Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l3it3r

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Hagerstown, MD
4 devices, 20GB, ~$200/month? Not bad considering we're paying $150/mo for two unlimited data plan iphones w/700 minutes and unlimted text on only one of them...
My kids will want phones soon too...

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Right now I have two smart phones (3gb data each) and two dumb phones (voice only) on a Family talk 700 for $150 a month (not including FAN discount, tax/fees)

If I switch to the new plan, its $160 for everything with 10gb of data that I won’t need (again not including FAN/tax/fees).

My smart phone and dumb phone lines are at alternating upgrade cycles so I upgrade every year. When it’s the dumb phones turn, like this year in Sept, I upgrade at the $199 or $299 price and use the new phones on the my other lines (removing the two $30/month data plans associated with the upgrade). Selling the old phones covers the costs of the upgrades and I pocket the difference. Next year I upgrade the smart phone lines like normal, rinse and repeat.

Will I be forced to use this “value” plan come September? I’ll be paying more plus I lose the upgrade pricing…

thanks

If you are using dumbphones or Tablets to 'GAME' the subsidies then changing plans is not worth it.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
My math.... since we are sharing

Total cost over 2 years with 4 lines and buying 5 phones in the 2 year period.
These all assume $300 for trade/sale of iphone 16GB

Bottom line cost for 2 years. Of course purchasing on sale at Best Buy or wherever would lower some of the costs but I usually upgrade on day 1. No real savings or extra cost. Just depends on what you want to do.

Current plan with 8GB data and 700 minutes, unlimited text 4 lines and $ 199upcoming upgrades.
$5,431 2 year total cost

New plan with 10 GB and doing $199 upgrades and paying $40 instead of $15 per line
$5,925

New plan with 10GB and doing NEXT on the purchases
$5,485

New plan with 10GB and paying $650 retail on purchases
$5,325

Extra benefits No more worrying about one of my lines going over, hotspot now included, and the ability to add a line for a real $15 that will be able to use data.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
If you are using dumbphones or Tablets to 'GAME' the subsidies then changing plans is not worth it.

My fear is what they will do to counter. Subsidized upgrades aren't going away but changing the rules on your new contract can be done.

Taking away the early extra $250 upgrade or requiring you to keep data if the phone you are purchasing originally came with data.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Yes for those on mobile share. It's a wash to switch over.

But for those of us on the older plans it may not be worth while.

If you have the old 700 Family Talk, Unlimited Messaging, and 2 smart phones with 3GB/unlimited each. ($160/mo base price) Even counting the subsidies discounts of paying $199 for a new smartphone, switching to the new plan will cost you $3.70 more/mo for these added features: 10GB shared data, Mobile Hotspot, Tethering, unlimited minutes.

If you have dumb phones, or a plan older than family talk 700, or you are gaming the 'Subsidies' through tablets, then this may not be worth it.

----------

Right, but will I still be able to do that now? Or are we all forced to this new plan?

It looks like you won't be able to game the subsidies on the new plan. You can still use them but that line will remain at $40 through the contract period no matter what device you put in place.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
How did you manage to score the loyalty discount?

I learned from a thread hear to whine about my bill being high. I was out of contract on all phones and she offered me free unlimited text messaging/calling. So it amounts to $30/mo.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
My fear is what they will do to counter. Subsidized upgrades aren't going away but changing the rules on your new contract can be done.

Taking away the early extra $250 upgrade or requiring you to keep data if the phone you are purchasing originally came with data.

Yep. The $40 bump will remain through the contract period of that line. Its no longer based on device type. Its been shown that paying full phone price on new plans is cheaper than accepting subsidies on the old plans.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Looks like AT&T has cleverly found a way to move around the numbers to make their customers feel like they are getting a deal. Verizon will likely follow soon. I'll be sticking to my unlimited data plan no matter what they try to offer.

That certainly may be the best for you. I went from two unlimited data plans and a 250 MB plan to 10 GB shared and the three of us use no more than 2 GB per month. I'm paying less now. Unlimited throttled data has no value greater to me than what I'm saving with a simplified arrangement with the phone separate from the service costs. And I'll save enough in two years to buy a phone out-of-pocket if I decide to do so.

