Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's iOS 7.1 beta 5 release has patched additional exploits (via @iH8sn0w) used for the evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak after the primary kernel exploit was patched in iOS 7.1 beta 4.

Because the main exploits for the jailbreak have been patched, it will not be possible to jailbreak iOS 7.1 using the untethered evasi0n 7 jailbreak, according to iJailbreakEvasion. This means that users who have jailbroken their devices will not be able to upgrade to iOS 7.1 when it is released.

evasi0n_ios_7.jpg
It's 100 percent official that the evasi0n7 UnTethered 7.0.4 jailbreak was partially patched by Apple in their previous beta release, which will effectively render the utility useless once Apple releases 7.1 to the masses.
The site recommends that users who wish to keep their devices jailbroken avoid the latest iOS 7.1 beta and the finalized version of the software "at all costs."

First released in December of last year, the evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak continues to work with iOS devices that are running versions of iOS up to iOS 7.0.5.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Beta 5 Fixes Additional Exploits Used by Evasi0n Jailbreak

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is why I don’t JB (it’s been a long time since I have).

I can appreciate some of the tweaks, it’s a pretty simple process, but I can’t have constant version management issues with a device that’s business (and personal) critical (it’s not unlike a HackInt0sh from my perspective).

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I haven't even gotten to jailbreaking my 5S yet, mostly cause I'm lazy. But I've done it so many times I kinda lost interest with the whole cat and mouse thing. They should of waited til 7.1.

aol

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2002
It's always a chicken-and-egg thing right? Some users really need the jailbreak and are happy to have it sooner rather than later. I'm sure, had the jailbreak team known 7.1 would be coming out "so soon" (where so soon is relative; we're still talking several months after 7.0.5 and 7.1 isn't out YET), they might have chosen to wait.. but then we'd be back in the soup with 7.2. Hopefully the fact that the jailbreak was released early means that there is confidence that there are enough exploits that a 7.1 jailbreak might not be too long in coming. Me personally, I'd kill for an ATV 3 jailbreak. But, PlexConnect makes that much more bearable. (And yes the irony of hoping enough exploits exist is not lost on me)

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I can't use 7.0.4 after using 7.1 and not even a jailbreak is enough to make me stick with slower UI animations and broken gesture animations on iPad.

Should have waited, but the egos at play in the jaikbreak world have messed it up for everyone else.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
this is why they should have waited until 7.1 was out of beta to release the jailbreak
Apple could well have inadvertently closed some of the exploits in iOS 7.1 anyways even if they didn't release evasi0n for iOS 7.0. At least this way people got a jailbreak.

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
"This means that users who have jailbroken their devices will not be able to upgrade to iOS 7.1 when it is released. "

Author probably means that they won't be able to upgrade their device AND jailbreak again..

Anyway nothing that wasn't expected. They didn't wait for 7.1 because they evaders would lose too much money with their Chinese deal (since other parties also had their jailbreak almost ready)

Thepoobear

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Apple could well have inadvertently closed some of the exploits in iOS 7.1 anyways even if they didn't release evasi0n for iOS 7.0. At least this way people got a jailbreak.

No, there was way too much controversy for that to be the case. Looks like greed got the best of different teams. Now we are stuck with a version of iOS that feels a lot like android. Seeing as my iPad does not have many tweaks installed, and that I can live without, at least my iPad five feel like it has been a seven processor.

Edit, before anybody says it yes, I will go to make my own jailbreak now.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
TetherMe, BiteSMS (8.0 beta), f.lux, iTunes Radio Unlimited, and Bloard are my main reasons for staying on 7.0.4 for awhile.

Such a shame since 7.1 seems to bring some much needed updates under the hood.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Jailbreakers blew their wad early, pretty much ruining things for us.

We either have to stay on 7.0.4 to jailbreak, and miss out on the performance and bug fixes in 7.1, or upgrade to 7.1 and do without a jailbreak.

Nice job, guys. I remember when I first read about the 7.0 jailbreak coming out, I remember exactly where I was (Starbucks) and face palming right there. I figured the jailbreaking teams were smarter than this.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
The JB guys could have waited. Sure. But if they always wait for the next big release to reveal their exploit, there wouldn't be any exploits to reveal.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
... Why did they not??? I mean, I literally know NOTHING about coding, and even I know that.... smdh

They were pressured by GeoHot to push out a jailbreak because GeoHot also had a functional one he was close to selling to the Chinese, much like Evad3rs (who were in a contract with TaiG) and they wanted to get their money.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
Maybe this was Apples plan all along.

Release a buggy major version and wait for the jailbreaks to appear then patch them up in the next version so you can only choose to have jailbreak or buggy version.

petepango

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
I can't use 7.0.4 after using 7.1 and not even a jailbreak is enough to make me stick with slower UI animations and broken gesture animations on iPad.

Should have waited, but the egos at play in the jaikbreak world have messed it up for everyone else.

Animation speeds can be completely customized with jailbreak, which I would argue is even better than 7.1's "faster" animations. I use Accelerate "Superman" setting and I bet it is faster than 7.1.

I for one am glad they did not wait: No matter when you release the Jailbreak, Apple will always have an update "just around the corner" with more "UI tweaks" (that you don't even need if you jailbreak). So what are we suppose to do, wait until iphone 6 comes out? This argument is silly, just release the jailbreak when you have it ready, let people enjoy it while they can and choose if they want to upgrade or not.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I will retain my JB by not upgrading. My adblocker is too important to me now on my iPad. I have one app that forces me to view an ad upon opening the app, upon watching each and every one of the videos and upon going back to the app after viewing another app or email. The adblocker I use has made that app useable and made other apps more enjoyable without those annoying video ads and it has stopped being redirected to the app store in Safari and other apps like many complain about.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I will retain my JB by not upgrading. My adblocker is too important to me now on my iPad. I have one app that forces me to view an ad upon opening the app, upon watching each and every one of the videos and upon going back to the app after viewing another app or email. The adblocker I use has made that app useable and made other apps more enjoyable without those annoying video ads and it has stopped being redirected to the app store in Safari and other apps like many complain about.

Depending on the functionality of the app, you can usually just turn on Airplane mode before launching it. Rovio Games for instance (Bejeweled, Angry Birds) are notorious for distracting video and banner ads, but are Ad-free without. Granted, this won't work if a particular app requires internet.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
This is why I don’t JB (it’s been a long time since I have).

I can appreciate some of the tweaks, it’s a pretty simple process, but I can’t have constant version management issues with a device that’s business (and personal) critical (it’s not unlike a HackInt0sh from my perspective).

2zicv0h.jpg
4lrdp4.jpg

Not true. A properly planned and built Hackintosh is more reliable when compared to a Jailbroken iDevice. The above machine runs Mavericks with EVERYTHING working 100% out of the box except for sound... until I installed 1 kext (driver). Because of the vanilla installation with Chimera, updates won't even break this machine.

$1400
Intel Core i7-4770K
Gigabyte Mini-ITX Motherboard
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 760
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
120GB Samsung 840 EVO Solid State Drives (2... 1 for OSX, 1 for Windows 7)
1GB Segate 2.5" HDD
500 Watt Corsair modular power supply
BitFenix Prodigy ITX case (Orange)
Dell U2412M IPS Monitor 1920x1200
Logitech Wireless Solar Keyboard K750 for Mac
Apple Magic Trackpad

A LOT cheaper and better than a comparable iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.