'm sure you know since you said that you have been jailbroken in the past, badly coded tweaks and/or conflicts between tweaks can cause crashes. If you're careful with what you install you should have no issues.

4) Any jailbreak fixes should be able to be accomplished with updates through Cydia, no restore required.

Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks for that thorough reply ks383. I'll steer clear of App sun and take it easy with adding apps tweaks. Maybe I'll just add 1 or 2 every 2-3 days, to see how stability holds up.

The main one I like and use regularly are Moviebox, StatusHUD, iGotYa, CleaverPin and BatteryDoctorPro. I'll just add them slowly and see how I go. :)

Trevornewell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Canada
If I were you I would add what ever tweaks you need right away. If you need to restore if a problem occurs it's easy to do so now. I'll more to this later. Boss is looking hard at me.

Until then

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
my 5s crashed apps the second day I had it, unjailbreaked.

Probably because you didn't wait for mobileSubstrate to be updated; a topic that has been highlighted the entire time with the latest version of Evasi0n.

You should try it again and see what you get. First impressions due to haste don't always wield the best results.

BL.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Probably because you didn't wait for mobileSubstrate to be updated; a topic that has been highlighted the entire time with the latest version of Evasi0n.

You should try it again and see what you get. First impressions due to haste don't always wield the best results.

BL.

I meant when I got the 5s when it first came out, couple app crashes the day after I got it.

I jailbreaked 2 weeks & I'm loving it. Still some crashes but at the end of the day it is a computer & stuff like that happens, especially jailbreaked.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Jb now and enjoy.
MS is running good and many apps/tweaks have been updated.

The jb itself will not cause any issues w stock apps, resprings, etc

Trevornewell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Canada
Like I was saying. I would jailbreak and add all the tweaks you want. Better for something to mess up now when you can restore to the latest ios and start fresh then having to try to use the cydia option/ tweek that restores your phone but keeps your jailbreak intact. I can't rember the process off hand, but I have used it on my ipad a year or so ago and it does work well.

First thjng you should do is make a backup to your PC/Mac. Then jailbreak and add all the goodies.

I have the 5s and there are still some compatability issues with come tweaks. But the 5 should have a lot less problems if any at all. If you need more info please post here.

I dont pretend to know everything about the tweaks because I only know what I use. But I will help as much as I can about the ones I use.

Last edited:

icebergx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
I dont pretend to know everything about the tweaks because I only know what I use. But I will help as much as I can about the ones I use.

Thanks very much for your assistance Trevor. I bit the bullet and Jailbroke yesterday night, but haven't had a chance to install many "goodies" just yet.

I've already encountered two small problems though.
1) As you can see from the picture my Movie Box app's icon has been replaced by a white box. This doesn't affect the functionality of the app, it's just the aesthetic. Is there any way to get the stock icon back?
2) In my previous Jailbreak , on iOS 6.1.2, I downloaded the cracked version of Voice Dream Reader. I wanted to give it a prolonged test, but the voices they had were very annoying, so I deleted it... Or at least I thought I had. As you can see from the picture, the icon has reappeared on my new JB, and is greyed out/darkened. I would like to delete it, but nothing I've trie works. Any suggestions?

These aren't massive problems but if anybody could help, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Hi all,

My questions are:

1. Yes.
2. No. 0 crashes so far.
3. Yes, while tweaking, but this is normal though. 0 crashes so far during normal use.
4. If I am not mistaken xCon still isn't working, so apps that detect jailbreaks are out of the question.

Also, springtomize 3 is literally all you need when it comes to tweaking. Just jailbreak now, now is a better time than ever.

Trevornewell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Canada
Thanks very much for your assistance Trevor. I bit the bullet and Jailbroke yesterday night, but haven't had a chance to install many "goodies" just yet.

I've already encountered two small problems though.
1) As you can see from the picture my Movie Box app's icon has been replaced by a white box. This doesn't affect the functionality of the app, it's just the aesthetic. Is there any way to get the stock icon back?
2) In my previous Jailbreak , on iOS 6.1.2, I downloaded the cracked version of Voice Dream Reader. I wanted to give it a prolonged test, but the voices they had were very annoying, so I deleted it... Or at least I thought I had. As you can see from the picture, the icon has reappeared on my new JB, and is greyed out/darkened. I would like to delete it, but nothing I've trie works. Any suggestions?

These aren't massive problems but if anybody could help, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Glad you took the plunge you wont be sorry. As for movie box i would suggest un-installing and re-installing it to see if that fixed the problem. if not report back.

thats the problem with installing cracked apps. Not only is it immoral and frowned upon, but i will not help you nor will anyone else here help you with any cracked apps. So dont ask for any help regarding anything cracked. These devs work hard on there tweaks and the prices are so low that there is no excuse to download the cracked ones.

If you need any more help don't be afraid to ask.

and btw there was no picture uploaded to your last post

icebergx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
Glad you took the plunge you wont be sorry. As for movie box i would suggest un-installing and re-installing it to see if that fixed the problem. if not report back.

thats the problem with installing cracked apps. Not only is it immoral and frowned upon, but i will not help you nor will anyone else here help you with any cracked apps. So dont ask for any help regarding anything cracked. These devs work hard on there tweaks and the prices are so low that there is no excuse to download the cracked ones.

If you need any more help don't be afraid to ask.

and btw there was no picture uploaded to your last post

I agree 100%. This is gonna sound "typical" but I always buy my apps (App store or Cydia.) It was just that the lite version had some very tight restrictions and the full version was $10-15, and I didn't want to pay that unless it did exactly as I wanted. In the end, I found the voices too annoying and robotic, so I deleted after a day or two. Anyway, I respect your position so I wasn't ask again ;-)

My Moviebox icon sorted itself out so I'm a happy again... Time to start trawling through those "top cydia tweaks" lists :)

Out of curiosity, which tweaks do you have installed, Trevor?

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN

1. Yes
2. Yes, when the RAM gets too low, just close applications every now and then!
3. Not sure what you mean
4. Yes, a lot of stuff will be updated probably every day :) pretty much everything can be updated from Cydia

EDIT: look at that you get my 500th post :)

Trevornewell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
Canada
I agree 100%. This is gonna sound "typical" but I always buy my apps (App store or Cydia.) It was just that the lite version had some very tight restrictions and the full version was $10-15, and I didn't want to pay that unless it did exactly as I wanted. In the end, I found the voices too annoying and robotic, so I deleted after a day or two. Anyway, I respect your position so I wasn't ask again ;-)

My Moviebox icon sorted itself out so I'm a happy again... Time to start trawling through those "top cydia tweaks" lists :)

Out of curiosity, which tweaks do you have installed, Trevor?

I don't mean to be preachy but they do amazing work.

I have a 5s so the some of the tweaks might not work on your 5.

Virtual home
Xbmc
Bio protect
Bite SMS (beta 12 I think)
Cc toggles
Dock shift
Zeppelin
Percentage

I think that's all of the ones I have. If you want any other info or help by all means post again

Edit: by the way. Don't forget to add afc2add. It gives you the ability to browse the file system of you phone in your PC or Mac via USB using iexplorer or phone browser. If you mess something up and can't access your phone it will allow you to fix the problem on you computer with one of the above mentioned programs.

Last edited:

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
To Jailbreak now, or Jailbreak in the future? That is the question :)

I have ipad2 jailbroken 7.0.4 with rock solid, no single crash at all. Battery life is also good. I only apply very few tweaks
yhape5y8.jpg

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
iOS 7.04 has been pretty stable for me. I was expecting constant crashes and reboots with the way some people have been talking.

I am on a rMini and 5S, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.