There are folks that this doesn't make sense for, but to categorically dismiss it is unfair.

----------

I learned from a thread hear to whine about my bill being high. I was out of contract on all phones and she offered me free unlimited text messaging/calling. So it amounts to $30/mo.

I don't see where you describe your plan in detail so I may not have all the information, but unlimited messaging / voice is included in the new plans. But enjoy whatever discount you received! :)

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
We have 4 iphones. Total usage about 2-3 gb.

How the HELL can someone go through 7gb?

Guessing there is an easy way to trim that back if you need to.

Between two users on my plan we used 23 GB last month. I used 9 GB between my two iPhones, mostly on my car stereo. My iPhone automatically connects to my car stereo, and plays music from iTunes Match or Pandora. I try to download music ahead of time, but often times my 64 GB phone is already full from other things.

The other user on my plan used 14 GB, much of it streaming Netflix at his house. They don't have cable or WiFi there. Honestly if I wasn't on the unlimited plan it would be cheaper to sign up for Comcast service, but the throttled unlimited speeds are meeting his needs for now.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
AT&T is smarter than u think.

Mobile share has only been around since summer of 2012.

Don't you think the timing of letting people switch over to the 10gb is an accident? Most on mobile share are or will be eligible for full subsidy upgrades within the next 4-7 months.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Does anybody know if the AT&T offer for $100 credit on new lines would apply to an upgrade from say a basic flip phone to a new iPhone w/ 2-year agreement?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It would have to be a completely new line, not an upgrade.
I thought so but figured why not ask, in the process of moving to the Mobile Share value plan and upgrading to the iPhone 5c for the wife at $99 and $40 a month, do you guys think this is a good move? Is it better to just wait for the new iPhones and get her a 5s you think those would eventually drop to around $100?

She doesnt want to spend a whole lot, doesnt use much data, and is not worried about having the latest and greatest. Looking for opinions though if I can get her the 5s for what I'd pay for the 5c now when the new iPhone 6 release maybe I'll wait. Would the 5s drop to around $99 bucks once the iPhone 6 comes out given you agree to a 2-year?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I thought so but figured why not ask, in the process of moving to the Mobile Share value plan and upgrading to the iPhone 5c for the wife at $99 and $40 a month, do you guys think this is a good move? Is it better to just wait for the new iPhones and get her a 5s you think those would eventually drop to around $100?

She doesnt want to spend a whole lot, doesnt use much data, and is not worried about having the latest and greatest. Looking for opinions though if I can get her the 5s for what I'd pay for the 5c now when the new iPhone 6 release maybe I'll wait. Would the 5s drop to around $99 bucks once the iPhone 6 comes out given you agree to a 2-year?

I have the 5c and love it (had the 5s but had too many 64-bit processor related issues). just go buy a good used iPhone 5c or iPhone 5 from swappa and don't mess subsidized pricing ;)

iPhone 5c through at&t will be $99 + $25/month ($40-$15)x24months = $699

I'm sure the 5s will drop to the $99 subsidized price when the iPhone 6 comes out (been like this for several years with updates).

you'll just have to see what makes sense for you guys and your budget.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I have the 5c and love it (had the 5s but had too many 64-bit processor related issues). just go buy a good used iPhone 5c or iPhone 5 from swappa and don't mess subsidized pricing ;)

iPhone 5c through at&t will be $99 + $25/month ($40-$15)x24months = $600

I'm sure the 5s will drop to the $99 subsidized price when the iPhone 6 comes out (been like this for several years with updates).

you'll just have to see what makes sense for you guys and your budget.

It wouldnt be $25/month though it would be $40/month right? I was quoted that as she's on a basic phone right now so it'd be a new upgrade. Thanks for the recommendation

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Right now I have two smart phones (3gb data each) and two dumb phones (voice only) on a Family talk 700 for $150 a month (not including FAN discount, tax/fees)

If I switch to the new plan, its $160 for everything with 10gb of data that I won’t need (again not including FAN/tax/fees).

