Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bathurst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
24 hours ago I successfully moved some photos from All Documents to Trash. Suddenly my next attempt resulted in a popup window "Preparing to move to Trash": this window has remained onscreen since then. My only option on this window is to click stop, & now each file I have there runs with "Stopping..."

And of course no further items have been able to be moved to Trash.

Attempts to empty files from Trash result in the message "cannot delete files from Trash as currently files are being moved to Trash."

Please help me escape from the clutches of this dilemma. Thanks.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
24 hours ago I successfully moved some photos from All Documents to Trash. Suddenly my next attempt resulted in a popup window "Preparing to move to Trash": this window has remained onscreen since then. My only option on this window is to click stop, & now each file I have there runs with "Stopping..."

And of course no further items have been able to be moved to Trash.

Attempts to empty files from Trash result in the message "cannot delete files from Trash as currently files are being moved to Trash."

Please help me escape from the clutches of this dilemma. Thanks.

As these files are not wanted, you might want to go through the following (this is a simplistic approach but a good exercise in any case)

1) close your apps and reboot your system and try again
2) try again and if the problem pops up, see what apps are open and shut all apps associated with photo images, try again.
3) check processes active and carefully kill those that need not be open, try again (careful in doing this as you don't want to kill the wrong processes).
4) change the asssociation of these files at least temporarily, then reboot and try again.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
How many GB of files built up in your Trash? Next time, move a few, delete them, move a few more, delete them, etc.

bathurst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2014
As these files are not wanted, you might want to go through the following (this is a simplistic approach but a good exercise in any case)

1) close your apps and reboot your system and try again
2) try again and if the problem pops up, see what apps are open and shut all apps associated with photo images, try again.
3) check processes active and carefully kill those that need not be open, try again (careful in doing this as you don't want to kill the wrong processes).
4) change the asssociation of these files at least temporarily, then reboot and try again.

Thanks very much, phredd.

----------

How many GB of files built up in your Trash? Next time, move a few, delete them, move a few more, delete them, etc.

Thanks very much, Gregg2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.