My smart phone and dumb phone lines are at alternating upgrade cycles so I upgrade every year. When it’s the dumb phones turn, like this year in Sept, I upgrade at the $199 or $299 price and use the new phones on the my other lines (removing the two $30/month data plans associated with the upgrade). Selling the old phones covers the costs of the upgrades and I pocket the difference. Next year I upgrade the smart phone lines like normal, rinse and repeat.

Will I be forced to use this “value” plan come September? I’ll be paying more plus I lose the upgrade pricing…

thanks

Just chatted with a CSR and was told when its time to upgrade I don't need to move to the mobile share plan. everything can stay as is so I guess that means "we'll see"

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
You are a little off here about Next. First if you don't trade in on next and jsut pay the phone off through next, then in actuality all you are doing is paying full price for the phone. So you can go into ATT and pay $650 + $36 activation for an iphone or you can sign up for next and only pay $650 spread across 20 months. A $36 savings.

So now that we agree the phone costs $650 if you do it right. We can look at what a subsidized phone costs. A subsidized phone costs $200+$36 activation. Plus $25 extra/monthx24= $836. Think of the subsidy as a high interest loan on $450 and the Next as a no interest loan on $650. Both from the same company. Finally lets not forget that the high interest loan also forces a contract too.

You are absolutely correct, but I was only comparing plans on a yearly basis. I suspect the overwhelming majority of NEXT customers will upgrade at the 12 month cycle for basically $0 additional costs (save taxes).

If NEXT customers are smart and pay off their phones at the 12 month point (my plan of attack), then they do not have to trade in their phones and lose the equity of their devices on that 0% interest loan. BUT, the customer loses if they trade in annually because they can't apply any equity towards the upgrade.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It wouldnt be $25/month though it would be $40/month right? I was quoted that as she's on a basic phone right now so it'd be a new upgrade. Thanks for the recommendation

I could be wrong (lots of numbers being thrown around here)

but if you guys switch to the 10GB family share value plan, it would be

$100 (10GB of data) + $15/line / month... not sure how dumbphones are handled in this...

but if you get her an iPhone 5c at the subsidized price ($99 down with 2-year contract), you would be paying $40/month ($15/month of that is basically the cost of service for calls and texts + $25 subsidy per month in essence) for that line.

if you brought your own smartphone to the table (say you got one from craigslist or ebay), then you are only paying the $15/line/month on her line... that's where I'm getting the difference in $25/month

so, without phone contracts or subsidized handsets, 2 smartphones would be ($100 + ($15/line))/month

----------

You are absolutely correct, but I was only comparing plans on a yearly basis. I suspect the overwhelming majority of NEXT customers will upgrade at the 12 month cycle for basically $0 additional costs (save taxes).

If NEXT customers are smart and pay off their phones at the 12 month point (my plan of attack), then they do not have to trade in their phones and lose the equity of their devices on that 0% interest loan. BUT, the customer loses if they trade in annually because they can't apply any equity towards the upgrade.

one thing I have always wondered about... can you pay off your phone early or with different monthly amounts under NEXT? or, can you go in and still put lets say $200 down (even though NEXT is $0 down) and end up with more paid towards the phone by the end of the 12 months? I'm thinking in terms of car loans. I always put money down and pay more per month than is required in order to pay it off faster. Will this act the same way? Thanks.

Last edited:

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
If you have dumb phones, or a plan older than family talk 700, or you are gaming the 'Subsidies' through tablets, then this may not be worth it.

Right, any plan on the 700 shared and up isn't worth keeping, with the new plans all being better with purchasing the phone up front with the 0% financing.

From my calculations, only those with the 550 or 450 older plans, and free 6 month texting, with a bulk of rollover minutes are better off with 2 year contract subsidized plan, and only on the upcoming iPhone 6 for $199.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I could be wrong (lots of numbers being thrown around here)

but if you guys switch to the 10GB family share value plan, it would be

$100 (10GB of data) + $15/line / month... not sure how dumbphones are handled in this...

but if you get her an iPhone 5c at the subsidized price ($99 down with 2-year contract), you would be paying $40/month ($15/month of that is basically the cost of service for calls and texts + $25 subsidy per month in essence) for that line.

if you brought your own smartphone to the table (say you got one from craigslist or ebay), then you are only paying the $15/line/month on her line... that's where I'm getting the difference in $25/month

so, without phone contracts or subsidized handsets, 2 smartphones would be ($100 + ($15/line))/month
Oh ok right if they are contract free then it'd be $130 for two under the 10GB plan. I was thinking of going the subsidized route though because I don't plan on keeping my iPhone 5. I'll be selling it and putting that toward the subsidized iPhone 6 when that releases as they are and arm and a leg upfront out of contract. I was also thinking of going with the 2GB Mobile Value plan since we don't need that much data. I'm currently grandfathered with unlimited data yet I only average 0.5GB. We're looking more at the 2GB data plan to share with unlimited text and talk (which we dont have now on Family Nation we pay per text).

It'll be $55 2GB month plan + $80 2 iPhones subsidized = $135 before taxes and before we apply a FAN discount were in the process of doing. Does this sound like a good plan based on our minimal data usage?

Last edited:

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Darn, I should of waited to upgrade my other two lines instead of upgrading now. Oh well, I guess I'm going to have to buy the phones out of contract.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Oh ok right if they are contract free then it'd be $130 for two under the 10GB plan. I was thinking of going the subsidized route though because I don't plan on keeping my iPhone 5. I'll be selling it and putting that toward the subsidized iPhone 6 when that releases as they are and arm and a leg upfront out of contract. I was also thinking of going with the 2GB Mobile Value plan since we don't need that much data. I'm currently grandfathered with unlimited data yet I only average 0.5GB. We're looking more at the 2GB data plan to share with unlimited text and talk (which we dont have now on Family Nation we pay per text).

It'll be $55 2GB month plan + $80 2 iPhones subsidized = $135 before taxes and before we apply a FAN discount were in the process of doing. Does this sound like a good plan based on our minimal data usage?

according to this link, it looks like your math is right for 2GB... just keep in mind that while $650 is a lot up front, you do end up paying more for your phone in the long run if you go the subsidized phone route.. just an fyi ;)

I'd say go that route if that works best for you guys. remember, you will have some upfront costs when you do the subsidized route... iPhone 6 base model will likely be $199 up front + a $36 activation fee... and then yes, it's $40/line each month for the entirety of your 2-year contract. The nice thing is that tethering (mobile hotspot) is included in these plans, so you can tether your phone to an iPad or computer if it is needed.. that just dips into your 2GB allotment. Also, AT&T does let you change your data allotment (plan) when you need to, so if you guys figure out you need more or less data, you'll be able to change your plan again down the road.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
according to this link, it looks like your math is right for 2GB... just keep in mind that while $650 is a lot up front, you do end up paying more for your phone in the long run if you go the subsidized phone route.. just an fyi ;)

I'd say go that route if that works best for you guys. remember, you will have some upfront costs when you do the subsidized route... iPhone 6 base model will likely be $199 up front + a $36 activation fee... and then yes, it's $40/line each month for the entirety of your 2-year contract. The nice thing is that tethering (mobile hotspot) is included in these plans, so you can tether your phone to an iPad or computer if it is needed.. that just dips into your 2GB allotment. Also, AT&T does let you change your data allotment (plan) when you need to, so if you guys figure out you need more or less data, you'll be able to change your plan again down the road.
Yeah wasn't sure how much do know going this route while you pay less upfront it is a bit more over the long run. It works for me though as like I said I usually sell my old device then put that toward the new one or hand it down to a family member as you know with AT&T after your contract they are unlocked. Thats the good thing unlike the horror story a member just posted from Tmobile he wasn't allowed to sell or do anything with his phones after he fullfilled the contract. I was going to look into them but no way in hell would I go there after reading that...just ridiculous. That is a good point on us being able to adjust our data plans accordingly if we need to that is nice. Thanks for the advice on everything sometimes these forums can be more helpful than the AT&T reps who try to push AT&T Next on you or only tell you half the price you'll pay when it really is more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.